dmm53

FLO's infatuation with Seth Gross

2 hours ago, Husker_Du said:

so wait...let me get this straight...y'all don't think Seth Gross is a Hodge contender?

or you're upset that nomad listed him 1st instead of 2nd or 3rd?

I think most people are pointing out that the only person Flo has hyped for hodge so far is Gross , who has multiple people Olympic redshirting at his weight that would probably be favored over him ,and people like zahid ,Hall and Cenzo all have had more career success then him too..pretty much somes up the whole thread 

Edited by Antitroll2828

5 hours ago, unknown said:

Nomad is a complete clown. i dont put any weight into what he has to say.  what are his accolades? other than working at FLO? 

Ironic for somebody posting as unknown to demand that a sportswriter have accolades.  There is valid criticism that their technique guy may not know what he's talking about because of a lack of accolades, but you don't need to have wrestling accolades to post an article or on a message board (I hope). 

Also, Seth Gross was absolutely dominant the last year he competed and is a big bonus points guy.  He is definitely one of the favorites for the Hodge.  

Edited by Billyhoyle

8 minutes ago, Billyhoyle said:

.Ironic for somebody posting as unknown to demand that a sportswriter have accolades.  There is valid criticism that their technique guy may not know what he's talking about because of a lack of accolades, but you don't need to have wrestling accolades to post an article or on a message board (I hope). 

Also, Seth Gross was absolutely dominant the last year he competed and is a big bonus points guy.  He is definitely one of the favorites for the Hodge.  

I don’t think anyone said he isn’t one of the favorites just that he has a lot of hype while there are a lot of other contenders ..if it came down to it and gross, zahid ,hall and cenzo all finished undefeated gross would most likely be the least deserving based on the weight this year and his past success 

he’s also coming off surgery that people in there 20s do not get and if you do you are never completely the same again 

Edited by Antitroll2828

28 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

..if it came down to it and gross, zahid ,hall and cenzo all finished undefeated gross would most likely be the least deserving based on the weight this year and his past success 

Last year, in the toughest weight, Micic was ranked #1, had beaten the eventual champ, and was the favorite going into the post season before injury. The year before, Gross handled him in the finals and had 80% bonus rate which is higher than the other wrestlers you mentioned. If he repeats that performance, why would he be the least deserving? Im not sure I understand that.

Edited by russelscout

5 minutes ago, russelscout said:

Last year, in the toughest weight, Micic was ranked #1, had beaten the eventual champ, and was the favorite going into the post season before injury. The year before, Gross handled him in the finals. Why would he be the least deserving? Im not sure I understand that.

Because the hodge has 7 different criteria and gross would be last in 2 of the them out of the people named 

38 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

I don’t think anyone said he isn’t one of the favorites just that he has a lot of hype while there are a lot of other contenders ..if it came down to it and gross, zahid ,hall and cenzo all finished undefeated gross would most likely be the least deserving based on the weight this year and his past success 

he’s also coming off surgery that people in there 20s do not get and if you do you are never completely the same again 

Except the Hodge considers bonus points as the #2 criterium and it doesn't always go to the best wrestler or wrestler with the most prior accomplishments because of this. All four of those wrestlers are previous NCAA champions and none of them is a potential 4X champ, so my guess is this upcoming year will likely be based on bonus points.  

Edited by Billyhoyle

2 minutes ago, russelscout said:

What are the two? Past credentials(debatable) and...?

Debatable? He didn’t place one year and had 14 loses compared to guys who have less 6 career loses. And character is another of the criteria and he’s been kicked out of one school and then transferred to another (not saying gross is a bad guy at all) but compared to the other guys he ll finish last in that category that’s 2 of 7 he’ll be last and his weight class is real watered down, just a few things working against him 

4 minutes ago, Billyhoyle said:

Except the Hodge considers bonus points as the #2 criterium and it doesn't always go to the best wrestler or wrestler with the most prior accomplishments because of this. All four of those wrestlers are previous NCAA champions and none of them is a potential 4X champ, so my guess is this upcoming year will likely be based on bonus points.  

In your opinion if cenzo goes 30-0 beats marinelli and wick 2x each but has like 16 bonus wins he wouldn’t deserve the hodge of gross if he’s 30-0 with 24 bonus points in a weaker weight? 

4 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

In your opinion if cenzo goes 30-0 beats marinelli and wick 2x each but has like 16 bonus wins he wouldn’t deserve the hodge of gross if he’s 30-0 with 24 bonus points in a weaker weight? 

Well Gross's will likely be Techs and Cenzo's major decisions, which makes a huge difference.  Also, Cenzo got exposed last year and won't be able to avenge the loss.  I think the Hodge is between Valencia and Gross.  Hall is world class, but his losses to Valencia give the edge to Zahid.  

Edited by Billyhoyle

1 minute ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Debatable? He didn’t place one year and had 14 loses compared to guys who have less 6 career loses. And character is another of the criteria and he’s been kicked out of one school and then transferred to another (not saying gross is a bad guy at all) but compared to the other guys he ll finish last in that category that’s 2 of 7 he’ll be last and his weight class is real watered down, just a few things working against him 

He also got second in a weight class losing to Clark, a 2 time finalist and finishing above a former champ in Nato and dominated the following year. I dont know, but my guess is that the voters will stop at counting losses from his freshmen year and have enough perspective to see that he got way better.... I mean they did that with Jordan Burroughs.

And character? Has he had an issue since? No? Positive changes deserves recognition imo.

Also, you are ignoring the fact that all of these criteria are not weighted equally.

9 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Why is it a weaker weight? If he beats Desanto in the finals, Desanto beat the champ last year and AAd at, according to John Smith, one of the toughest weights in history.

On 11/2/2019 at 6:33 PM, Husker_Du said:

so wait...let me get this straight...y'all don't think Seth Gross is a Hodge contender?

or you're upset that nomad listed him 1st instead of 2nd or 3rd?

My beef with Gross was that he's ranked as the pound for pound #1 wrestler in college. I'm not talking about Hodge at all. There's no way Gross should be ahead of Zahid. Gross only has 1 title and didn't even wrestle last year.  

9 minutes ago, Erminio8 said:

My beef with Gross was that he's ranked as the pound for pound #1 wrestler in college. I'm not talking about Hodge at all. There's no way Gross should be ahead of Zahid. Gross only has 1 title and didn't even wrestle last year.  

Zahid had 2 losses last year. Hall I get, but Daniel Lewis was never a champ. I see the arguement for both, but its not definitively Zahid either.

Gross’ losses as a freshman would lay heavier than Zahid’s loss to Lewis last year, but I don’t think either will weigh heavily. Quality of competition counts and really looking at the top four contenders it’s anyone’s guess there how that shakes out. Gross I would think would not be near the top there. Bonus point wins are not a criteria but pins are. Gross might have a leg up there as the other three are not big time pinners. And I don’t think we want to leave Cassar and Lee out of the Hodge talk either. 

All that said, no biggie with the hype they’re giving Gross. He’s a big pre-season story. As the season rolls on others will be hyped as well. 

8 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Gross’ losses as a freshman would lay heavier than Zahid’s loss to Lewis last year, but I don’t think either will weigh heavily. Quality of competition counts and really looking at the top four contenders it’s anyone’s guess there how that shakes out. Gross I would think would not be near the top there. Bonus point wins are not a criteria but pins are. Gross might have a leg up there as the other three are not big time pinners. And I don’t think we want to leave Cassar and Lee out of the Hodge talk either. 

All that said, no biggie with the hype they’re giving Gross. He’s a big pre-season story. As the season rolls on others will be hyped as well. 

Wouldn't the season they competed in most recent to this season be weighted much more heavily than one from 4 years ago? I would think at this point his freshman year wouldn't even be considered.  As far as quality of competition, Gross did get 2nd in a very tough weight, and he did beat Micic handedly. I'm surprised most dont see that as a win over significant competition considering he beat Suriano last year, got hurt and still placed third in a very tough weight class. 

On 11/2/2019 at 2:56 AM, dmm53 said:

FLO (and more specifically "Nomad") seems to be a little infatuated with Seth Gross as the very top Hodge contender.   Is Gross really the best NCAA wrestler?

They conveniently emphasize his last two years wrestling (excluding of course 2018-19 when he received an extra year due to an injury after one match).

But they ignore his 14 losses as a redshirt freshman. 

Gross is DNP, 2 and 1 overall in terms of finish.  Note the DNP. 

Compare that with Joseph (1,1,2) or Hall (1, 2, 2) or Valencia (3, 1, 1) or Spencer Lee (1, 1).  Translation: it's no genuine comparison.

Gross has never had a perfect season, though FLO likes to point out that neither Joseph nor Hall have had perfect seasons without acknowledging Gross' lack of perfection or his many, many losses in his freshman year, far, far more than other top contenders.

Gross will also benefit from the absence of Fix, Suriano, and Micic this year.  They are elite competitors.  FLO conveniently ignores that point.  That is a kind of dishonesty by omission.

Is Gross really (or likely) the top wrestler in NCAAs?  I think not. And, I suspect, many others feel this way, too. 

In no way is Gross better than Lee, Valencia, Hall, or Joseph, whose records, history, and habitual or continued dominance exceed Gross'.

Yes, there is specific Hodge criteria.  But FLO seems to cultivate it's favorites.  Gross has a very good top game, but there are plenty of others who can hang with him on his feet, and if the three Olympic redshirt wrestlers weren't missing this year, Gross might not even make the finals.  133 is much, much weaker this year than last year. 

Although not a Hodge criterion, Gross has none of the freestyle credentials of Hall, Lee or even Valencia, as well.

Let's not anoint someone before they've earned ti.

Why are you so butthurt about it?  It's a prediction.  Let the season and the individual results speak for themselves.  I look at Flo as providing opinion, along with more video than ever before.  I can then watch my own two, beady little eyes as to who I think is really the Hodge favorite, and blammo... they can be supported or debunked.  This thread seems more about butthurt than substance.