dmm53

FLO's infatuation with Seth Gross

On 11/2/2019 at 3:56 AM, dmm53 said:

FLO (and more specifically "Nomad") seems to be a little infatuated with Seth Gross as the very top Hodge contender.   Is Gross really the best NCAA wrestler?

They conveniently emphasize his last two years wrestling (excluding of course 2018-19 when he received an extra year due to an injury after one match).

But they ignore his 14 losses as a redshirt freshman. 

Gross is DNP, 2 and 1 overall in terms of finish.  Note the DNP. 

Compare that with Joseph (1,1,2) or Hall (1, 2, 2) or Valencia (3, 1, 1) or Spencer Lee (1, 1).  Translation: it's no genuine comparison.

Gross has never had a perfect season, though FLO likes to point out that neither Joseph nor Hall have had perfect seasons without acknowledging Gross' lack of perfection or his many, many losses in his freshman year, far, far more than other top contenders.

Gross will also benefit from the absence of Fix, Suriano, and Micic this year.  They are elite competitors.  FLO conveniently ignores that point.  That is a kind of dishonesty by omission.

Is Gross really (or likely) the top wrestler in NCAAs?  I think not. And, I suspect, many others feel this way, too. 

In no way is Gross better than Lee, Valencia, Hall, or Joseph, whose records, history, and habitual or continued dominance exceed Gross'.

Yes, there is specific Hodge criteria.  But FLO seems to cultivate it's favorites.  Gross has a very good top game, but there are plenty of others who can hang with him on his feet, and if the three Olympic redshirt wrestlers weren't missing this year, Gross might not even make the finals.  133 is much, much weaker this year than last year. 

Although not a Hodge criterion, Gross has none of the freestyle credentials of Hall, Lee or even Valencia, as well.

Let's not anoint someone before they've earned ti.

Do you feel you missed the mark here? Im really not trying to rub it in. I am just curious if Gross's freestyle performance changed your feelings about the hype flo is giving Gross.

Edited by russelscout

Gross was a Hodge finalist in 2018, someone must have mentioned that. His only loss in 2018 was 2-4 up a weight vs Bryce Meredith who went on to win nationals at 141 that year. He had two losses in 2017 and took second. I know I’m late to the party here but I think he deserves to be considered in the mix. 

4 minutes ago, BigTimeFan said:

Gross was a Hodge finalist in 2018, someone must have mentioned that. His only loss in 2018 was 2-4 up a weight vs Bryce Meredith who went on to win nationals at 141 that year. He had two losses in 2017 and took second. I know I’m late to the party here but I think he deserves to be considered in the mix. 

Meredith lost to Yianni in the national championship that year. Your point still remains that he was a very good NCAA wrestler though. 

1 hour ago, goheels1812 said:

Meredith lost to Yianni in the national championship that year. Your point still remains that he was a very good NCAA wrestler though. 

My bad. Thanks for pointing that out. I think people who point out Gross’s mediocre results his first years at 141 are correct in asking how to figure a wrestler who’s career isn’t fabulous every year. My view is solidly in the “it’s not where you start but where you end up” camp. I think that Royce Alger only started three years as an example. How does that compare to a middling freshman year ?