Sign in to follow this  
goheels1812

Sasso

Wow. Saw the results from today and I’m really impressed. Especially with the tech over Storr. 

I started this thread because I’m curious if any buckeye fans (or anyone else) could give me some info on why they think Sasso had that stumble in freestyle against Brayton Lee? Was he gassed or is it a stylistic thing? Do you think it will transfer over to folk style? 

As a UNC fan I was hoping this could be Austin O’Conner’s year to bring back a National championship to chapel hill. But now I’m inclined to think Sasso is starting to feel like he could be special and a possible 4 timer. Obviously lots of wrestling left to do. Just some early season thoughts. 

Edited by goheels1812

No answers but felt like pointing out that Sasso and Lee still may have a some epic battles to come.   I could definitely  see each standing in the others way to make the Big 10 and/or NCAA finalist soon   And we may likely see the culmination of the rivalry as a finals match at some point. 

12 hours ago, MadMardigain said:

No answers but felt like pointing out that Sasso and Lee still may have a some epic battles to come.   I could definitely  see each standing in the others way to make the Big 10 and/or NCAA finalist soon   And we may likely see the culmination of the rivalry as a finals match at some point. 

Definitely! Lee had a close one with a tough Rohlfing to make his debut. Excited to see them battle.

Based on what I saw, if the NCAA tourney were tomorrow, Sasso would be the favorite to win it.  But it's a long season and lots of time for coaches to devise strategies to combat the things he does well.  If nothing else, however, I'd suggest you purchase his matches on Track.  Sasso is worth watching.  

What has been impressive about Sasso is the development of his handfighting and physicality in the last year.  He was always incredible defending other's shots and turning them into his own points but his offensive attacks right now are varied and relentless.  He looks bigger and more fit than last year as well.

On 11/3/2019 at 12:09 AM, goheels1812 said:

Wow. Saw the results from today and I’m really impressed. Especially with the tech over Storr. 

I started this thread because I’m curious if any buckeye fans (or anyone else) could give me some info on why they think Sasso had that stumble in freestyle against Brayton Lee? Was he gassed or is it a stylistic thing?

I thought he gassed badly in that match.  .

I expected Sasso to win the tournament, but didn't expect him to dominate a guy like Storr that easily.  

Of course his wrestling was great, but I was most impressed with his gas tank.  He showed it in his wrestle-off, and again Saturday in the final, late in the match up big he could have just sat on the major but continued to lay it on.  I don't think we would have seen that last year. 

In this sort of shape it's going to be hard for guys to keep up with the number of ways Sammy can score in all three positions. 

Sasso looked really good, no other way to describe it. HOWEVER I think people (not necessarily on this thread but on social media and elsewhere on these message boards) need to take it down a notch when it comes to the Hodge talk and him being the big favorite to win 149 in March now.

Storr did not look very good yesterday, and I’m not just taking about during his match with Sasso. He needed overtime to beat Keshawn Hayes and SV OT to beat Mason Smith. Those guys aren’t scrubs but 

Storr is on an “Olympic redshirt” this season. I put it in quotes because everybody knows he probably won’t even make the trials and this is really just Michigan punting on the season to make a run at a team title next year. In other words he’s probably 1) hardly in peak shape on Nov 2nd; and 2) not doing much folk wrestling, especially on bottom. That’s what it looked like yesterday...especially point #2.

Is Sasso very much in the mix to win a weak 149 this year? For sure...but I’m not reading too much into what he did against a red shirting Storr this weekend.

Edited by MDogg

22 minutes ago, MDogg said:

HOWEVER I think people (not necessarily on this thread but on social media and elsewhere on these message boards) need to take it down a notch when it comes to the Hodge talk and him being the big favorite to win 149 in March now.

I saw some of that on twitter and thought that most of it was tongue-in-cheek.  Agree on your overarching point though, he won the MSU open, not the Olympic Team Trials.  

1 hour ago, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

I saw some of that on twitter and thought that most of it was tongue-in-cheek.  Agree on your overarching point though, he won the MSU open, not the Olympic Team Trials.  

Could’ve been but given how wide open 149 is and how good he looked I thought it was too plausible to just be a joke

I suggest we revisit each week, and determine if his continued performances remain Hodge-worthy.  After this first weekend, the answer is emphatically "yes". 

He will be tested further, and if he continues to major, tech, pinfall through guys, it will be very hard to deny his "worthiness".

149 has definitely cleared out. 

Keep in mind that he gave Micah (NCAA Runner-Up) ALL he could handle while in Redshirt (similar argument to the above regarding Storr). 

43 minutes ago, treep2000 said:

I suggest we revisit each week, and determine if his continued performances remain Hodge-worthy.  After this first weekend, the answer is emphatically "yes". 

He will be tested further, and if he continues to major, tech, pinfall through guys, it will be very hard to deny his "worthiness".

149 has definitely cleared out. 

Keep in mind that he gave Micah (NCAA Runner-Up) ALL he could handle while in Redshirt (similar argument to the above regarding Storr). 

It’s early but after 1 weekend of wrestling I’ve got the contenders as Sasso, Mauller, and O’Conner. Mauller looked excellent at the southeast open, but he didn’t really face any high level competition. O’Conner is dinged up and hasn’t wrestled yet but I’m giving him the benefit of the doubt because of his NCAA run last year and his head to head victory over Mauller. 

4 minutes ago, goheels1812 said:

It’s early but after 1 weekend of wrestling I’ve got the contenders as Sasso, Mauller, and O’Conner. Mauller looked excellent at the southeast open, but he didn’t really face any high level competition. O’Conner is dinged up and hasn’t wrestled yet but I’m giving him the benefit of the doubt because of his NCAA run last year and his head to head victory over Mauller. 

There are other contenders too. 

I’m on the Sasso train, but he didn’t beat any AA contenders really. We need to see him against other top 10 guys.

O Conner is still the most likely to win imo