scribe

World Series champs Washington. What do you guys think?

Not the best team by all measures except for the final series. Didn’t even win their division. Not even the second best squad in their league. How is this possible that not the best team could win it all? Unlike wrestling coddling the best squads with the most money to do the best recruiting, handing them team championships; MLB creates exciting team sport. I’m sure the Yankees hate this format. I wonder if Brands and Carl watch baseball?

Why would the Yankees hate this format? They’ve won 27 titles. The next closest is 11.  It’s also not really comparable. Two elite pitchers can win you a World Series. Two elite wrestlers can not win you an NCAA championship.

There have been some good wrestler baseball players. Edd Ott was an ex wrestler and the catcher on the 1979 champion Pirates team. Got his autograph at Wrigley Field once -- Popeye forearms. The Oklahoma heavyweight Ross Larson was a really good baseball player. Probably forgetting others.

Watching the World Series I couldn't help but think that Burroughs or Green or maybe Zain should be happy that Jose Altuve grew up in Venezuela. If he was from the U.S. he wouldn't have been taken seriously as a baseball player at 5'5" and would have ended up wrestling. If so he would have been incredible with his strength, balance, and explosiveness. Just don't know what weight he'd have been with wrestling training. 

5 hours ago, scribe said:

Best team should win it all the time. 

I can’t tell if this is sarcasm?  If not, that’s dumb since if that’s the case there shouldn’t even be a playoffs (and in the case of wrestling, a postseason).

I’m not really sure what the point of the OP is?   Is it advocating for a dual team championship?  Because I’m sure even if that was the case PSU would probably have just as many championships.

8 hours ago, simple said:

Why would the Yankees hate this format? They’ve won 27 titles. The next closest is 11.  It’s also not really comparable. Two elite pitchers can win you a World Series. Two elite wrestlers can not win you an NCAA championship.

In Ice Hockey ONE hot goalie and you can beat anyone. The only team sport I can see where one player can make that much difference.

In baseball you can have a 30 game winning pitcher but, the rest of the time...

In wrestling you can have 3 NCAA champs and still not win it all. Iowa State with Sanderson, Heskett and Holker all winning titles and the Cyclones did not get the team title.

Edited by WillieBoy

Carl and Brands know in a dual, if they give up bonus points at some weaker weights against a top 6 squad or a few negating match ups with their top wrestlers at other weights, they are in a very difficult situation. Duals are for more sporting than tallying tournament points.

7 minutes ago, scribe said:

Carl and Brands know in a dual, if they give up bonus points at some weaker weights against a top 6 squad or a few negating match ups with their top wrestlers at other weights, they are in a very difficult situation. Duals are for more sporting than tallying tournament points.

I wouldn’t hate a duals tournament deciding the team title, but I just don’t think that would’ve resulted in Penn State winning any less titles.  Sure they’ve lost some duals over the years, but they also lost some B10 tourneys too.  So if duals crowned the champion, Cael would’ve had his team ready (and I’m not a PSU fan).