scribe

World Series champs Washington. What do you guys think?

You are conditioned to believe the favorite will translate to win. It often does mean that in all sports, but not always, which makes it sporting. When it always does mean win as it has in wrestling tournament team scoring, that removes the ‘sport’ from the conversation. 

18 minutes ago, scribe said:

You are conditioned to believe the favorite will translate to win. It often does mean that in all sports, but not always, which makes it sporting. When it always does mean win as it has in wrestling tournament team scoring, that removes the ‘sport’ from the conversation. 

So how is that any different than with the title being decided by the individual tournament though?  The favorite doesn't always have to win, and in many individual weights they don't.   PSU is just that much better.    A better comparison would probably be to something like the PSU women's volleyball team, who won 102 straight games and 4 straight championships in the late 2000's, despite a team tournament format, edit: or maybe even UCONN women's basketball.

The thing with wrestling though is you still need an individual tournament.  So even if  duals did decide the team title, I don't think you could let more than 16 teams or so into the tournament, unlike in basketball.

Edited by 1032004

13 hours ago, 1032004 said:

I can’t tell if this is sarcasm?  If not, that’s dumb since if that’s the case there shouldn’t even be a playoffs (and in the case of wrestling, a postseason).

I’m not really sure what the point of the OP is?   Is it advocating for a dual team championship?  Because I’m sure even if that was the case PSU would probably have just as many championships.

The point of the OP is that he is butthurt that PSU wins so much and he wants to make sure you know about his butthurt. 

You can win a dual with only 5 good wrestlers, but you can't win an NCAA Ch. with only 5 good wrestlers. Case closed.

1 hour ago, 1032004 said:

So what year do you think PSU would have lost if it was a duals format?

About 1/3 of them is my best guess. Maybe more. Pick any year. That’s how sports work. Just ask the best end of year teams in mlb this year. 

24 minutes ago, scribe said:

About 1/3 of them is my best guess. Maybe more. Pick any year. That’s how sports work. Just ask the best end of year teams in mlb this year. 

Lol, apples and oranges considering those are all true team sports.   And yet even in team sports there have been dynasties.  

Uconn women’s b-ball won 4 in a row.  PSU  women’s volleyball won 4 in a row.  2 teams have won the last 4 college football playoffs.  The Warriors won 3 out of 4.  The Patriots won 3 out of 4.  Even in baseball the Yankees won 3 in a row.

When the separation between the “best team” is that much, they will usually win.   Comparing PSU wrestling to present day MLB is silly.

1 hour ago, scribe said:

One is a team sport. The other is not. Comparison is instructional 

If you’re referring to duals vs the individual tournament (hard to tell based on your writing), now you’re moving the goalposts.

I agree a duals format would be more fitting of a team sport, but I think PSU likely would have been just as dominant 

On 11/3/2019 at 1:31 PM, ionel said:

Who was the last undefeated MLB team?

Could any wrestler in college go undefeated in 162 matches in a 6 month period against collegiate competition?  Even Cael only won 159 over 4 years.  With 78 D1 programs this individual would wrestle every starter an expected 2.08 times, but some more other less or not at all.  Would Yianni (29-0), Ashnault (32-0), Nolf (31-0), or Nickal (30-0) have been able to win another 130 matches last year?

2 hours ago, Fishbane said:

Could any wrestler in college go undefeated in 162 matches in a 6 month period against collegiate competition?  Even Cael only won 159 over 4 years.  With 78 D1 programs this individual would wrestle every starter an expected 2.08 times, but some more other less or not at all.  Would Yianni (29-0), Ashnault (32-0), Nolf (31-0), or Nickal (30-0) have been able to win another 130 matches last year?

More likely to win all in one year rather than stay motivated for four.

They didn’t even win their division. Entered the playoffs as the wildcard selection. Ground through three different best of series and did the unthinkable. That’s a great sports story!

Now they are on top of the world!!!!!

DC5BC340-EA02-4EDA-BD8C-79B5ACD4EC10.jpeg

2 hours ago, scribe said:

They didn’t even win their division. Entered the playoffs as the wildcard selection. Ground through three different best of series and did the unthinkable. That’s a great sports story!

Now they are on top of the world!!!!!

DC5BC340-EA02-4EDA-BD8C-79B5ACD4EC10.jpeg

And there were several years PSU didn’t win their conference.  Sports baby!!

10 hours ago, Plasmodium said:

More likely to win all in one year rather than stay motivated for four.

Nickal would have won another 730 matches or more against college competition.  I think the other 3 would all get tripped up at least once though with that many matches in one year.