WillieBoy

Penn State - only one tournament?

Army-West Point invitational tournament.

No others.

No Southern Scuffle. No Reno. None as a team.

Schedule looks light this year overall.

Part of the plan to keep guys healthy? Travel difficulties? What?

Few in-season tournaments, just Conference and NCAA finals.

Is this a trend we'll see with more schools skipping tournaments where the athletes get in a bunch of matches over a couple days?

How many matches are PSU guys going to have this year?? 15?  The schedule looks incredibly light... Not saying its the wrong thing for the wrestlers (it might be the best strategy) but its disappointing as a fan to not see them against other top competition.

The expectation is that they will have a bunch of guys wrestling in Dallas in December, and potentially at the Schultz in January as well. Hence the huge gap in their schedule between the Penn dual on 12/8 and Illinois on 1/10.  Perhaps they will send a decent contingent to Midlands as well? 

I count ~18 matches prior to Big 10's if guys don't miss a single event on the schedule.  

8 minutes ago, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

The expectation is that they will have a bunch of guys wrestling in Dallas in December, and potentially at the Schultz in January as well. Hence the huge gap in their schedule between the Penn dual on 12/8 and Illinois on 1/10.  Perhaps they will send a decent contingent to Midlands as well? 

I count ~18 matches prior to Big 10's if guys don't miss a single event on the schedule.  

Does this become an argument for having Freestyle in college or solidify the idea that you can do both? I can't decide. 

12 minutes ago, Lurker said:

I think it’s wise actually. I don’t think you need 10 matches a month at this level. 

I think that is probably true for a big ten team. If you want to get the tough matches in and you are in another conference you almost have to go to tourneys don't you?

1 minute ago, russelscout said:

I think that is probably true for a big ten team. If you want to get the tough matches in and you are in another conference you almost have to go to tourneys don't you?

Yeah but you don’t have to avg ten a month to get them. (I don’t know if that’s the exact average just guessing here). Also I wasn’t really talking so much about PSU’s particular schedule (what tournaments they are vs aren’t going to) but more the number of matches.

To your point, whether or not you are in the big ten is certainly a factor in how you do you’re scheduling. 

Why the NCAA season starts with tournaments, then goes to a couple duals a week, then it’s back to tournaments for all the marbles, I can’t figure out. It seems it would be beneficial for all to flip it. Just my thoughts. I’m sure there are pros to current set up I’m not aware of. 

14 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Why the NCAA season starts with tournaments, then goes to a couple duals a week, then it’s back to tournaments for all the marbles, I can’t figure out. It seems it would be beneficial for all to flip it. Just my thoughts. I’m sure there are pros to current set up I’m not aware of. 

I think you have to spread out the tournaments because they are much rougher on the body.

1 minute ago, russelscout said:

Its just so unique to wrestling. I can't think of any other sport where a team would do this.

Well... it's really not that big of a change.  All they did was take 1 event off of their schedule.  Last year they had 14 duals, Keystone Classic, and Southern Scuffle.  This year they have 14 duals and the Army Invite.  Hard to blame them for not wanting to show up at the Scuffle with a skeleton squad.  

I don't think people would freak out too much if Kansas skipped the Maui Invitational one year.  

9 minutes ago, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

Well... it's really not that big of a change.  All they did was take 1 event off of their schedule.  Last year they had 14 duals, Keystone Classic, and Southern Scuffle.  This year they have 14 duals and the Army Invite.  Hard to blame them for not wanting to show up at the Scuffle with a skeleton squad.  

I don't think people would freak out too much if Kansas skipped the Maui Invitational one year.  

Its not missing the tourney that is strange. Remember when Iowa didn't go to midlands a couple years back and everyone lost their mind? Its missing it to go to freestyle tourney in the middle of the season. I can't quite figure out how I feel about that. 

The Black Knight invite is a relatively small tournament.  The shift you are seeing is less open tournaments for STARTERS in place of small quality tournaments.  Opens seem to be for split squads, redshirts and DIII competitors who want a step up.

10 hours ago, russelscout said:

Its not missing the tourney that is strange. Remember when Iowa didn't go to midlands a couple years back and everyone lost their mind? Its missing it to go to freestyle tourney in the middle of the season. I can't quite figure out how I feel about that. 

Presumably they want to qualify as many guys as possible for Olympic Team Trials, which are being held at the Bryce Jordan Center.

I know I tweeted a couple of hours ago that I predict Penn State will win nationals (but not Big Ten's...I predict Iowa will win those), but the only question I have about that is it wouldn't surprise me to see Penn State "train through" NCAA's in order to peak for their home OTT's two weeks later.

6 hours ago, SetonHallPirate said:

Presumably they want to qualify as many guys as possible for Olympic Team Trials, which are being held at the Bryce Jordan Center.

I know I tweeted a couple of hours ago that I predict Penn State will win nationals (but not Big Ten's...I predict Iowa will win those), but the only question I have about that is it wouldn't surprise me to see Penn State "train through" NCAA's in order to peak for their home OTT's two weeks later.

That would surprise me if they trained thru something as big as NCAA's. That's what they use the dual season for. They'd have to really believe they can win NCAA's no matter what. Not so sure that is the case. Now, that all can change of course. 

13 hours ago, SetonHallPirate said:

Sorry for the dumb question, but what does it mean for PSU to “train through” nationals? Like not compete their hardest and save it all for trials? Or to train hard when maybe they should be going light during NCAA week? 

23 minutes ago, pamela said:

Sorry for the dumb question, but what does it mean for PSU to “train through” nationals? Like not compete their hardest and save it all for trials? Or to train hard when maybe they should be going light during NCAA week? 

Not doing the taper down phase. (I’m guessing that’s what he/she meant. Maybe I shouldn’t speak for them)

Got it, thanks! It also makes me wonder if “training through” has implications for weight cutting, like if it puts anyone at risk of not making weight at NCAAs because they’re trying to get to their OTT weight which might be a little different. 

The timing of trials and the UWW qualification schedule in general is pretty rough this year.

In a shocking development, Carl had a long-term plan in mind and is executing it. Word on the street is that he may have even told this to folks on the recruiting trail so they could plan their collegiate careers and align with senior-level goals accordingly. So dastardly and cunning!

/s

On 11/4/2019 at 1:10 PM, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

When is the Schultz in January?  Thanks in advance.