Lurker

Willie at Flo

7 hours ago, alliseeisgold said:

True. alot of them do look like nerds. Does anybody really believe Pyles, Spey, or nomad actually wrestled ? I'm guessing they weren't pretty good if they did or they lied and said they did.

Pyles and nomad have been pretty open that they weren’t very good wrestlers. Imo they didn’t need to be great wrestlers to be good wrestling journalists. 

3 minutes ago, Ogalthorpe Haywood said:

Imo they didn’t need to be great wrestlers to be good wrestling journalists. 

True. But neither Pyles nor whatshisname a journalist, let alone a good one.

I don't know how you can spin this any way other than as a big loss for Flo, and even more so for fans of FRL and WNO.  Anyway, good luck to Willie.  Curious to see what he does next, whether it's Rofkin, another wrestling media outlet, or some other platform.  

And for those of you clamoring for a more professional or buttoned-up broadcast, go watch the Big 10 network.  

Edited by steamboat_charlie v2

7 minutes ago, MDogg said:

You think someone created a fake website to fabricate that Spey finished 3rd in the 1999 District 10 sectionals?

I'd believe it more if it was text over a random picture posted by my crazy aunt on Facebook.

46 minutes ago, Plasmodium said:

Is the crazy aunt of yours in the Guinness book of world records?   She must be 130 or 140.

Yes she is, Aunt Polly is a saint...well other than her oversharing of memes on Facebook.

Was Willie orchestrating the bathroom shenanigans from afar and he got busted?

Well, I’m mixed about impact to FRL and Flo.  He did bring personality and amusement to the broadcast at times and it is good when not all agree on everything.  

But ... his contribution was often repeating what someone else said, but taking a long time to say it.  (Sometimes he did have a nugget of wisdom.)

I will be curious to see where he goes.  The excitement and fun he could bring to a broadcast was real.  

Like I said - mixed emotions.

11 minutes ago, nom said:

Was Willie orchestrating the bathroom shenanigans from afar and he got busted?

Well, I’m mixed about impact to FRL and Flo.  He did bring personality and amusement to the broadcast at times and it is good when not all agree on everything.  

But ... his contribution was often repeating what someone else said, but taking a long time to say it.  (Sometimes he did have a nugget of wisdom.)

I will be curious to see where he goes.  The excitement and fun he could bring to a broadcast was real.  

Like I said - mixed emotions.

Yah, he wasn’t so great at hot takes and some of the analysis stuff but Flo and FRL should have played more to his strengths. And it was kind of annoying how he was often treated by the FRL guys. Seemed pretty disrespectful at times.

If JO hangs it up after this Olympic cycle, maybe he and Willie could spin up a wrestling related project out in Easton.

6 hours ago, Ogalthorpe Haywood said:

Pyles and nomad have been pretty open that they weren’t very good wrestlers. Imo they didn’t need to be great wrestlers to be good wrestling journalists. 

Andy Hamilton, sports journalist that wrote about Iowa for years and now works for trackwrestling never wrestled did he? He's among the best out there.

Edited by russelscout

57 minutes ago, Ogalthorpe Haywood said:

Like them or not but they have helped wrestling 

Like them or not but they're not """good wrestling journalists""".

Edited by jon

1 hour ago, jon said:

Like them or not but they're not """good wrestling journalists""".

Didn't Willie win an award named wrestling journalist of the year or something like that?  I don't think there are rankings for wrestling journalists, but he's gotta be top 10 even if he has fallen off from his award winning 2012 season.

thanks for the mostly kind words guys. (also thanks for following some of my work over the years).

i'll give an explanation sometime in the next couple days. still love the guys at flo and appreciate all the invaluable opportunities 

they've given me over the years. but also looking forward to doing my own thing and the excitement and challenges that come with it. 

Edited by Husker_Du