Lurker

Willie at Flo

Saylor was almost always the most non-rational and emotionally volatile of the FLO bunch and also the most socially conservative, being the small town guy who returned early and often and eventually (so it appears) for good to "the nest" in Easton.

He is clearly knowledgable and passionate about wrestling and can be kind of witty at times, too.

At FLO, he seemed to stand for a sort of local no-nonsense and home-grown pragmatism in the debates and heated discussions  in contrast to (or in-between) Nomad's cosmopolitanism (and eccentricity) and Pyle's moralism, nationalism (jingoism?), and uncompromising defense of so-called principles.

Maybe Saylor was the emotional Id (and kid) while "Christian" Pyles' was the Superego (and self-appointed conscience); and Nomad the more rational and modulating Ego.

I'm not sure if or how that correlates to, say, Larry, Mo, and Curley of "The Three Stooges" . . . or the trio of Kramer, George and Jerry of "Seinfeld" but there clearly was a distinct dynamic (even "dialectricity" dare we say) and often playful absurdity to their conversations and colloquies.

In any event, it was an interesting run through 400 and some odd shows as well as all the accompanying matches and tournaments.

Going to disagree with the point about the Olympic mat official assignments.  It is fine to use simple statistics to identify correlations.  Once found, can point to it and say that a set of correlation that could occur due to wrong doing that many already suspect, should be explored and investigated.

For example, increased cancer incidence along a river.  Red flag.  No known cause.  Could simply be natural variation.  But there is a chemical plant up river.  Press says, this looks bad - investigate it.  Raises red flags. Gets public and leadership attention on it.  This is the function of the press.

Flo raised a red flag.  Got needed attention.  They don’t need to ‘prove’ it with documents.  

What they did worked and helped to partially fix a system ripe for corruption.  Kudos to them.

Only watch Flo for the video, dont really get involved in the marketing/ hype driven  FRL commentary.  Willie kept a even keel and was solid on calling matches and actually got the names of the scoring wrestlers correct which cannot be said about the rest, especially bader.

11 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

I liked Willie the most on FRL. Without Willie, today's FRL seemed stale and boring. 

What did you like best about him? Was it the habit of repeating something one of the other guys had just said or was it is tendancy to be longwinded and come to no conclusion at all? I like Willie on FRL because he was a character, but I dont think they lost anything that cannot be replaced. 

4 hours ago, nom said:

Going to disagree with the point about the Olympic mat official assignments.  It is fine to use simple statistics to identify correlations.  Once found, can point to it and say that a set of correlation that could occur due to wrong doing that many already suspect, should be explored and investigated.

For example, increased cancer incidence along a river.  Red flag.  No known cause.  Could simply be natural variation.  But there is a chemical plant up river.  Press says, this looks bad - investigate it.  Raises red flags. Gets public and leadership attention on it.  This is the function of the press.

Flo raised a red flag.  Got needed attention.  They don’t need to ‘prove’ it with documents.  

What they did worked and helped to partially fix a system ripe for corruption.  Kudos to them.

If all they said was, “this looks bad, investigate it,” that would have been fine. The problem is that they used their statistical analysis as the investigation and claimed UWW rigged the Olympics. They either need to, like you suggest, speculate and not be investigative journalists. Or if they want to make accusations, do the legwork necessary to substantiate those accusations. 

38 minutes ago, russelscout said:

What did you like best about him? Was it the habit of repeating something one of the other guys had just said or was it is tendancy to be longwinded and come to no conclusion at all? I like Willie on FRL because he was a character, but I dont think they lost anything that cannot be replaced. 

Somewhat agree but Pyles is arrogant and comes off like a band geek so he won't be able to carry the show now. In fact, the remaining cast all comes off as nerdy frat boys and the show has lost what little personality it had in the form of Willie despite the flaws you correctly point out above. 

This thread gets really good on page four! Thank you, all, for nice discussion of Rio reporting. Those who wrote-in ought to move to Austin lol.

Edited by jon

42 minutes ago, Billyhoyle said:

If all they said was, “this looks bad, investigate it,” that would have been fine. The problem is that they used their statistical analysis as the investigation and claimed UWW rigged the Olympics. They either need to, like you suggest, speculate and not be investigative journalists. Or if they want to make accusations, do the legwork necessary to substantiate those accusations. 

And if they were unable to find the corroborating evidence, didn't put out the article, and a Cary Kolat type situation played out would you applaud them for their restraint?

1 hour ago, russelscout said:

Disagree completely.  Personality is by far the most difficult thing to replace.  There are plenty of people that can give you a monotonous preview of the upcoming matches and last weekend's results.  There are a great deal fewer that can make that exercise engaging and often times funny.  

8 minutes ago, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

Disagree completely.  Personality is by far the most difficult thing to replace.  There are plenty of people that can give you a monotonous preview of the upcoming matches and last weekend's results.  There are a great deal fewer that can make that exercise engaging and often times funny.  

Thats true. Well put. I still don't think he isnt replaceable. There have been plenty of FRL's that come out without Pyle's mainest man and I still enjoy them equally. I don't find Willie so compelling that losing him leaves a great void in the show. I could be among the minority in that. 

4 minutes ago, russelscout said:

Thats true. Well put. I still don't think he isnt replaceable. There have been plenty of FRL's that come out without Pyle's mainest man and I still enjoy them equally. I don't find Willie so compelling that losing him leaves a great void in the show. I could be among the minority in that. 

Fair enough, to each their own.  I just feel like Pyles needs a counter balance.  No disrespect to Nomad, and Bratke, they bring their own things to the table, but they're not it.  

18 minutes ago, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

Fair enough, to each their own.  I just feel like Pyles needs a counter balance.  No disrespect to Nomad, and Bratke, they bring their own things to the table, but they're not it.  

Agreed here completely.  I quite frequently disagreed with Willie and sided with CP on most debates but he brought a perspective and personality that was needed and added balance.  As much as I like all the other guys the show changes drastically without him. 

@Billyhoyle I get your point.  They fail with regards to the standards you have for investigative journalism.  They made accusations that were not supported enough.

Some of what goes on is for show and to get attention.  If they waited for proof they could not get and soft spoke, they would be ignored.  They had enough to get loud .... and they made a difference.  I give them credit.

21 hours ago, Husker_Du said:

thanks for the mostly kind words guys. (also thanks for following some of my work over the years).

i'll give an explanation sometime in the next couple days. still love the guys at flo and appreciate all the invaluable opportunities 

they've given me over the years. but also looking forward to doing my own thing and the excitement and challenges that come with it. 

Loyal FRL listener from Pittsburgh. You were always my favorite guy at FLO. Very sad when I heard the news. Really gonna miss your input. They're gonna have to add another PA guy. Very interested to see what's next for you. Best of luck.

Willie, when you get a chance, please send me an email. You know mine. The last time I emailed about Greg D.

You sent me an email from your flo account. I assume that is no longer working. I have a lot of connections that may help you if you need any.

You will be missed buddy. Sad day for many of us, regardless if we agree with you or not. 

Nomad looked like he was gonna cry when CP was talking about Willie's departure at the beginning of FRL.

I like all of the FRL guys and Willie was great, I always thought. I'd corresponded with him a couple of times here through DM and he was always very respectful

Willie being gone is really a knock on Flo.  He was very knowledgeable and gave the HS kids a platform for recruiting.  Flo will have big shoes to fill, regardless if everyone agrees.  He brought an angle that is hard to replace with knowledge and passion.  The wrestling community is small, and supporting everyone, whether we agree with their stance is important for growth of the sport.  There are many personalities I don't agree with, but respect, for the betterment of the sport.  This small bubble has created many lifelong friendships for myself.  From college wrestling, to college coaching, to just passionately following the sport ---  we need to keep those involved.....involved.  

18 hours ago, scribe said:

This is a reminder for me that these boards were recruiting grounds for wrestling media personalities about 10 years ago. Even I was asked to get on one of the platforms and I don’t know crap about any of the wrestlers and I barely understand the rules. 

I remember LI Marty GETTING really po'd THAT they wouldn't PAY him FOR commentating work he did in SUFFOLK COUNTY (probably the hottest WRESTLING territory in the COUNTRY)

7 hours ago, MadMardigain said:

Well you could still see them.  Looks like Willie is ghosting us for now.  

Twitter handle MatScoutWillie. Awesome! I'm not surprised that Willie--someone who's got legit. skills--looks to bounce back, move forward after Flo. Exciting!

Edited by jon