Jump to content
Lurker

Willie at Flo

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Billyhoyle said:

https://rokfin.com/post/4739

Here, Willie explains why he left flo.  Does anyone have bitcoins or whatever rockfin runs on to pay to find out?

Yeah at first glance they look to be just as bad as Flo in terms of putting as much as they can behind the paywall.

I see even Willie’s “Crystal Ball Rankings” are now behind the paywall there despite (I’m assuming the same ones, hopefully he at least made some changes or something) them already being posted on Flo.  That’s gotta be copyright infringement or something, no?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Someone already brought this up, but if I were a "smaller" school in PA I might consider bringing him on to work recruiting in some way. Maybe not as involved a capacity as say Anthony Ralph at tOSU, but with the length of insight he has on guys from the time they first hit the mat to when they start trying to figure out what college they want to go to Willie could be an extremely valuable asset to a program. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, iGranby said:

Someone already brought this up, but if I were a "smaller" school in PA I might consider bringing him on to work recruiting in some way. Maybe not as involved a capacity as say Anthony Ralph at tOSU, but with the length of insight he has on guys from the time they first hit the mat to when they start trying to figure out what college they want to go to Willie could be an extremely valuable asset to a program. 

Looking like hes starting a company called Mat Scouts.Imagine it will be a scouting service that he offers to college programs.As well as putting content on Rokfin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, JBluegill133 said:

Can someone explain what Rofkin is?  I know Floreani started it, but will it be a direct competitor with Flowresting?

It's basically a media company that pays it's creators in bitcoins. They claim to have a better payout structure than YouTube has. Many creators have been upset that YouTube has reduced it's payouts and such.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, calot said:

Looking like hes starting a company called Mat Scouts.Imagine it will be a scouting service that he offers to college programs.As well as putting content on Rokfin.

aaah ha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, BobDole said:

It's basically a media company that pays it's creators in bitcoins. They claim to have a better payout structure than YouTube has. Many creators have been upset that YouTube has reduced it's payouts and such.

The value of Bitcoin is so volatile though. There are other media and streaming apps that pay creators well, but the pace can be demanding (e.g., put out x amount of original content per week) and the guardrails are often pretty rigid (what you can talk about, what you can wear, what third party content you can or cannot use).

Anyway, knowing nothing about MatScouts, it already sounds like it’s right up Willie’s alley. Looking forward to seeing what his new project is all about.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, pamela said:

The value of Bitcoin is so volatile though.

I don't know a lot about bitcoin really because every investor I listen to has said to stay away from it, but if you are paid in bit coin, can't you just ride the market and exchange it  to dollars when the value is high? Then again if it is low, how do you pay for your groceries? 

Edited by russelscout

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, pamela said:

The value of Bitcoin is so volatile though. There are other media and streaming apps that pay creators well, but the pace can be demanding (e.g., put out x amount of original content per week) and the guardrails are often pretty rigid (what you can talk about, what you can wear, what third party content you can or cannot use).

Anyway, knowing nothing about MatScouts, it already sounds like it’s right up Willie’s alley. Looking forward to seeing what his new project is all about.

The interesting thing about the whole Rokfin platform is the more subscribers the better it is...but for whom? If you are paid per click/view the subscribers that come for Willie's content are likely to also check out Askren's content which boosts his value. But will Askren's subscribers care enough about high school wrestling rankings and thoughts to help Willie? It's an interesting business model and I am interested in seeing how it evolves.

51 minutes ago, russelscout said:

I don't know a lot about bitcoin really because every investor I listen to has said to stay away from it, but if you are paid in bit coin, can't you just ride the market and exchange it  to dollars when the value is high? Then again if it is low, how do you pay for your groceries? 

Yes and yes and yes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

If I'm reading correctly they're not actually paid in bitcoin, they're paid in something called "RAE Tokens" which it looks like were basically created by Rokfin/Floreani?

RAE tokens are a type of crypto currency. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Sure,  but it looks like right now they’re worth about 18 cents.  Hope Willie is getting a lot of them!

I don't think that is the right way to look at it. 1 bit coin is like $9k right now. If they are saying they are making more from rokfin than youtube I am guessing that is by comparing being paid in the US dollar. Plus, if the value of the crypto doubles, you could make some good money through speculation, but if a recession happens I just can't see a reason why crypto wouldn't take a huge hit. For example Bitcoin a year ago hit as low as $3k. Imagine if you got paid in something for a year and then your income just shrank to a 1/3 of what it was worth before. That would suck.... now anyone feel free to point out my errors here, bc like I said, I am not an expert. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Sure,  but it looks like right now they’re worth about 18 cents.  Hope Willie is getting a lot of them!

They’re actually worthless because nobody would ever want to buy them. The 18 cent value is an artifact or zero trading volume. 

 

I have no idea what the business model of Rokfin is, but if it’s that viewers pay Martin in cash and he pays the content creators in his made up currency, the whole thing is a scam. So I hope it’s not that.

If Willy is on salary to help drive up subscribers, then that’s very fair. 

 

If the content creators are independent and get paid per view, I’m not sure why Rokfin is needed given that YouTube, twitch, and patreon all exist. Flowrestling was a very original idea (that there was a demand for wrestling coverage and ppl would pay $$ for it).  This seems like something very derivative. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Billyhoyle said:

If the content creators are independent and get paid per view, I’m not sure why Rokfin is needed given that YouTube, twitch, and patreon all exist. Flowrestling was a very original idea (that there was a demand for wrestling coverage and ppl would pay $$ for it).  This seems like something very derivative. 

The reason behind Rokfin is that those other sites do not reward the creators on a "fair" scale. That's the cliff notes version of Rokfin for creators.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, russelscout said:

I don't think that is the right way to look at it. 1 bit coin is like $9k right now. If they are saying they are making more from rokfin than youtube I am guessing that is by comparing being paid in the US dollar. Plus, if the value of the crypto doubles, you could make some good money through speculation, but if a recession happens I just can't see a reason why crypto wouldn't take a huge hit. For example Bitcoin a year ago hit as low as $3k. Imagine if you got paid in something for a year and then your income just shrank to a 1/3 of what it was worth before. That would suck.... now anyone feel free to point out my errors here, bc like I said, I am not an expert. 

I'm no expert either but I mean all cryptocurrency is not created equal right?   Pennies and Quarters are both money, but I'd rather have a thousand quarters than a thousand pennies.

 

I don't think they're saying they make more from rokfin, I think they're just saying that their "payment" grows as the whole platform grows, which isn't really the case with youtube.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Billyhoyle said:

If the content creators are independent and get paid per view, I’m not sure why Rokfin is needed given that YouTube, twitch, and patreon all exist. Flowrestling was a very original idea (that there was a demand for wrestling coverage and ppl would pay $$ for it).  This seems like something very derivative. 

I'm confused about whether it's even a wrestling site?   It looks like most of the "creators" have something to do with wrestling, but then there are also random comedians and stuff.

Edited by 1032004

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's an upstart venture. Gaining steam from the popularity of some particular wrestlers who've got rapport with Floreani and/or with Flo? One of the Velliquette brothers works at Flo. One other Velliquette brother works as a Rokfin mobile-app developer. Lots of overlap between those platforms. Kudos to Rokfin though for having non-hostile (month-to-month) pricing scheme!

Edited by jon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For the life of me I don't get why ppl want professionalism from a wrestling analyst.   Wrestling is entertainment.   Sure, highly intelligent and knowledgeable ppl are important.   Willie was both entertaining and super informed.

Willie occasionally had asinine takes, especially when he steered off of wrestling.   He was peculiarly, boldly and sincerely asinine.   

His loss is huge from the Flo entertainment staff.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Full Nelson said:

For the life of me I don't get why ppl want professionalism from a wrestling analyst.   Wrestling is entertainment.   Sure, highly intelligent and knowledgeable ppl are important.   Willie was both entertaining and super informed.

Willie occasionally had asinine takes, especially when he steered off of wrestling.   He was peculiarly, boldly and sincerely asinine.   

His loss is huge from the Flo entertainment staff.    

I dont think its good for someone who is the face of high school wrestling to be a constant dipper. That seems small, but from what I have seen, smokeless is an issue with wrestlers. Thats just one thing I guess.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...