treep2000

Bill Farrell Discussion Thread

4 hours ago, Crash said:

When healthy and in shape, he is our best guy at 65.

While he hasn’t had the single massive injuries like Dale and Taylor has, he has had so many that kept him from being at top form.

He seemed to be completely healthy in this event, although his gas tank looked to be only about 80% full. If he can get that to 100 and be healthy at trials, he should make the team.

Wonder where worse he will compete between now and trials.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

People have been saying that about JO for literally almost a decade and he has never made a team. 

10 minutes ago, iGranby said:

65- JO looked very, very good. McKenna looks much improved from the last time we saw him in FS. Henderson was impressive as well.  Molinaro, even with a runner-up finish didnt look good imo. Plus, per the usual when he was not able to pull it together to win a match that was completely within his grasp he goes juice head and starts whining about something (whether it be the ref, the other guy, whatever). 

You just dislike Molinaro correct?

Edited by spladle08

14 minutes ago, iGranby said:

57 - Gross is going to be a problem, especially as long as he keeps the weight cuts to an absolute minimum. NATO and Suriano are going to be close behind, and lets not forget about Lee, Fix, and Gilman. Plenty of other guys as well. 

65- JO looked very, very good. McKenna looks much improved from the last time we saw him in FS. Henderson was impressive as well.  Molinaro, even with a runner-up finish didnt look good imo. Plus, per the usual when he was not able to pull it together to win a match that was completely within his grasp he goes juice head and starts whining about something (whether it be the ref, the other guy, whatever). 

74- This weight was fun to watch for sure. If the gap between IMar and Burroughs is as close as we think, where does the rest of the heap sit? Tommy Gantt was right there in the semis and looked solid all tournament. Nolf was seemingly putting it on Cenzo until the injury. Cenzo looked damn good as well. Massa looked solid. Im a bit puzzled by Marsteller, hope to see him on the mat more. When he is on I think he adds some serious depth to the weight. 

Other stuff: I cant remember if I've heard Bray's commentary before, but I enjoyed it yesterday (It was him, right? like 99% sure it was). Like him on FRL as well. I appreciate what Mike Malinconico brings to the table for Flo, the dude clearly loves the sport and has a wealth of knowledge in regard to the technical aspects. Behind the dirt is always fun/cool. He is someone who would be great for live radio commentating because he describes matches so well as they go. With that being said, I really do not enjoy his chatter or especially his interviews. Something about the way he talks to coaches/athletes. This is why I never listened to his podcast when it was going. I cant quite put my finger on it, but it's just a preference thing I suppose. Im sure plenty of people like the guy. Just not me. SImilar to how some people dont like Pyles, or Nomad or any individual. Who knows. Not a huge deal, just mute it when he's commentating obviously. My problem, not Flo's lol. 

The stream was really good. Had no issues. I will say though - it really bugged me that a match would start, I would literally watch two guys shake hands - then the screen goes black and I hear... "OOOO---OOOHH, LALALALALA" - The damn insurance(?) commercial pops onto the screen and I miss the first 10 seconds of a match. Whats up with that?  I get that the ads are necessary, even if when you have premium but cmon. 

Over all - the Farrell was sick. 

I had no ads. Do you have an ad blocker on?

Just now, iGranby said:

I definitely dislike him. He also did not looks good relative to his past performances. 

I mean, his past performances from my perspective, are generally "Trail the entire match, then hit a feet to back for 4, against all the top guys"
Here, he beat the Japanese guy who was looking tough, had a nice little win over an always game Henderson, and lost by 2 to JO.... 
I think it was actually pretty solid performance by him. Not sure what you'd seen from him in the past

7 minutes ago, spladle08 said:

I mean, his past performances from my perspective, are generally "Trail the entire match, then hit a feet to back for 4, against all the top guys"
Here, he beat the Japanese guy who was looking tough, had a nice little win over an always game Henderson, and lost by 2 to JO.... 
I think it was actually pretty solid performance by him. Not sure what you'd seen from him in the past

Fair enough. I guess I just expect/expected more offensive output. Closing the gap mainly via pushouts against JO as opposed to looking for a takedown is also something I kinda shrug at but thats also just part of the freestyle game. So it is what it is. 

I guess just as well - I agree with your perspective of his past performances. So to see him act the way he does when he is not able to do it is probably what's given me a bad outlook on the guy. Risky game, and when you're a high level athlete (which he is) you probably realize this is not a productive strategy long term. Idk. 

Edited by iGranby

18 minutes ago, iGranby said:

Fair enough. I guess I just expect/expected more offensive output. Closing the gap mainly via pushouts against JO as opposed to looking for a takedown is also something I kinda shrug at but thats also just part of the freestyle game. So it is what it is. 

I guess just as well - I agree with your perspective of his past performances. So to see him act the way he does when he is not able to do it is probably what's given me a bad outlook on the guy. Risky game, and when you're a high level athlete (which he is) you probably realize this is not a productive strategy long term. Idk. 

Fair. I think he doesn't have much for Yainni and is 50/50 with Zain or JO.... will def be an interesting weight

23 minutes ago, iGranby said:

Hahah, ding ding ding. I did not. I had it up for school work while watching. So it's on me obviously. 

I legitimately didn’t know if Flo has gotten rid of ads. Not sure what changed but I used to see those Rocket Mortgage ads constantly, even with my ad blocker on. 

16 minutes ago, spladle08 said:

Fair. I think he doesn't have much for Yainni and is 50/50 with Zain or JO.... will def be an interesting weight

In my opinion I don’t think Frank is anywhere near 50/50 with Zain/JO at this point in his career. I think right now Zain and Yianni are the best two 65s, with JO being a massive wildcard if his gas tank is right that could run through everyone. But like everyone said that’s a major if and we’ve never actually seen that potential recognized. I doubt Frank could beat any of those guys 50% of the time. He’s just a really tough match that creates a lot of depth at the weight for team USA. 

17 hours ago, chestcrusher said:

Wait? Did Gross get outscored by Suriano? There were two caution and 1s don’t act like Suriano dominated the match. Gross scores points that’s why he won.

He didn't dominate, but Suriano controlled the pace of that match and created all the action. Gross's caution was for an illegal move he did trying to prevent a Suriano finish. That came from Suriano's action. Then a very warranted shot clock because he did nothing all match. Gross got a warranted hands to the face. The reason I said he should not have beaten Suriano was that he created zero of his own offense and was only able to capitalize on a bone headed Suriano shot late. If Suriano just stays calm and holds position for 10 more seconds, he wins. 

Now, is Suriano better than Gross? I wouldn't say that. It's pretty clear that the Gross from that match was a different guy from the Gross in the semis and finals after he started to recover from his cut, especially in the finals, which was the whole point of my post. Gross has to find a way to survive his early matches, like he did here, until he can rehydrate fully.

A lot to go through as a summary.

Apologies for the offense and disrespect shown towards Nolf insofar as his character. Plainly put, he may very well have to rely on the last chance qualifier(which top 2 get in now due to Schultz being called off), since I don't see him being full-go in a month. That sucks.

I understand the competitive spirit in hoping you can squeak it, however I was not wrong. He had nothing for even an injured IMar.

I'll follow up with a proper summary later or tomorrow. Was all-around an amazing tournament.

Wanted to give a shout out to Evan Henderson who is a damn good freestyler. Was impressive the entire tournament and really took it to McKenna who also wrestled very well. Oliver just looked so much bigger than Joey. But Henderson had some big throws and a lot of ooos and aaas at this event. Fun to watch. 

Bummed there were no Russians. Anyone know the reason they weren’t there this year?

10 hours ago, spladle08 said:

On this Gross/SUriano thing, I just hate that Gross scored with 1 second left and now we are deeming him GOD.
If he doesnt get that tilt, the boards aren't going wild saying he is the olympic rep... its just wild 

Although I thought Gross looked phenomenal in every other match (and good enough against Suriano), I'm surprised so many are writing off Garrett after a lackluster day.

The guy beat Gross to make a world team 18 months ago, and if I'm not mistaken, has been injured ever since.  I'm pretty sure this was his first tournament since 2018 Final X, and I suspect we'll see a much better Garrett at Trials.

On 11/16/2019 at 9:21 PM, steen-hooph said:

Against the World's best with no breaks in early round matches. He looks freakishly tall for the weight. Someone reassure me with some comps. I am not an expert.

I do not think he is much taller than Coleman Scott and he definitely isn't taller than Nick Simmons was.  

10 hours ago, whaletail said:

Although I thought Gross looked phenomenal in every other match (and good enough against Suriano), I'm surprised so many are writing off Garrett after a lackluster day.

The guy beat Gross to make a world team 18 months ago, and if I'm not mistaken, has been injured ever since.  I'm pretty sure this was his first tournament since 2018 Final X, and I suspect we'll see a much better Garrett at Trials.

Yeah I'm guilty of writing off Nashon. 
I think he can beat ANYONE at the weight... but also think he can lose to about 10 guys. 
So I just don't give him legitimacy when I speak on the "Elite", hopefully he rounds into form though the more he competes. 

This was a great tournament and a pleasure to watch from up close. I watched from the 74 QF through the consolation rounds live, then the medal rounds on Flo.

Comments in no particular order.

Snyder isn't getting beat at this weight by anyone save maybe Cox once he chooses his weight class. Outscored his opponents 31-0. Yeesh.

The college guys - Gross, McKenna and Suriano - were all better than I expected. I especially did not expect Suriano to challenge much less dominate Garrett (and he even teched the guy who beat Garrett) but as a Cornell guy I have to think that Garrett will keep improving through the trials. 

I promise that I was telling the truth about IMar complaining about his shoulder after nearly losing to Gantt but he was putting a lot of pressure on that shoulder to turn Nolf over, and even an injured Nolf would make that unlikely if the symptoms were anything more than ephemeral. 

Nobody had anything for Dieringer. Cakewalk. The most stunning match was Abounader / Pfarr - Abounader was up 8-0 and just gassed.

Steveson rolled. In the consi semis, Hemida took a 2 point lead by shoving Nevills out of bounds... right through the ref, who took it like a champ. It's hard to tell on the screen but live, my son said Hemida seemed shook by knocking her over. Nevills quickly got in on a single leg and as Hemida was trying to fight it off ended up on his back and pinned with 1 second left (not that it mattered since he'd already been awarded 2 to go ahead.)

Edited by ugarte

On 11/17/2019 at 11:58 AM, spladle08 said:

I think it was actually pretty solid performance by him. Not sure what you'd seen from him in the past

If he could actually finish a TD it would have been a completely different match. He had 6 push outs ffs.

On 11/16/2019 at 4:24 PM, treep2000 said:

I sure hope it was a cramp.  Didn't look like it to me.  He should probably MFF.  

Watching how he literally was protecting that leg from I Mar, that does not look like a "cramp". More like a a joint injury of some sort. Almost assuredly one ligament or another given how it happened. Hopefully not a long term issue, or even a long recovery. 

10 minutes ago, Gopher82 said:

Healthy Nolf or not, I just don't see him beating Imar anytime soon. I never thought Imar would be this good but he's really taken his game to the next level. 

How good we talking (Just curious)
His close matches with JB? Or good enough to consistently beat Nolf? I mean he was a 4x NCAA finalist with 3 or 4 career losses. He's about as good as I expected. Solid domestically and outmatched a bit abroad. Where did you put his ceiling?>

13 minutes ago, Gopher82 said:

Healthy Nolf or not, I just don't see him beating Imar anytime soon. I never thought Imar would be this good but he's really taken his game to the next level. 

But also I agree, he is better than Nolf. 
JB-Dake-Imar-Nolf-rest of the gang.... deep weight but clear gap