Jump to content
treep2000

Bill Farrell Discussion Thread

Recommended Posts

On 11/12/2019 at 5:30 PM, dmm53 said:

Who is missing?  Who would you like to see at Farrell that isn't already qualified for Olympic Trials?

A few come to mind: Nico Megaludis, Aaron Brooks, Yianni D., Thomas Gilman, James Green, A. Ashnault, Heflin, and Gable Steveson.

V. Joseph and Cassar are now registered. 

Doesn't registration close on Wednesday?  

I thought John Smith said over the summer that Helen would be back for this. Is that right? I hope she’s still competing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I thought John Smith said over the summer that Helen would be back for this. Is that right? I hope she’s still competing.
So I said Helen was made her mark and was ready to settle into "ambassador" role a couple years ago. I hope she proves me wrong, but im skeptical of these year long concussions and such. I think shes living comfortably enough she doesn't have that hunger anymore....again hope she proves me wrong but my 2 pennies

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ConnorsDad said:

Really? That's why I said assuming he wrestles cuz I hadn't even looked at the entries. Does that make any sense to anybody? I mean I guess with only one person qualifying maybe he figures it wouldn't be him and he won't worry about making the cut

Downey is already qualified. He doesn't have to wrestle.

He made a joke on social media saying he was competing and he was thick. The FRL gents took it as 97kg as a joke.

I'd watch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, spladle08 said:
10 hours ago, pamela said:
I thought John Smith said over the summer that Helen would be back for this. Is that right? I hope she’s still competing.

So I said Helen was made her mark and was ready to settle into "ambassador" role a couple years ago. I hope she proves me wrong, but im skeptical of these year long concussions and such. I think shes living comfortably enough she doesn't have that hunger anymore....again hope she proves me wrong but my 2 pennies

So you are saying she is taking her injury?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, wrestlingphish said:

So you are saying she is taking her injury?

I assume you meant "faking", and the social justice warriors have come out every time I have mentioned this. 
But no, I think she was injured, but lives a rewarding life away from the mat and maybe wasn't super eager to return. 
Shes an icon in the sport and brought a ton of attention to women's  wrestling (THANK YOU HELEN)
She's truly a legend and I will always love what shes done on and off the mat. 
(I hate having to type ish like this every-time to avoid keyboard warriors responding with stuff like "You could never do what she did, thank you Helen we love you")

Anyway, like any other competitive athlete, I think she worked her ass off and crushed the world, and then got injured, it allowed her to take a step back and not have to bust her a$$ sun up to sun down, and now she has this fame and fortune and opportunities... and maybe coming back to cutting weight, several work outs a day, unreal expectations, yadda yadda,  isn't as appealing as it once was. 

AGAIN!!!! SHES GREAT AND IM NOT SAYING OTHERWISE.... just think she is done with the competitive life.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm fully expecting a slew of 
"How do you know how injured she was"
"I think she should be worrying about her health first"
"She has no obligation to wrestle when you want her to"
"Who are you to say she's not the best woman wrestler in the history of the United States"
"How many world medals have you won"

Just everything but giving the the idea any weight.... blanket statements that are supported by morons.... blah

Edited by spladle08

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, spladle08 said:

I'm fully expected a slew of 
"How do you know how injured she was"
"I think she should be worrying about her health first"
"She has no obligation to wrestle when you want her to"
"Who are you to say she's not the best woman wrestler in the history of the United States"
"How many world medals have you won"

Just everything but giving the the idea any weight.... blanket statements that are supported by morons.... blah

Well, how many have you won?   Enquiring minds want to know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You said you were skeptical of her year long concussions. If you wanted to say you thought she lost her competitive fire, why not just say that? Instead - you chose to imply she was faking her injury. If you don't want people to respond to the words you chose, don't choose them. Grant Gambrall had a series of concussions so bad the doctors did not allow him to do any physical activity at higher than a walking pace for almost a year. Year long concussions are absolutely a thing and I hope you are never in a position to rush an athlete back from a traumatic brain injury. Your skepticism could get one of your athletes killed.

Edited by wrestlingphish

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, spladle08 said:

I'm fully expected a slew of 
"How do you know how injured she was"
"I think she should be worrying about her health first"
"She has no obligation to wrestle when you want her to"
"Who are you to say she's not the best woman wrestler in the history of the United States"
"How many world medals have you won"

Just everything but giving the the idea any weight.... blanket statements that are supported by morons.... blah

Do you need a safe space, snowflake?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, wrestlingphish said:

Do you need a safe space, snowflake?

Well with a retort like that, I can already tell I'm outmatched. 
Thank you for the education, I offer my humblest apologies.

Anyway

Soooooooooo I'm huge on Mehki but his performance in his last tournament has me expecting Gantt like things... inconsistent results but crushing the hopes of a few top guys :) Thoughts. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, spladle08 said:

Well with a retort like that, I can already tell I'm outmatched. 
Thank you for the education, I offer my humblest apologies.

Anyway

Soooooooooo I'm huge on Mehki but his performance in his last tournament has me expecting Gantt like things... inconsistent results but crushing the hopes of a few top guys :) Thoughts. 

I mean your response to a simple yes or no question was two nonsensical posts where you never answered the question and instead made up quotes that you feel like people might say.

 

Why not just answer the question?

Edited by wrestlingphish

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, wrestlingphish said:

I mean your response to a simple yes or no question was two nonsensical posts where you never answered the question and instead made up quotes that you feel like people might say.

 

Why not just answer the question?

I don't know if "taking" is this right word, but "milking" yes. I think she is "milking" the injury to enjoy life off the mat. 
I think she could easily be our rep, I just don't think it's been in her plans. 
Based on: My opinion. 
Facts: 0 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, wrestlingphish said:

I mean your response to a simple yes or no question was two nonsensical posts where you never answered the question and instead made up quotes that you feel like people might say.

 

Why not just answer the question?

Do you need a safe space, home skillet?

Edited by Plasmodium

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Can we focus, gents?

you can't spell Focus without Us.... thank you for reminding me what matters. 
Hot takes. 
Suriano will be just above average in FS his stalling (Defense) will make him competitive  with the top 6, but you gotta be able to score, and I just don't think he has it. 
Gross will be even less of a factor. 

65kg is a 4 horse race, and I think they all can beat each other, JO/Frank/Diak/Reth. all could suffer a random setback throughout the year but overall, the rest of the matches at this weight just don't get my juices going. 

74kg. HOTTTTNESSS, not sure who it will be from that sexy a$$ field come the Trials,  but I'm feeling its not JB vs Dake in the finals. 

86kg, seems like its brimming with potential, but man, I think Cox, DT, BO, Ringer, are just better than "the field" Upsets can Happen but unless it's a match between these guy, or maybe throw in Valencia, my juices are set low. 

97kg. If Bo/Cox stay down, this weight is about as compelling as Tulane vs Rice in a baking competition

125kg. Let me see Cassar break onto the scene or something. Otherwise, lets just jump forward to any H2H With Gable vs Gwiz. 

Just typing ish

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I looked it up today. Looks like Helen is treating 2020 like her final year of competition, and it starts with her return next month at the US Open/Sr Nationals OQ. Coach Smith said she had a setback over the summer but didn’t specify if it was related to her head injuries or her shoulder rehab or what.

https://olympics.nbcsports.com/2019/08/30/helen-maroulis-wrestling/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

it's good for wrestling if the bill farrell open sells out but it would not be great for me because there is no way i'm there until like 12:30 at the earliest. i have to call before i leave brooklyn. 

i have no predictions or wrestling analysis. i just want to see nahshon again and my kid really wants to see mekhi lewis, who he decided to start rooting for before the NCAA QF.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, ugarte said:

it's good for wrestling if the bill farrell open sells out but it would not be great for me because there is no way i'm there until like 12:30 at the earliest. i have to call before i leave brooklyn. 

i have no predictions or wrestling analysis. i just want to see nahshon again and my kid really wants to see mekhi lewis, who he decided to start rooting for before the NCAA QF.

Interestingly enough there may be more people picking Lewis than IMar.

Edited by nhs67

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I see these picks of Mehki over Imar and see little evidence to support this claim.  Folk results may (or may not) translate to free.  Imar in free seems to be a different animal.  Mehki got whipped pretty good in his latest international foray.  Imar had a good showing.  Nolf is the absolute wildcard in this field and could do some crazy stuff!.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I see these picks of Mehki over Imar and see little evidence to support this claim.  Folk results may (or may not) translate to free.  Imar in free seems to be a different animal.  Mehki got whipped pretty good in his latest international foray.  Imar had a good showing.  Nolf is the absolute wildcard in this field and could do some crazy stuff!.

Personally, love me some Lewis, but have stated that last international performance has me nervous and favoring Imar.

 

However... Nolf is no secret wildcard. He's as much a wildcard as Marstellar is.

I think Lewis actually handles him. Just not enough takedowns....

Agree though Imar is the class of the tourney, dont think he's a "different animal" what'd he have like 3 of 4 NCAA losses? I'd say he's the same animal. But dont overvalue Nolf with no supporting results, and dont use that desperation win over Martinez as "supporting result"....

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, spladle08 said:

Personally, love me some Lewis, but have stated that last international performance has me nervous and favoring Imar.

 

However... Nolf is no secret wildcard. He's as much a wildcard as Marstellar is.

I think Lewis actually handles him. Just not enough takedowns....

Agree though Imar is the class of the tourney, dont think he's a "different animal" what'd he have like 3 of 4 NCAA losses? I'd say he's the same animal. But dont overvalue Nolf with no supporting results, and dont use that desperation win over Martinez as "supporting result"....

 

That was the 70kg Nolf, not yet grown into and comfortable at 74kg. I won't make any rash predictions, but I'll have my eye on Jason Nolf in this tournament, and I'll be far more surprised if he is defeated early than if he makes the finals. He has had some time to get ready, and he has been working specifically on freestyle in an excellent room with fantastic training partners. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lewis is kind of like Cox.  Extremely strong and preternaturally athletic.  But regardless of who wins, neither has the creativity, technique,  stamina, or motor of DT or Nolf.  Why can't people recognize these honest differences?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...