brickhousey

Jaydin eierman

17 hours ago, 1032004 said:

Are you suggesting he was promised future payment while he still has college eligibility :-) ?

I hope Eierman, and every other athlete, gets future payment post-college and if it's hush-hush for now then so be it until the dynamic of college wrestling as a whole is altered which is highly unlikely. It would be better for the sport to have our (relatively speaking on the senior world level) fringe athletes have competitive avenues and receive the necessary financial support to do so.

An analogy-

Is it really any different than interning at a company? (An athlete's collegiate career)

That company really likes the work you do so they promise to hold you a job when you graduate, under the table of course (promised post-collegiate RTC offer)

Legally they can't hold a job due to HR policy and open-hiring laws (archaic NCAA regulations)

Two weeks after graduation you start at the company after a quick "phone interview" with the hiring manager/ your intern supervisor (RTC official announcement)

Is this not similar to how you and I, and many of your kids got that first job? So why is this any different, other than the same reasoning of "well, these are the NCAA rules so why would we ever want to change anything?" We as a wrestling community are always clamoring for more opportunities. Money talks, so if this is the way - that athletes are properly compensated - then so be it. After all, we live in a capitalist economy.

8 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

I hope Eierman, and every other athlete, gets future payment post-college and if it's hush-hush for now then so be it until the dynamic of college wrestling as a whole is altered which is highly unlikely. It would be better for the sport to have our (relatively speaking on the senior world level) fringe athletes have competitive avenues and receive the necessary financial support to do so.

An analogy-

Is it really any different than interning at a company? (An athlete's collegiate career)

That company really likes the work you do so they promise to hold you a job when you graduate, under the table of course (promised post-collegiate RTC offer)

Legally they can't hold a job due to HR policy and open-hiring laws (archaic NCAA regulations)

Two weeks after graduation you start at the company after a quick "phone interview" with the hiring manager/ your intern supervisor (RTC official announcement)

Is this not similar to how you and I, and many of your kids got that first job? So why is this any different, other than the same reasoning of "well, these are the NCAA rules so why would we ever want to change anything?" We as a wrestling community are always clamoring for more opportunities. Money talks, so if this is the way - that athletes are properly compensated - then so be it. After all, we live in a capitalist economy.

Extremely well said 

1 hour ago, bnwtwg said:

An analogy-

I agree wholeheartedly the rules should be changed to allow college athletes to receive any financial compensation they can secure from any legal source.  Let them use their likeness.  Let them negotiate post graduate jobs and compensation.  Let them benefit from their hard work just as much as the universities who train them.  

But I wholeheartedly disagree that cheating existing rules is okay.  Changing archaic rules should happen.  Cheating rules should not.

1 hour ago, bnwtwg said:

An analogy-

Well in your analogy, does the intern transfer to the company's "preferred" school for their senior year? 

Although frankly, based on what I'm reading about the Eierman situation, it doesn't seem to really have anything to do with money, just getting the best training for Olympic aspirations.

Not related to Eierman but of course there does seem to be (thus far unfounded) accusations of these promises happening when the students are still in high school.    Do you know of any corporations promising jobs to high schoolers 4-5 years down the road, dependent on what school they go to?

Edited by 1032004

13 hours ago, WF89 said:

It’s probably going to be Nebraska.

I forgot that Mike Eiermman went there. This fits perfect with his statement that it's a place he's admired all his life (or however it was stated). Also, wide open at 141 and 149, where Iowa could have some challengers at those weights.

1 minute ago, goheels1812 said:

Eiermman is such a great fit there next year. I assume he’s going to 149. One can only hope him and Mauller meet up at some point. 

Can he wrestle this year? Or is he already committed to ORS?

Just now, NJDan said:

Can he wrestle this year? Or is he already committed to ORS?

My understanding is that he’s already committed to ORS and is not eligible to wrestle collegiately  again until the 20-21 season. He’s not even enrolled in classes at Mizzou as part of the ORS so I can’t imagine any way for him to be eligible this year.