IronChef

Chamberlain to give Greco a go

2 hours ago, IronChef said:

https://www.teamusa.org/USA-Wrestling/Features/2019/November/06/Jason-Chamberlain-going-Greco

Interesting switch at age 29. I assume he'll be going for 67kg, which is easier to make than 65kg would be for freestyle.

This fallacy that anyone can just switch over to Greco and find success is a joke. Rau beat Downey in freestyle 18 months ago... easier for an American due to our wrestling folkstyle to cross over from Greco to freestyle than to cross over to Greco... I wish the guy all the best, but I don't expect him to be much competition for Ellis Coleman, Jamel Johnson, Hayden Tuma, Ray Bunker etc. Dan Dennis tried Greco at the Open... 

Edited by bman546

Ive always thought Chamberlins stalling self. Had more of a Greco style and build....
Not saying he will make the team but dont think he will be any less likely than he was in freestyle. He will still try to stall out the top guys and score off counters.

Actually nevermind. He definitely has a better chance at making it in greco. In freestyle there are a handful of guys (domestically) he cant beat because they are legitimately world class.

In greco, his physical gifts allow for the stingiest of defense. And solid counter offense. He's right there with anyone.
To take it a step further, thats part of why we lose on the world stage in Greco. We are all about constant action and big throws when 80% of Greco is defense.

Ill continue to trumpet: our unrealistic love of offense (and his wild junior gold ...i know) was the reason for this Kamal Bey pandemonium. When its the same as Mango or anyone else. Their highlight reel offense against bad wrestlers gets us salivating. But then they get to the world stage and get pushed out 3x then try some wild crap and get taken down to lose 5-0 without a wiff of cracking that defense, we say "bad draw" or some nonsese.

Pushout and basic takedowns will get you far in greco.

Highlight reel throws are great. But.... go Chamberlin

An experiment that will never happen.  Hold the Greco Trials a month after Freestyle Final X.  

I bet freestyle guys that didn't make the team could take 5-6 of the Greco spots based on pure athleticism.   

42 minutes ago, mostTD said:

An experiment that will never happen.  Hold the Greco Trials a month after Freestyle Final X.  

I bet freestyle guys that didn't make the team could take 5-6 of the Greco spots based on pure athleticism.   

We only have 6 spots in the Olympics and they would not win a match.

5 hours ago, mostTD said:

they could probably just step into judo and make that team too