tigerfan

Is Mizzou in trouble?

1 minute ago, Perry said:

Nebraska seems like a better fit than PSU. Good fit at 149 for college and the RTC is obv good with Burroughs and Green being there (plus coaching). Why wrestle with Zain all the time when he already has the advantage? Iowa and tOSU seem like possible fits as well pending the weight class.

Nebraska already has a hard time fundraising for their guys.  Adding another guy to the budget that's not #1 or #2 on the ladder doesn't make a ton of sense to me.  

18 hours ago, nhs67 said:

Entering the portal does not mean he is leaving.  It means he may leave.

Since the transfer portal came into existence has any NCAA wrestler not left after entering their name into it?

I don't think this shows a huge problem for the Mizzou program. Seems he is just trying to go to a place with potentially better freestyling training by way of a RTC. I would think he makes the announcement very soon as he will probably want to start work with the RTC soon to help prep for trying to make the Olympic team. My guess? Nebraska

Mizzou will be fine though. Like others have said, O'Toole is a stud and the lineup will be very good next year and in 2022. 

20 minutes ago, Perry said:

Nebraska seems like a better fit than PSU. Good fit at 149 for college and the RTC is obv good with Burroughs and Green being there (plus coaching). Why wrestle with Zain all the time when he already has the advantage? Iowa and tOSU seem like possible fits as well pending the weight class.

Why wrestle with Zain all the time? Maybe he wants to improve? Just a hunch. Plus, once at the RTC full time he can get paid some real money. 

I wouldn’t say they’re in trouble but this year Is going to be a very down year compared to what fans have come to expect. Based on current Flo rankings (hey, have to pick someone’s rankings to use) they are projected to have 2 AA’s this year...and one of those 2 guys is Grant Leeth who comes with huge injury risk. 

If their 2020 recruiting class holds they should be back to being the 5th or 6th best team in the country on a remarkably consistent basis. I don’t see anybody currently on their roster or committed who I think will be an NCAA champ (except maybe in a year like this when tons of champ-level guys are on Olympic RS)...but I see a lot of multiple time AA’s. 

If heavyweight wasn’t so damn stacked the next 3-4 years I’d say Zach Elam had a real shot at winning it all. Same goes with Mauller...he’ll be right in the mix but I don’t see him as the #1 guy at a weight that has so much young talent. But if it’s going to happen this year is probably his best shot.

3 hours ago, wrestlingnerd said:

Top RTCs (in results and funding):

1. PSU

2. Iowa

3. Finger Lakes (Cornell)

4. tOSU

5. Michigan

6. OSU

7. NJ RTC (Princeton, Rutgers)

Something like that, right? I probably have some off, since I'm guessing on level of funding for the Ivies.

PSU has Retherford, who obliterated Eierman the last time they met and ran Frank the Tank out of town. FL has Yianni. Iowa has bupkis. 

His stated goal since he started wrestling is to win an Olympic title. The RTC he'll be wrestling for soon is where he always wanted to go. Iowa has produced more Olympic champs than any other school and is coached by an Olympic champ. 

No other school adds up.

More than Oklahoma State? Not sure how they compare to Iowa State either - who produced Dan Gable and Cael Sanderson.

2 hours ago, WillieBoy said:

More than Oklahoma State? Not sure how they compare to Iowa State either - who produced Dan Gable and Cael Sanderson.

I thought Iowa's five was the record but maybe Okie State ties that? I don't think so but don't care to look it up. For Iowa, I've got McCann, Lewis, End Banach, Lou Banach, and Tom Brands. Obviously, Gable is ISU but it's hard to separate his career from Iowa given how deeply involved he was in building it, so there's that influence at Iowa as well.

2 hours ago, wrestlingnerd said:

I thought Iowa's five was the record but maybe Okie State ties that? I don't think so but don't care to look it up. For Iowa, I've got McCann, Lewis, End Banach, Lou Banach, and Tom Brands. Obviously, Gable is ISU but it's hard to separate his career from Iowa given how deeply involved he was in building it, so there's that influence at Iowa as well.

https://intermatwrestle.com/articles/17276

'Which schools have produced the most Olympic freestyle gold? Oklahoma State has nine wrestlers who won gold medals on the mat, while Iowa State has six.'

It's certainly not a great look. Layered on Eierman leaving for what infrastructural issues is that he went to Iowa, where there is definitely some bad blood between the programs.

This also makes me wonder if another J'Den from Missouri with close ties to Mike Eierman may go over to base himself out of Iowa City for a bit.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, Perry said:

EDIT* It is a pretty interesting comment about the lack of RTC at Mizzou which is what the top B1G schools are focusing on now. Hopefully a wake up call to Smith after losing both Cox and now Eirmann. The program collegiality could be fine considering Leeth and Mauller but this is a loss and call for the need of promising futures post college (beyond the "professional" field)

I don't really agree with the "wake up call". I'm sure most teams in the country would love to have a significant funding pool for an RTC. That's not the reality.

Recently, when Snyder went to NLWC someone posted a link to. JB article where it talked about the funding at Nebraska. They have JB! And green to boot.  And they are even limited. They also have a better tradition than most schools.  There is no doubt Smith does not work like crazy to raise money. But there is no way that most schools will keep up with the top guys. 

50 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

It's certainly not a great look. Layered on Eierman leaving for what infrastructural issues is that he went to Iowa, where there is definitely some bad blood between the programs.

This also makes me wonder if another J'Den from Missouri with close ties to Mike Eierman may go over to base himself out of Iowa City for a bit.

I think J'Den is to tight with Kevin Jackson.  I also think Jackson has done a good job with him.  I could see J'Den going to ASU before Iowa. 

I will say I think Iowa will be the favorite in 2021.  PSU graduates a bunch and Iowa will have every they currently have still.   They are going to be tough. 

Edited by scramble

I think J'Den is to tight with Kevin Jackson.  I also think Jackson has done a good job with him.  I could see J'Den going to ASU before Iowa. 
I will say I think Iowa will be the favorite in 2021.  PSU graduates a bunch and Iowa will have every they currently have still.   They are going to be tough. 
Sure. Honestly, if I'm J'Den, I'm not messing with anything at this point, and Iowa right now doesn't have that much to offer at the upper weights besides for potentially infrastructure. Workout partners aren't great for that level.

I'm an advocate for the student athletes going wherever they think is best for them, so even as a Mizzou fan, I am happy for Eierman and will be rooting for him. But I am curious how this transfer process works. Is he allowed to have any communication with other coaches prior to officially entering the transfer portal? It sounded like he knew he wanted to go to Iowa well before announcing his intentions and have to assume he is getting scholarship money, but it seems like a big risk to throw yourself out there without knowing you would be getting anything from your desired destination. Plus this all went down so fast. I have to also assume other schools had interest in him, but he didn't explore any other options. Hard to believe this could only be a couple day process and nothing was in the works earlier.

19 hours ago, MDogg said:

I wouldn’t say they’re in trouble but this year Is going to be a very down year compared to what fans have come to expect. Based on current Flo rankings (hey, have to pick someone’s rankings to use) they are projected to have 2 AA’s this year...and one of those 2 guys is Grant Leeth who comes with huge injury risk. 

If their 2020 recruiting class holds they should be back to being the 5th or 6th best team in the country on a remarkably consistent basis. I don’t see anybody currently on their roster or committed who I think will be an NCAA champ (except maybe in a year like this when tons of champ-level guys are on Olympic RS)...but I see a lot of multiple time AA’s. 

If heavyweight wasn’t so damn stacked the next 3-4 years I’d say Zach Elam had a real shot at winning it all. Same goes with Mauller...he’ll be right in the mix but I don’t see him as the #1 guy at a weight that has so much young talent. But if it’s going to happen this year is probably his best shot.

I think Mizzou gets at least 3 AAs. Elam would AA, but I think he will stay in redshirt (hope not...)

141 and 149 are extremely likely to AA, and relatively highly as well. Leeth is injury prone, but at 141 it is less likely. I think combined they score 25ish points 

133, 157, 165, 174 and 184 all have a chance to AA. Mizzou always has a non top 8 seed AA, and I think they will have 5 to pick from. 

133 - always been tough. Guys who can ride and turn often overperform at NCAAs. He is similar to Erneste 

157 - top 20. The top 4 or 5 will best him but with 1 upset he is in the 6-8 range. 

165 - This is more about potential. I think if he can continue getting back in form he will be too 10-15. He was out for a long time with injury 

174 - Flynn seems to be a top 10-15 guy constantly, so as guys ahead of him move weights and graduate, he creeps up. He has a legitimate shot at AAing. He could have a path to beat guys he has already beaten. 

184 - both options are top 20ish. That’s just 1or 2 upsets from AAing

I think this year, which is a majorly down year plus with a serious AA threat shirting, they will score 40-50 points and place anywhere from 7-10

1 hour ago, Housebuye said:

I think Mizzou gets at least 3 AAs. Elam would AA, but I think he will stay in redshirt (hope not...)

141 and 149 are extremely likely to AA, and relatively highly as well. Leeth is injury prone, but at 141 it is less likely. I think combined they score 25ish points 

133, 157, 165, 174 and 184 all have a chance to AA. Mizzou always has a non top 8 seed AA, and I think they will have 5 to pick from. 

133 - always been tough. Guys who can ride and turn often overperform at NCAAs. He is similar to Erneste 

157 - top 20. The top 4 or 5 will best him but with 1 upset he is in the 6-8 range. 

165 - This is more about potential. I think if he can continue getting back in form he will be too 10-15. He was out for a long time with injury 

174 - Flynn seems to be a top 10-15 guy constantly, so as guys ahead of him move weights and graduate, he creeps up. He has a legitimate shot at AAing. He could have a path to beat guys he has already beaten. 

184 - both options are top 20ish. That’s just 1or 2 upsets from AAing

I think this year, which is a majorly down year plus with a serious AA threat shirting, they will score 40-50 points and place anywhere from 7-10

I think it’s a big stretch to list 133 and 165 as potential AA’s this year. Mocco got pinned once and majored twice at the Southeast Open last weekend. Its also important that my opinion those are also the 2 of the 3 deepest weights this season (along with HWT). 

But I’ll give you that they could very well get another AA out of 157, 174, and 184. In fact if the tournament was wrestled today it’d probably be a coin toss whether Flynn AA’s or not.

I assumed Elam would stay in RS when I said 2 AA’s...if he wrestles in March he’s definitely more likely than not to AA. Normally I’d say he’s a virtual lock but HWT is so deep this year and I don’t think there are too many locks to AA. 

Good for Jaydin to make the adult decision to better himself to go for his goals.  I can't imagine how tough it was for him to tell Mike, BSmith, his family, friends, etc. that he was going to leave his beloved Mizzou (he was definitely extremely loyal) and the life he's always known in Columbia.  Good for him.

My only concern now is that this has shed a light on the fact that Mizzou's RTC is not strong, and hopefully doesn't deter other top recruits (O'Toole, etc.) to choose schools that have that RTC funding and athletes.  I know they have Dom Bradley there now, and had Alan Waters...it sucks they didn't have the funding to keep J'Den and Jaydin and pull in other athletes.

I also hope this doesn't put thoughts into Mauller and Jacques' heads that they need to follow their former HS teammate.