Jump to content
chestcrusher

Anthony Robles

Recommended Posts

Have had the privilege of meeting Anthony and his family on a few of occasions in Arizona or at ASU, they are very accommodating  and sincere when taking to you. Anthony always has time to talk, sign autographs or take pictures. He truly is a  nice guy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have wondered why Robles never competed in  freestyle. Is there something about the freestyle rules that would disqualify someone with one leg. Otherwise, he is hard to take down and would have a great gut wrench.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, WillieBoy said:

Who will play Robles? Seems it would be easier to splice in actual wrestling footage of him than finding a one legged actor.

I do vote for Jacqueline Obradors to play his mother.

Ummm....you do realize that most of the time they are using a green sleeve, right? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Idaho said:

Ummm....you do realize that most of the time they are using a green sleeve, right? 

Hey go easy on WillieBoy.  He's still dealing with that bootleg internet connection... can't fault him if he's missed a couple of technological advancements in the world of cinema.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NJDan said:

I have wondered why Robles never competed in  freestyle. Is there something about the freestyle rules that would disqualify someone with one leg. Otherwise, he is hard to take down and would have a great gut wrench.

 

Well for 1 he wrestled on one knee which internationally you can’t do and someone brought up the clinch was thing when he was competing so unfortunately based on the rules he couldn’t really wrestle freestyle after college...with the current rules tho I think he could have adapted and found some success 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NJDan said:

I have wondered why Robles never competed in  freestyle. Is there something about the freestyle rules that would disqualify someone with one leg. Otherwise, he is hard to take down and would have a great gut wrench.

 

He did wrestle a little bit of freestyle in college or shortly thereafter but I think all the other endorsement opportunities that came his way caused him to move away from competition.

 

regarding the movie, I’m surprised it’s taken this long for his story to become a movie.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

Hey go easy on WillieBoy.  He's still dealing with that bootleg internet connection... can't fault him if he's missed a couple of technological advancements in the world of cinema.  

Get off the phone, I have to post to the message board!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Tommy Payan said:

Have had the privilege of meeting Anthony and his family on a few of occasions in Arizona or at ASU, they are very accommodating  and sincere when taking to you. Anthony always has time to talk, sign autographs or take pictures. He truly is a  nice guy. 

I want to meet his mom, she looked like Yazadini mom when he won his NCAA championship!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, NJDan said:

I have wondered why Robles never competed in  freestyle. Is there something about the freestyle rules that would disqualify someone with one leg. Otherwise, he is hard to take down and would have a great gut wrench.

 

Trivia question for you....who was the last person to defeat Anthony Robles in a wrestling match.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TripNSweep said:

Trivia question for you....who was the last person to defeat Anthony Robles in a wrestling match.  

The last collegiate loss Robles had was his junior year at the 2010 NCAAs... Troy Nickerson beat him, 2-1 in the first consolation round of 4.  Robles placed 7th that year, then went undefeated as a senior.  Top eight:

  1. McBono
  2. Andrew Long
  3. Escobedo
  4. Nickerson
  5. Zach Sanders
  6. Cashe Quiroga
  7. Robles
  8. Nikko Triggas
Edited by lu_alum

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, lu_alum said:

The last collegiate loss Robles had was his junior year at the 2010 NCAAs... Troy Nickerson beat him, 2-1 in the first consolation round of 4.  Robles placed 7th that year, then went undefeated as a senior.  Top eight:

  1. McBono
  2. Andrew Long
  3. Escobedo
  4. Nickerson
  5. Zach Sanders
  6. Cashe Quiroga
  7. Robles
  8. Nikko Triggas

wow, interesting trivia - I watched Nickerson win all 5 of his HS state titles when I lived in NY.  Anthony Robles is an inspiration.  I like how he transitioned from NCAA wrestling champ to motivational speaker and wrestling commentator - and a great one at that! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, lu_alum said:

The last collegiate loss Robles had was his junior year at the 2010 NCAAs... Troy Nickerson beat him, 2-1 in the first consolation round of 4.  Robles placed 7th that year, then went undefeated as a senior.  Top eight:

  1. McBono
  2. Andrew Long
  3. Escobedo
  4. Nickerson
  5. Zach Sanders
  6. Cashe Quiroga
  7. Robles
  8. Nikko Triggas

Nickerson may have been the last person to beat him in college.  But he wasn't the last person to actually beat Robles in a wrestling match. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, TripNSweep said:

Nickerson may have been the last person to beat him in college.  But he wasn't the last person to actually beat Robles in a wrestling match. 

You posted on the College forum, so I provided a collegiate response.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, lu_alum said:

You posted on the College forum, so I provided a collegiate response.

People discuss a variety of non college wrestling topics here too.  One of the most popular threads is about a guy who never wrestled as far as I know and is completely insignificant to me.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just because I don't have a TV and my favorite show from when I did was M SQUAD...

We have telephone service and internet through it. Works OK and a lot better than the HughesNet satellite service we tried. Often could not get a signal if it was cloudy, or snowing, or raining - just not reliable. The telephone connection is a lot better.

Hope the Robles film does well and comes out soon. Should be a lot better than Stallone and his latest Gramp-o film.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/7/2019 at 5:38 PM, CaliWrestler said:

I want to meet his mom, she looked like Yazadini mom when he won his NCAA championship!!

Check ASU schedule....get in your car and drive to ASU....she's at most home matches where Anthony commentates for PAC-12 Wrestling.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...