TBar1977

Iowa: Undisputed Portal Kings of College Wrestling

The problem is, so many top kids (who are ignored by Sanderson in the recruiting phase) are picking plan B and a team who they think have a shot to take PSU out...think Sasso and Hoffman at tOSU and the entire Young Guns room at Franklin Regional (minus Desanto) at Iowa.

But what if those two teams are not the teams?  The Hidlays may look rather good come March with their decisions.

2 hours ago, LemonPie said:

Well they will win 2021.  Hopefully fall apart after that. 

Don’t be so sure.  PSU will be a force still next year.  Cornell could also probably beat Iowa if the chips fall right.

45 minutes ago, russelscout said:

Who are you even talking to right now?

Apparently you.

I thought I could get a laugh with that comment, but I guess not. Seriously, PSU would need to land someone like that to have a 2021 chance. Cael won't be surrendering, but I will give you an early congrats to Iowa for winning the 2021 NCAA Team Championship 

Edited by TBar1977

3 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

Apparently you.

I thought I could get a laugh with that comment, but I guess not. Seriously, PSU would need to land someone like that to have a 2021 chance. Cael won't be surrendering, but I will give you an early congrats to Iowa for winning the 2021 NCAA Team Championship 

With the way things have been going, I have zero doubts that Cael will pull in someone ready to fill a spot and contend for a title within the next year. I actually think on paper Iowa would have been the favorite next year with PSU losing a bunch anyway, but I am just happy Iowa has been able to distance themselves a bit knowing the PSU will continue to bring in talent. Strange times and it really is starting to get to the point where 10 potential AAs and a handful of title contenders will be needed to win.

We live in the age of entitlement. The transfer portal is a thing and it's here to stay. Any coach that doesn't embrace it will simply be at a disadvantage. Get used to impact transfers shifting the team race every year. It's no longer something to quibble about, it's the new way.

If it does happen it'll be a welcome mix up.  Parity at the top would be nice. 

Penn State is not done though.  A way younger lineup, but would anyone be shocked if this happened:

125) Howard
133) Bartlett
141) RBY
149) Lee
157) Berge
165) Lee
174) Starocci
184) Brooks
197) Beard
285) Kerkvliet (please no)

57 minutes ago, wrestlingnerd said:

We live in the age of entitlement. The transfer portal is a thing and it's here to stay. Any coach that doesn't embrace it will simply be at a disadvantage. Get used to impact transfers shifting the team race every year. It's no longer something to quibble about, it's the new way.

What does the transfer portal have to do with entitlement? 

Transferring may be "entitlement" to some, and if so it falls under one of the very few things we actually ARE entitled to.  Life, liberty and the (here's the important part) pursuit of happiness.

College coaches switch schools, businessmen switch companies, why is the student not allowed to make a move that they feel best fits the pursuit of their goals without some sort of backlash about it?

4 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Transferring may be "entitlement" to some, and if so it falls under one of the very few things we actually ARE entitled to.  Life, liberty and the (here's the important part) pursuit of happiness.

College coaches switch schools, businessmen switch companies, why is the student not allowed to make a move that they feel best fits the pursuit of their goals without some sort of backlash about it?

Boomers are emotional.

I may sound like a hypocrite, as I have always favored athletes/student rights over that of schools and coaches, but the trend of transferring seems to have become too prevalent for my taste. Now every athlete that thinks they can get a easier path to playing time is moving on without any repercussions (sitting out). I would support it more if the person transferring had a legitimate reason for needing to move (new coach, family proximity, course of study, etc.). 

35 minutes ago, JeanGuy said:

I may sound like a hypocrite, as I have always favored athletes/student rights over that of schools and coaches, but the trend of transferring seems to have become too prevalent for my taste. Now every athlete that thinks they can get a easier path to playing time is moving on without any repercussions (sitting out). I would support it more if the person transferring had a legitimate reason for needing to move (new coach, family proximity, course of study, etc.). 

I don't think Gross,  Eierman, Kerk, DeSanto,  etc. fall into the easier path to playing time category?  Is seeing a better fit to pursue your goals a legitimate reason? (Granted Gross was following his coach)

1 hour ago, Lurker said:

Because these kids are just so spoiled with their participation trophies and avocado toast. I think thats how the narrative goes right?

49 minutes ago, JeanGuy said:

I would support it more if the person transferring had a legitimate reason for needing to move (new coach, family proximity, course of study, etc.). 

What if the reason is that they made a decision when they were 18 and now they regret it? Is that enough?