Jump to content
TBar1977

Iowa: Undisputed Portal Kings of College Wrestling

Recommended Posts

16 minutes ago, russelscout said:

Because these kids are just so spoiled with their participation trophies and avocado toast. I think thats how the narrative goes right?

I'd rather not get into the participation trophy topic at the moment......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, russelscout said:

What if the reason is that they made a decision when they were 18 and now they regret it? Is that enough? 

They need to learn that every decision has a consequence. So they should be allowed to transfer but have to sit out a season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, russelscout said:

What if the reason is that they made a decision when they were 18 and now they regret it? Is that enough? 

 

Edited by JeanGuy
double post

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, JeanGuy said:

They need to learn that every decision has a consequence. So they should be allowed to transfer but have to sit out a season.

Why? When they become adults they can go from job to job as they please. It seems like this is something that only applies to athletes.

Edited by russelscout

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, russelscout said:

Why? When they become adults they can go from job to job as they please. It seems like this is something that only applies athletes.

I don't believe that schools/coaches should be able to block kids that want to transfer but they also have to have some level of stability. True that I can leave my job but I have a non complete so that I can't take one for a competitor within a certain distance for a period of time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, JeanGuy said:

They need to learn that every decision has a consequence. So they should be allowed to transfer but have to sit out a season.

Isn't the purpose of college to prepare you for aspects of the career world?  So in that regard, shouldn't they learn they have the right to make a move that best fits their goals without being told they have to be unemployed for a year.   Every bad decision has consequences.  Every good decision has benefits.  If any of these guys make a bad decision by transferring, the consequences will come naturally.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, JeanGuy said:

I don't believe that schools/coaches should be able to block kids that want to transfer but they also have to have some level of stability. True that I can leave my job but I have a non complete so that I can't take one for a competitor within a certain distance for a period of time.

What bothers me about this mind set is that I have recruited before. These colleges are selling themselves to the kids and some will say whatever it takes to get a kid to their school. Its easy to say that a kid should be thorough in choosing a program, but you never really know until you get to school. Also, this is a bigger problem in wrestling as our sport has the 2nd highest percentage of athletes who are 1st generation college students(2nd only to football). Both athletes and parents get taken for a ride sometimes. IMO,  If you have an elite level guy, it should not be the coaches responsibility to get him there, but also to keep him there. I just think its extremely important that we protect the athletes best interests in all of these cases and not punish them just to prove a point. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lurker said:

I mean I'm pretty cool with anything avocado.

Indeed, if there's an avocado I'm in.  In fact I'd go as far as to adding an extra rule to the Coach Finstock in Teen Wolf's rules of life.

1)  Never get less than twelve hours sleep

2)  Never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city

3)  Never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body

4)  Never trust anyone who doesn't like or looks down on avocado

Edited by Gantry

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Lurker said:

Transferring may be "entitlement" to some, and if so it falls under one of the very few things we actually ARE entitled to.  Life, liberty and the (here's the important part) pursuit of happiness.

College coaches switch schools, businessmen switch companies, why is the student not allowed to make a move that they feel best fits the pursuit of their goals without some sort of backlash about it?

It's hilarious to me that those who react to the world "entitlement" almost always do so as if it were a slur of some sort. Talk about irony.... Why is suggesting that the portal institutionalizes entitlement anything but a statement of fact? In what way did anything I say indict anyone of anything but doing what is their right to do?? I'd love to hear when I did that.

Since you reacted the way you did, as an aside, my opinion is that it's totally fine for someone to do what is their right, but you don't have to like it every time. There's a not so fine line between exercising your right in a dignified manner and leaving a bad taste in everyone's mouth as you do it. What Eierman did? All good with me. He served Mizzou in many ways, left the school stronger than when he entered it, and benefited from it himself. Now he's moving to a place with better resources to try to achieve his goals in his final year of eligibility. Hard to find any fault there. What Kerkvliet is doing? Absolutely laughable. I hope he learns a hard life lesson sometime between his fifth and fifteenth transfer.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, wrestlingnerd said:

It's hilarious to me that those who react to the world "entitlement" almost always do so as if it were a slur of some sort. Talk about irony.... Why is suggesting that the portal institutionalizes entitlement anything but a statement of fact? In what way did anything I say indict anyone of anything but doing what is their right to do?? I'd love to hear when I did that.

Since you reacted the way you did, as an aside, my opinion is that it's totally fine for someone to do what is their right, but you don't have to like it every time. There's a not so fine line between exercising your right in a dignified manner and leaving a bad taste in everyone's mouth as you do it. What Eierman did? All good with me. He served Mizzou in many ways, left the school stronger than when he entered it, and benefited from it himself. Now he's moving to a place with better resources to try to achieve his goals in his final year of eligibility. Hard to find any fault there. What Kerkvliet is doing? Absolutely laughable. I hope he learns a hard life lesson sometime between his fifth and fifteenth transfer.

 

I didn’t realize my “reaction” came off so intense. My bad. But where do you stand on over exaggerations and blowing things up to something they’re not?

Edited by Lurker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, russelscout said:

I'm all for the pro avocado theme in this thread, but avocado and egg yolk? Idk about that one

One of favorites is a stack toast, then sautéed spinach, then eggs over easy, then cherry tomotoes and avocado 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Lurker said:

I didn’t realize my “reaction” came off so intense. My bad. But where do you stand on over exaggerations and blowing things up to something they’re not?

You're probably trying to be funny somehow but I'm probably too stupid to get the joke. No clue what that meant. Reaction in quotes suggests you didn't like how I used that work, but I posted something to which you reacted critically, not to mention presumptuously. If that's not a reaction, I don't know what is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wrestlingnerd said:

It's hilarious to me that those who react to the world "entitlement" almost always do so as if it were a slur of some sort. Talk about irony

You deaf to the world? In this day an age anytime "entitlement" is used in relation to the youth it is as a slur of some sort. Excuse us for misinterpreting, however my guess is you just didnt like getting called out by everyone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...