Apparently he lost in wrestleoffs to Devin Schnupp, who is 7-39 lifetime in college and who is known for being a scrappy hard worker who is seriously undersized for the 125 pound weight class.  What is going on with Teske?  A 4x Iowa champ should surely be able to beat a kid like Schnupp?

Teske was the #34 recruit in 2018 and #8 at his weight. The only reason he is getting so much attention is because he is at PSU (which makes sense, but it isn’t based on accomplishments). 

Teske was good in high school, but he wasn’t super sought after. Being #8 at a low weight as a senior in high school doesn’t always translate to college. 

It is common for guys in the 30+ range not to be AA threats ever, and it is rare for them to AA their freshman year. Take into account his size and stats, and I think without the PSU bump, nobody would really expect him to be an AA threat for at least a couple years into college 

1 hour ago, Housebuye said:

Teske was the #34 recruit in 2018 and #8 at his weight. The only reason he is getting so much attention is because he is at PSU (which makes sense, but it isn’t based on accomplishments). 

Teske was good in high school, but he wasn’t super sought after. Being #8 at a low weight as a senior in high school doesn’t always translate to college. 

It is common for guys in the 30+ range not to be AA threats ever, and it is rare for them to AA their freshman year. Take into account his size and stats, and I think without the PSU bump, nobody would really expect him to be an AA threat for at least a couple years into college 

I think he was a four time state champ in Iowa so it isn't like he came without any credentials. As has been stated so many times wrestle offs are tough due to familiarity of training together.

3 minutes ago, JeanGuy said:

I think he was a four time state champ in Iowa so it isn't like he came without any credentials. As has been stated so many times wrestle offs are tough due to familiarity of training together.

Being a 4 timer at a low weight in Iowa doesn’t mean much in terms of ncaa success, and certainly not as a freshman. 

I’m not saying Teske was overrated by rankers (although I wasn’t high on him personally). He is a good wrestler for sure. I just didn’t expect him to be anywhere near AA ready this year, and it seems like those that did expect that are either PSU fans (makes sense) or other fans giving him the PSU bump. 

2 hours ago, Housebuye said:

I always thought it was really strange that PSU went after him. It seemed like they were only very interested because Iowa was interested, but I never got the feeling that he would even be the guy at Iowa.

Ive said it multiple times, but Alex Thomsen was a better prospect in my mind. Although they split matches or maybe it was 2-1 in Teske's favor, Alex was just a better athlete and far more dynamic. We'll see if he pans out at Nebraska.

Edited by russelscout

Schnupp is majoring in Turfgrass Science and is two time first team Academic All Big Ten and a Big Ten Distinguished Scholar.  Does that give anyone a hint as to how the Big Ten dominates the country in wrestling?

6 minutes ago, witwhiz said:

Schnupp is majoring in Turfgrass Science and is two time first team Academic All Big Ten and a Big Ten Distinguished Scholar.  Does that give anyone a hint as to how the Big Ten dominates the country in wrestling?

I can be a little slow at times. Can you explain what you mean here?

8 hours ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Apparently he lost in wrestleoffs to Devin Schnupp, who is 7-39 lifetime in college and who is known for being a scrappy hard worker who is seriously undersized for the 125 pound weight class.  What is going on with Teske?  A 4x Iowa champ should surely be able to beat a kid like Schnupp?

I don't know...maybe Schnupp improved? He has some decent coaches and workout partners....from what I heard. 

21 minutes ago, russelscout said:

So it explain it to me. Just trying to understand what you mean by his major and All big then scholar equals big10 dominance. I dont disagree. 

Obviously, you do understand it if you can write that you don't disagree.

57 minutes ago, witwhiz said:

Those are conference awards/accolades, says nothing about where the b10 fits in the whole country.  Also there are universities outside the b10 with Turfgrass Science programs.

So to answer your question: no it does not.

23 minutes ago, ionel said:

Those are conference awards/accolades, says nothing about where the b10 fits in the whole country.  Also there are universities outside the b10 with Turfgrass Science programs.

So to answer your question: no it does not.

A kid majoring in growing grass is a Distinguished Scholar in the Big Ten?  Mama mia.