Sign in to follow this  
jeffrideal

Flo Talent

I like most of the talent at Flo, but it seems they need an injection of new talent, and preferably someone with high wrestling credentials.  The pool is probably not a large one to choose from, but what would it take to get someone like Cormier as the new face of Flo?  He would obviously be great for FRL, but also as a color guy at big events.  I have heard him call a few wrestling matches and he is one of the best. 

Askren podcasts are awesome. Perhaps even every episode! Askren + Rowlands, Askren + Dernlan, Askren + Warren + Wheelock.

Talking about public-facing Flo personnel: They do have talents. But their talents don't fit all the roles they hold. For instance: Pyles excellent at play-by-play but he's ummm errrr he's 'not excellent' at interviews.

I bet it's hard for Flo to recruit a big name because someone who's got credentials can be picky. Ya really want to spend a lot of time with Flo personnel, grating personalities and all?

Plus: It may well be the case that a celebrity-expert disagrees with the principles/practices that Flo promotes.

Edited by jon

5 hours ago, wrestlingnerd said:

You must've listened irregularly. They were always polite to each other but disagreed quite a bit, sometimes extremely, e.g. the topic of whether college wrestlers use PEDs or not.

I must've, because it seemed to me that the moment Ben pressed him on an issue, Rowlands would concede 

Edited by russelscout

Flo isn’t big enough to hire a big name just for commentating or podcasts. The guys on the podcast or commentating events are also writing the articles/creating content as others have mentioned. 

someone like Kirk herbstreit on espn isn’t writing articles or running the twitter account - he’s there for analysis, calling games, etc. 

1 hour ago, Witherman said:

Flo isn’t big enough to hire a big name just for commentating or podcasts. The guys on the podcast or commentating events are also writing the articles/creating content as others have mentioned. 

someone like Kirk herbstreit on espn isn’t writing articles or running the twitter account - he’s there for analysis, calling games, etc. 

Exactly what I meant with Cormier as you did with Herbstreit.  Do some high level shows, commentate the big events, promote flosports, but not do all the other BS.

9 hours ago, russelscout said:

Am I wierd for liking what they do now? I listen to A LOT of podcasts, but FRL is far and away my favorite one. I think CP is great on commentary. He is maybe one of the best I have heard for wrestling. I cant really comment on the interview skills, bc i dont watch many of them.

I agree with this. 

4 minutes ago, Housebuye said:

I agree with this. 

Yes me too. FRL not my favorite podcast but it's solid. FRL has its own style and it puts out a lot of content. Good things! To be fair: Sometimes FRL personnel make bad mistakes. Pyles's racially tinged wisecrack about Rasheed + headcovering a low moment. [I don't remember the details of this one.] And outing the Bergen Catholic kid early-on in the legal proceeding--when all other outlets protected the kid's anonymity--is awful. [Is this one yet another Pyles gem?] I've not listened recently and so maybe they've made more mistakes too lol.

Edited by jon

10 hours ago, russelscout said:

Am I wierd for liking what they do now? I listen to A LOT of podcasts, but FRL is far and away my favorite one. I think CP is great on commentary. He is maybe one of the best I have heard for wrestling. I cant really comment on the interview skills, bc i dont watch many of them.

To be honest I must say it’s not as good without Willie.   He definitely provided a little contrast and spark of energy, as well as some humor (whether people would be laughing with him or at him).

51 minutes ago, jon said:

Yes me too. FRL not my favorite podcast but it's solid. FRL has its own style and it puts out a lot of content. Good things! To be fair: Sometimes FRL personnel make bad mistakes. Pyles's racially tinged wisecrack about Rasheed + headcovering a low moment. [I don't remember the details of this one.] And outing the Bergen Catholic kid early-on in the legal proceeding--when all other outlets protected the kid's anonymity--is awful. [Is this one yet another Pyles gem?] I've not listened recently and so maybe they've made more mistakes too lol.

Well considering that kid and his father were liars and clowns and the kids name had been all over the internet idk if CP really deserves much blame. A kid and his dad lies and tries to bring down one of the most respected and best coaches and programs in the country and everyone is supposed to protect his anonymity? That whose situation was just a sad joke 

Pyles didn't know, at the time, the kid/family lying. Bell being one of the best coaches has got nothing to do with it. Some coaches do mistreat kids; kids ought to be able to pursue recourse without being outed on a podcast. Even if this treatment means a few liars will enjoy short-lived anonymity. Pyles neither judge nor jury. Nor journo.

Edited by jon

24 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Well considering that kid and his father were liars and clowns and the kids name had been all over the internet idk if CP really deserves much blame. A kid and his dad lies and tries to bring down one of the most respected and best coaches and programs in the country and everyone is supposed to protect his anonymity? That whose situation was just a sad joke 

From what I read it seemed to be a lot more on the dad than the kid 

17 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

From what I read it seemed to be a lot more on the dad than the kid 

Yea definitely was being pressured a little , but the whole season the kid was a nightmare for team, he literally wasn’t aloud to practice with one kid because the coaches thought he was gonna try and hurt him. 

37 minutes ago, jon said:

Pyles didn't know, at the time, the kid/family lying. Bell being one of the best coaches has got nothing to do with it. Some coaches do mistreat kids; kids ought to be able to pursue recourse without being outed on a podcast. Even if this treatment means a few liars will enjoy short-lived anonymity. Pyles neither judge nor jury. Nor journo.

It was known by then that the family first  took there allegations to multiple journalists and media outlets who turned it down then filed a lawsuit through one of the fathers friends who was a lawyer all while not cooperating with police. Idk about you but if my son is being sexually abused in anyway by a coach either I’m having the police kick his door down or I’m kicking his door down, I wouldn’t being telling newspapers about my sons abuse and suing people. The whole thing from the start was ridiculous including the D rate “journalist” who ran and promoted the story