133: Josh Kramer (ASU) def. Marshall Craig (PUR), MD 12-4
141: Parker Filius (PUR) def. Navonte Demison (ASU), D 9-3
149: No. 17 Josh Maruca (ASU) def. Nate Limmex (PUR), D 4-0
157: No. 8 Kendall Coleman (PUR) wins by forfeit
165: No. 6 Josh Shields (ASU) def. Emil Soehnlen (PUR), MD 12-2
174: No. 9 Dylan Lydy (PUR) def. No. 10 Anthony Valencia, D 3-1
184: No. 1 Zahid Valencia (ASU) def. Max Lyon (PUR), Fall 4:01
197: Thomas Penola (PUR) def. Cade Beishay (ASU), D 3-2
285: No. 4 Tanner Hall (ASU) def. David Eli (PUR), TF 20-3 (5:47)

2 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

Maruca and Anthony Valencia with mixed results.

What caught my attention was # 17 ranked Jacori Teemer - who many have said will be an AA as a freshman (or words to that effect) got beat by Virginia's unranked Justin McCoy and then in ASU's 2nd dual ASU forfeited at 157 lbs (Teemer's weight class).

Valencia's loss to Lydy is misleading. Had he been able to finish on anything he'd have had a half dozen takedowns and wouldn't have had to force the last attempt in the waning seconds.

Lydy didn't but lift a finger... maybe twice... the entire match.

If Valencia can find a way to convert his takedowns and/or keep his action in the center of the mat he will make noise come tourney time. Please keep in mind he is but a few months removed from cutting to 163 for freestyle. Will we see him make the cut in-season for a few tournaments in an attempt to qualify? Not sure.

23 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Valencia's loss to Lydy is misleading. Had he been able to finish on anything he'd have had a half dozen takedowns and wouldn't have had to force the last attempt in the waning seconds.

Lydy didn't but lift a finger... maybe twice... the entire match.

If Valencia can find a way to convert his takedowns and/or keep his action in the center of the mat he will make noise come tourney time. Please keep in mind he is but a few months removed from cutting to 163 for freestyle. Will we see him make the cut in-season for a few tournaments in an attempt to qualify? Not sure.

Easier said than done.  In my view, the biggest difference between those who can get it done at the D1 level and those that can't is their ability to finish takedowns.  So far, and apparently still, Anthony has been firmly in the "can't" category.  Not something that gets fixed in a couple months.  Does Lydy have the best defense in the country at 174?  I think not. I won't comment further, since I didn't intend to bag on AV, I just tire of the incessant, annual chant that ASU is gonna be great THIS year.  

2 minutes ago, tigerfan said:

Easier said than done.  In my view, the biggest difference between those who can get it done at the D1 level and those that can't is their ability to finish takedowns.  So far, and apparently still, Anthony has been firmly in the "can't" category.  Not something that gets fixed in a couple months.  Does Lydy have the best defense in the country at 174?  I think not. I won't comment further, since I didn't intend to bag on AV, I just tire of the incessant, annual chant that ASU is gonna be great THIS year.  

I'll bag on him for you. The more contenders at each weight we have the more fun it is as a fan for me. He just isn't getting it done and I am hoping more time to acclimate to 174 will be what puts him over the edge and into the 1st tier of contenders just behind Hall/Kemdawg.

Lydy did what he does. Wins low scoring, low action matches.

His match with Romero was quite beautiful. Romero is essentially a bigger version of Lydy, so seeing Lydy pull that out was nice.

1 hour ago, manatree said:

Is Tanner Hall ranked 2nd or 4th?

The results came from the Virginia and the Purdue websites.  The Virginia results had Hall ranked # 2 and the Purdue results had him ranked # 4.  So obviously they were referring to different rankings.

2 hours ago, nhs67 said:

When I witnessed, in person, Anthony getting rag-dolled by Jacen Pederson in the ASU room I felt he was going to have a rough go in college.

Unlike at Bosco, he's not out-atheticizing college guys.

When I witnessed, in person, Anthony getting rag-dolled by Jacen Pederson in the ASU room I felt he was going to have a rough go in college.
Unlike at Bosco, he's not out-atheticizing college guys.
He out-athleticized NCAA finalist Tyler Caldwell while still in high school. His problem is in his head. That said, if he's still shooting from half way across the mat, he's going to continue to struggle to finish shots.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Bronco said:

What caught my attention was # 17 ranked Jacori Teemer - who many have said will be an AA as a freshman (or words to that effect) got beat by Virginia's unranked Justin McCoy and then in ASU's 2nd dual ASU forfeited at 157 lbs (Teemer's weight class).

Looked like he injured his leg in the match against Virginia.  Slow to get up and visibly limping during the match.  Hope its nothing serious.

16 hours ago, Bronco said:

Agreed. Did Teemer get injured against McCoy?

8 minutes ago, Mad Santa said:

Agreed. Did Teemer get injured against McCoy?

Yea he got hurt towards the end of the second period, didn’t do much of anything in the 3rd, originally thought he was just gassed but then he sat out the next dual and they announced he’s not wrestling today 

Edited by Antitroll2828

Kendall Coleman (also a freshman) is red hot and probably would be favored over Teemer anyway.  Sometimes in the early going, coaches sit guys so as not to facilitate a slump in confidence, especially with a talented freshman.  Probably a smart move.