aknipp

Venz oh so close

Nebraska JR Taylor Venz lead Zahid almost all match, giving up a TD in the last minute and unable to escape lost 8-7

I'm thinking ZV will see 184 a tougher weight than 174. And no I'm not implying Hall isn't tough.  I certainly expected Venz on the podium but I didn't have him top 5.  

Seriously?  I have him as #2 behind Zahid.  He was 4th as a freshman losing to a guy who he pinned (Emery Parker) and owned multiple victories over both finalists last year.  He's being overlooked because he didn't AA last season losing at NCAA's to Preisch and Zavatsky (both of whom are done).

Just now, Konquest said:

Seriously?  I have him as #2 behind Zahid.  He was 4th as a freshman losing to a guy who he pinned (Emery Parker) and owned multiple victories over both finalists last year.  He's being overlooked because he didn't AA last season losing at NCAA's to Preisch and Zavatsky (both of whom are done).

He also lost to rashad who had a torn acl and cash wilke so he’s solid but needs some more consistency 

2 hours ago, Konquest said:

I like Venz a lot. He's had some dominant wins but also head scratching losses. I want to see him in the finals against Zahid. 

1 hour ago, dmm53 said:

It really looked like Venz got the reversal at the end, but the ref didn't call the two.  Venz had three takedowns on Valencia, who was super fortunate to escape with the "win":

https://www.flowrestling.org/events/6305653-2019-journeymen-collegiate-classic/videos?playing=6597509&limit=60

Definitely not a reversal at the end. Zahid had that ankle the whole time. Venz was close, but Zahid caught the ankle as he was turning in to cover.

1 hour ago, uncle bernard said:

Definitely not a reversal at the end. Zahid had that ankle the whole time. Venz was close, but Zahid caught the ankle as he was turning in to cover.

Just watched the replay.  You might be right, but Zahid was fortunate the clock ran out.  He wrestled pretty sloppy most of the match.  

26 minutes ago, treep2000 said:

A lucky pin is much different than multiple takedowns 

Wasn’t a lucky pin.  ‘Daniel’ Lewis got the first takedown that match and was leading at the time of the pin.  Second best pinner all time at Mizzou (won the Gorriaran in 2019).  He did get beat bad the second match though he rode Zahid the whole second period (just didn’t get the cradle again).

Edited by XiXiTiger

If it wasn’t a reversal, it should have been tied, since the only thing stopping the reversal was Z holding the ankle, and he started holding the ankle with 5 seconds on the clock. 
a review would have shown it clearly and we get to see overtime. 

7 hours ago, wrestlingnerd said:

Brutal. I'm done hoping. It obviously wasn't the cut, as most suspected.

I actually think it was a fine weekend for Anthony. 

Anthony, ranked #10, lost to #12 on a last second takedown and beat #11. He also beat a surging Mantanona who will likely be ranked this week. 

16 hours ago, aknipp said:

Nebraska JR Taylor Venz lead Zahid almost all match, giving up a TD in the last minute and unable to escape lost 8-7

I'm thinking ZV will see 184 a tougher weight than 174. And no I'm not implying Hall isn't tough.  I certainly expected Venz on the podium but I didn't have him top 5.  

I have him as a top 5,  but then think about how he looked against Wilke, both when he lost, and then also when he won at Big 10s.

Edited by Coachp

11 hours ago, XiXiTiger said:

Wasn’t a lucky pin.  ‘Daniel’ Lewis got the first takedown that match and was leading at the time of the pin.  Second best pinner all time at Mizzou (won the Gorriaran in 2019).  He did get beat bad the second match though he rode Zahid the whole second period (just didn’t get the cradle again).

I was quoting the other dude

Anthony, ranked #10, lost to #12 on a last second takedown and beat #11. He also beat a surging Mantanona who will likely be ranked this week. 

He has all the talent in the world, I just think when he was beating grown men with the slickest neutral game a high highschool kid could possess 3 or 4 years ago the sky seemed like the limit...
Now the limit (realistically) seems like 7th

10 minutes ago, spladle08 said:

He has all the talent in the world, I just think when he was beating grown men with the slickest neutral game a high highschool kid could possess 3 or 4 years ago the sky seemed like the limit...
Now the limit (realistically) seems like 7th

Yeah totally. I’ve been off the Anthony is a title contender train for awhile, but sometimes I get optimistic. 

I think his ceiling is 4th or so. It is very dependent on his draw. 

2 hours ago, Housebuye said:

That means you already gave up prior to this year. Most had Anthony as an AA lock at some point in this college career. His performance after a redshirt and a move up to 174 left a lot to be desired.

Edited by wrestlingnerd

6 minutes ago, wrestlingnerd said:

That means you already gave up prior to this year. Most had Anthony as an AA lock at some point in this college career. His performance after a redshirt and a move up to 174 left a lot to be desired.

I still think he AAs. As I said in the preseason, Anthony’s success is heavily matchup dependent. A guy like Lidy will always give him problems. With the right draw (which could be a terrible draw for Lidy for example) Anthony will AA.