Jump to content
TBar1977

Ohio State - Stanford

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Completely agree. I don’t understand why he hadn’t been mentioned much coming into the season. His senior year of high school he bonused every match but 1 in a weight class with 4 or 5 current D 1 wrestlers. Jo Jo Aragona had a lot of hype from Flo and places and he finished 3rd at the weight Kinner dominated , then kinner got to spend a full year in the OSU room, could definitely be a podium guy/ at worst a R12 this year 

Seemed people weren’t sure he would even make the lineup because I think the assumption was he was a 141, first you had the rumor of Hayes dropping down, then Pletcher moved up and I don’t think many considered that he’d drop to 133, but yeah he could be dangerous there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Seemed people weren’t sure he would even make the lineup because I think the assumption was he was a 141, first you had the rumor of Hayes dropping down, then Pletcher moved up and I don’t think many considered that he’d drop to 133, but yeah he could be dangerous there.

I’m guilty of this. I thought he wouldn’t make the lineup, or if he did, it would be at 141. I didn’t think he would AA at 141. 
 

at 133? He certainly has a shot. While guys like Desanto and Gomez are rightfully favorites over him, Kinner’s top game will give them problems. Same could be said for RBY. 
  
I’m not picking him over any of those guys right now, but I could see him taking one of them out in the blood round. Top guys are killers at NCAAs, especially deep in the tournament. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Regarding the wrestling... a couple of thoughts I had while watching:

1) Kinner committing to make the cut is a real help to the team.  Hopefully he can manage it for the full season--that's going to take some serious discipline. Excited to see him get another crack at Phillippi.  

2) Not that it's a surprise to anyone, but both Woods and Griffith are in the national title conversation.  Stanford gets four years of those two? Sheesh. 

3) Romero looks much improved, again.  Looking forward to him vs. Womack in a few weeks as a good test.

4) Sasso shouldn't be happy with that performance (and didn't look to be).  vdM stifled all of his offense just stalking forward with a 2 on 1.  Of course he's comfortable defending a single leg but he shouldn't be happy to spend half the match in those positions.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Completely agree. I don’t understand why he hadn’t been mentioned much coming into the season. His senior year of high school he bonused every match but 1 in a weight class with 4 or 5 current D 1 wrestlers. Jo Jo Aragona had a lot of hype from Flo and places and he finished 3rd at the weight Kinner dominated , then kinner got to spend a full year in the OSU room, could definitely be a podium guy/ at worst a R12 this year 

 

Combination of (1) people not expecting him in the lineup, (2) underwhelming freestyle results, and (3) solid redshirt season but taking some losses, including 2 to another true frosh in Matthews.

Still, I agree Kinner has looked solid but before we crown him, let's see him beat at least one ranked opponent.  They don't hand out medals for just keeping it close vs. Phillippi.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

 

Combination of (1) people not expecting him in the lineup, (2) underwhelming freestyle results, and (3) solid redshirt season but taking some losses, including 2 to another true frosh in Matthews.

Still, I agree Kinner has looked solid but before we crown him, let's see him beat at least one ranked opponent.  They don't hand out medals for just keeping it close vs. Phillippi.  

Matthews is pretty good too he just pinned josh heil in like a minute the other day, he had a really good redshirt year 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Moore needs consistency...last week he wins in overtime over a guy who lost to kellan stout last year but this week comes back and destroys a probable blood round guy. Any OSU fans know why he’s always been so wild like that? 

No clue. I agree, we never really know what we're getting. Could be a match up thing, hard to say. 

I will say this, though. Despite the perception that he has Choked/been inconsistent in the post season he does always show up. 3rd as a Frosh, 4th as a Soph (An under performance, sure but losing to the same guy twice, while also beating several very game competitors.) and 2nd as a Junior (losing only to Nikal) is really solid. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Antitroll2828 said:

That may change soon. Cael and a few other big coaches are all for it , problem is it’s not fair to the Ivy League schools who don’t have official redshirts. 

That's as may be, and I hope it can be applied across the board to all sports. For MH this season it will not apply though.

Imagine early season high-end duals where we get 5 years of the best guys on the best teams going at it...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

 

Still, I agree Kinner has looked solid but before we crown him, let's see him beat at least one ranked opponent.  They don't hand out medals for just keeping it close vs. Phillippi.  

I agree with this - solid, but let's wait and see how he holds the weight and how he improves.  He also lost 4-1 to Piotrowski at MSU, who is a solid but hasn't been even R12 in three trips to NCAAs.  Definitely a boost to the tOSU lineup but I'm not penciling him in as R12 or better yet...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, TBar1977 said:

Traxler looked like he mailed his effort in tonite. He looked tougher 3 years ago.

Disagree.  It's the Kollin Moore syndrome.  Certain wrestlers have body types that he destroys and Traxler is one of them.  Really powerful guys like Machiavello and Conel (when he's on) and Cassar seem to negate his slickness and are able to fight their way out of his attacks.    Traxler is too tall and had no way to protect his ankles.  His length played into Moore's hands.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Couple thoughts...

Kollin Moore looked fantastic against a tough Traxler beating him 19-8 (for comparison Bo Nickal beat him 14-4 last year at NCAAs). Haven't seen that type of non-stop scoring motor since his freshman year.

Pletcher turning what looked to be a likely score by Woods off a nice ankle pick in SV into victory shows his development this year. I think we shouldn't be too surprised by this considering his success in the offseason (ie. beating Eierman). Woods is for Real (haha) and should be ranked much higher than 15.

 

Edited by DocBZ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, silvermedal said:

Disagree.  It's the Kollin Moore syndrome.  Certain wrestlers have body types that he destroys and Traxler is one of them.  Really powerful guys like Machiavello and Conel (when he's on) and Cassar seem to negate his slickness and are able to fight their way out of his attacks.    Traxler is too tall and had no way to protect his ankles.  His length played into Moore's hands.

Bo Nickal seemed immune to Moore's low shots. I realize Traxler ain't Bo Nickal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Moore needs consistency...last week he wins in overtime over a guy who lost to kellan stout last year but this week comes back and destroys a probable blood round guy. Any OSU fans know why he’s always been so wild like that? 

I think you are underestimating Jake Woodley. Holding Bo Nickal to a 12-4 and 8-2 victories in the U23 USA World Team finals is fairly impressive. The same Bo Nickal who destroyed the Russian Tsakulov 12-2 in the finals.

Edited by DocBZ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, DocBZ said:

I think you are underestimating Jake Woodley. Holding Bo Nickal to a 12-4 and 8-2 victories in the U23 USA World Team finals is fairly impressive. The same Bo Nickal who destroyed the Russian Tsakulov 12-2 in the finals.

Lou Rosselli appears to be getting things moving forward in Norman.  It took a minute but he's a dmn good coach.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I live within walking distance of the Covelli Center, was at the match last night.

I don't know if the broadcast showed the beauty of tOSU's new facility. Built specifically with wrestling in mind, intimate, not a bad seat in the house. Everything neat and clean, first-class. I've been in wrestling facilities all over the world for many years, this one is really gorgeous.

The Pletcher/Woods match was great. Truthfully, for a few seconds I thought Pletcher was going down with the Woods ankle pick, his recovery was spectacular, crowd went nuts.

Heinselman is lightning-fast and very skilled, but still looks small. Bring back the 118 lb. weight class, he'd be a national champ! :-)

IMHO, Sasso has an outside chance to win it all.

We wrestled our third string heavyweight! When he managed to win, in the last few seconds, the crowd went nuts again. Fun moment. But the Kirkvliet situation really has hurt us at that weight.

All in all, as a big tOSU fan, but also a realist, we've got one hell of a team--way above the average college team, certainly good enough to place high at the Nattys--but we've got some serious holes to fill.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...