Bronco

Need an answer to this question please

How is Arizona State's Josh Maruca ranked # 14 in the nation by WrestleStat?   He's also ranked # 17 by Intermat and # 16 by The Open Mat.   I ask that after seeing his results yesterday at the Journeyman Collegiate round-robin format tournament?  I mean no disrespect by asking this question but I think it's a question that needs to be asked.

149 – Josh Maruca
Round one: Chris Eddins Jr. (Pitt Johnstown) DEC #14 Josh Maruca, 6-2  (Intermat has Eddins ranked as the # 1 NWCA Division II wrestler at 149 lbs - but he is a Division II guy)
Round two: Bye
Round three: Jimmy Hoffman (Lehigh) DEC #14 Josh Maruca, 4-1   (Note - Unranked Hoffman was 8-8 last season for Lehigh)
Round four: Colston Diblasi (George Mason) DEC #14 Josh Maruca, 8-5 (NOTE - Unranked Diblasi competed last season at 165 lbs but has dropped down to 149 as a RS Senior this season)

One would expect that the # 14 ,16 or 17 ranked wrestler in the nation would have won at LEAST one of these three matches yesterday?  Wouldn't one?

I’m guessing because he was a NQ last year and a lot of guys graduated.

Looking at last year, it appears his only really good win (over someone not redshirting) was over Gfeller.

Taking a quick look at Intermats rankings which were the easiest to find, he did beat 2 of the guys currently ranked just below him last year (Pohlmeyer and Rohlfing).  He also beat Brayton Lee who was redshirting.  But he did take quite a few losses last year too (14).

Edited by 1032004

1 hour ago, Bronco said:

How is Arizona State's Josh Maruca ranked # 14 in the nation by WrestleStat?   He's also ranked # 17 by Intermat and # 16 by The Open Mat.   I ask that after seeing his results yesterday at the Journeyman Collegiate round-robin format tournament?  I mean no disrespect by asking this question but I think it's a question that needs to be asked.

149 – Josh Maruca
Round one: Chris Eddins Jr. (Pitt Johnstown) DEC #14 Josh Maruca, 6-2  (Intermat has Eddins ranked as the # 1 NWCA Division II wrestler at 149 lbs - but he is a Division II guy)
Round two: Bye
Round three: Jimmy Hoffman (Lehigh) DEC #14 Josh Maruca, 4-1   (Note - Unranked Hoffman was 8-8 last season for Lehigh)
Round four: Colston Diblasi (George Mason) DEC #14 Josh Maruca, 8-5 (NOTE - Unranked Diblasi competed last season at 165 lbs but has dropped down to 149 as a RS Senior this season)

One would expect that the # 14 ,16 or 17 ranked wrestler in the nation would have won at LEAST one of these three matches yesterday?  Wouldn't one?

He ended Anthony collica college career at ncaas a few years ago but then Jason Tsirtis transferred in and took his spot the next year and he hasn’t looked the same since 

Yeah he's a real tough dude, so the
ranking is justified despite his poor start.

Secondly rankings dont matter, I'll (begrudgingly) split hairs with the best of em about the top 5. But when you're arguing if 14-17 is accurate this early in the season... youre really really really over valuing the # next to the name.
Enjoy the season.

5 hours ago, Antitroll2828 said:

He ended Anthony collica college career at ncaas a few years ago but then Jason Tsirtis transferred in and took his spot the next year and he hasn’t looked the same since 

The collica match was pretty flukey and not really indicative of how good Maruca was. Collica was cruising with 10 seconds left and inexplicably shot in and got leg whipped to his back for 6 to lose. Maruca has always been a guy that floats between 15-25 and often wrestles to the level of his competition. I think he's also cutting a lot to keep 149, so that may affect his performance, especially early in the year.

Just pointing this out to say it's not like he was an AA type guy that fell off. He's been pretty consistent his whole career. 

2 hours ago, KTG119 said:

Eddins from Piit - Johnstown is 2x D2 champ so he's pretty good. 

I can understand a top 20 division I wrestler losing to the # 1 ranked guy in Division II.  

What I don't understand is a wrestler who's ranked # 14 by WrestleStat and # 16 by The Open Mat and # 17 by Intermat losing all three of the matches he had in one day.  Particularly losing to the guy from Lehigh who A. Was not Leigh's starter last season and B. Went 8-8 at 149 lbs for Lehigh last season.

On the positive side for Arizona State they had four freshmen from ASU compete unattached yesterday at the Northern Colorado Open tournament and three of the four took 1st place.  Namely Raimo at 125 lbs, Munoz at 174 lbs and Schultz at 285 lbs.

4 hours ago, spladle08 said:

Also *damnit Anthony Valencia you were so damn slick coming out of HS, I wanna know how your giddy-up got this big of a hitch

(Unrelated but im gonna post it everytime i venture over to the college boards)

With you!  I thought the weight change would work, but he didnt look any better IMO  Do you think he is just done mentally, or did he rely on athleticism in high school that his opponents can match in college?  Either way, huge fan, hope he turns it around but CMON MAN!

12 minutes ago, Bronco said:

I can understand a top 20 division I wrestler losing to the # 1 ranked guy in Division II.  

What I don't understand is a wrestler who's ranked # 14 by WrestleStat and # 16 by The Open Mat and # 17 by Intermat losing all three of the matches he had in one day.  Particularly losing to the guy from Lehigh who A. Was not Leigh's starter last season and B. Went 8-8 at 149 lbs for Lehigh last season.

On the positive side for Arizona State they had four freshmen from ASU compete unattached yesterday at the Northern Colorado Open tournament and three of the four took 1st place.  Namely Raimo at 125 lbs, Munoz at 174 lbs and Schultz at 285 lbs.

Flu?

With you!  I thought the weight change would work, but he didnt look any better IMO  Do you think he is just done mentally, or did he rely on athleticism in high school that his opponents can match in college?  Either way, huge fan, hope he turns it around but CMON MAN!
His neutral game is solid but predictable and his mat wrestling is rough.
He will AA this year hopefully but no lock at all.
Yes to mental, yes to being scouted, just lots of issues. But yes weight change and redshirt I thought may re-spark the greatness, but seems he's settled into who he is going to be. A fringe AA guy. Wouldve loved to see the ole unstoppable slide-by and double but seems to be a thing of the past. Meh. Lets hope he solves it.

35 minutes ago, Bronco said:

hmm maybe the answer is that the ranking was based on prior results and any new ranking will incorporate these newer results

Edited by ugarte

1 hour ago, uncle bernard said:

The collica match was pretty flukey and not really indicative of how good Maruca was. Collica was cruising with 10 seconds left and inexplicably shot in and got leg whipped to his back for 6 to lose. Maruca has always been a guy that floats between 15-25 and often wrestles to the level of his competition. I think he's also cutting a lot to keep 149, so that may affect his performance, especially early in the year.

Just pointing this out to say it's not like he was an AA type guy that fell off. He's been pretty consistent his whole career. 

I agree but the year Tsisrtis took his spot he was having a pretty good year ..only loses to AAs and Keshawn Hayes ...he beat lugo , heilman , blees .i would say that was peak maruca probably his best shot at medaling 

21 hours ago, Antitroll2828 said:

I agree but the year Tsisrtis took his spot he was having a pretty good year ..only loses to AAs and Keshawn Hayes ...he beat lugo , heilman , blees .i would say that was peak maruca probably his best shot at medaling 

That's not completely correct. He didn't beat Heilman and he lost to non AAs Bleise, Hayes, and non-D1 Trey Grine. He also had losses to Oliver and Thomsen who AA'd as freshmen and neither since (Thomsen has one more shot), but not that year, and Degen who didn't place that year either, though he placed the year after.

His best win was over a redshirting Lugo at Midlands, but Midlands was the only event Lugo wrestled that year and he showed rust early in the tournament when he met Maruca (I was there in person for that). Maruca didn't place and Lugo ended up 4th. Outside of Lugo, his two best wins that year were Blees and Jeffries, both of whom were fringe NQs and went a combined 1-4 at NCAAs. 

Being a ASU follower, it has been difficult watching Maruca the past few years. He's showed good skills one match and gets beaten the next match by an assumed inferior opponent. I have hoped for the best yet get disappointed.

Don't really see him qualifying for the NCAA's this year with Van Der Merwe and Rohlfing rated above him in the PAC-12, given the fact that only the champion has an automatic berth. (NOTE: PAC-12 only had a total of 17 qualifiers last year)

4 minutes ago, Tommy Payan said:

Being a ASU follower, it has been difficult watching Maruca the past few years. He's showed good skills one match and gets beaten the next match by an assumed inferior opponent. I have hoped for the best yet get disappointed.

Don't really see him qualifying for the NCAA's this year with Van Der Merwe and Rohlfing rated above him in the PAC-12, given the fact that only the champion has an automatic berth. (NOTE: PAC-12 only had a total of 17 qualifiers last year)

You do realize that's not at all how the qualifying system works, right?

2 hours ago, Bronco said:

I see Maruca has dropped to # 26 in the WrestleStat rankings top 33 at 149 lbs this week.  Yet on his profile on WrestleStat he's listed at # 41.

The #26 is "starters" ranking. The #41 is for ALL 149 wrestlers, including reshirting and injured wrestlers.

149 Starters: https://www.wrestlestat.com/rankings/starters/weight/149

149 ALL Wrestlers: https://www.wrestlestat.com/rankings/weight/149

I have a huge beef with the rankings at the end of last year. The #16 guy at 133 clearly should have been #21 and I need somebody to be held accountable!

What the hell is this topic and why are people trying to explain stuff.

0 to do with seeding, clout, or anything else.

"I hear cucumbers taste better pickled"
Wouldve been a more intriguing headline. Ahhhhhhhh