Sign in to follow this  
Jimmy Cinnabon

Kyle Conel did not look very good

Not sure if he's not in wrestling shape yet but he did not look like the #3 197er in the country.  He wrestled a true freshman from Navy to a 4-3 win.  Looked sluggish and struggled mightly to get out from bottom -- almost got spladled. Perhaps the injury is still bothering him but he did not look great at all.  Makes you wonder if he holds the starting position all year or if Beard eventually usurps it.

Edited by Jimmy Cinnabon

2 hours ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Not sure if he's not in wrestling shape yet but he did not look like the #3 197er in the country.  He wrestled a true freshman from Navy to a 4-3 win.  Looked sluggish and struggled mightly to get out from bottom -- almost got spladled. Perhaps the injury is still bothering him but he did not look great at all.  Makes you wonder if he holds the starting position all year or if Beard eventually usurps it.

Well he hasn't wrestled for almost a year. I doubt he is in peak shape. That being said shoulder instability surgery is probably the hardest injury to come back from as a wrestler and will always be at risk for reinjury IMO

Yeah as many have been saying, Conel had an incredibly NCAAs and he is easy to root for (life has not been kind to him and he has overcome quite a bit - I respect him a hell of a lot). 

but...he doesn’t have good leg attacks or great defense. He doesn’t really turn people either. 

He is super tough, good in the clinch, and has passable defense, but he is extremely matchup dependent. 

If he ends up starting post season and is healthy, I’m picking him to AA, but maybe 7th or so. 

Honestly hope he wins a title. Well maybe 2nd to Moore. 

I hope he goes into coaching. 

5 hours ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

You nailed it in your first sentence. You're catching on as a new fan.

2 hours ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Wow, 1 thread with exactly 1 mention of "Conel".

I need to give you some grief when you create a thread for every possible negative.

Conel doesn't look good

Brody Teske (surely he should be able to beat Schnupp)

Cassar  only 238 lbs 

I'm surprised you din't start a thread on Shak and his recovering knee. You're slacking!

Navy has a knack for overachieving against ranked foes, as they really wear down their opponents.  They are more prone to upsets in duals than tournaments.  Koser looks promising after a "learning" year at the Naval Academy Prep School last year.  I wouldnt sleep on Koser...but I dont think he is a shoe in AQ as a freshman.       

12 hours ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Let's see how good you look when you're in your 40s and wrestling a bunch of college kids.

9 hours ago, silvermedal said:

As a Cavs fan, Conel is the equivalent of JR Smith.  When Smith got hot, he could sink long jumpers from anywhere on the court.  When he wasn't, he sucked.  Same for Conel.  

I'll be on board with this analogy when he's in the final seconds of a match and attempts a takedown on his own teammate.

I agree that Kyle Conel didn't look great against a tall and what we will likely see a very strong Jacob Koser.  But if Jacob Koser proves to be as good as he looked, I guess we'll all agree Conel did ok.

Edited by skikayaker

21 hours ago, Housebuye said:

Yeah as many have been saying, Conel had an incredibly NCAAs and he is easy to root for (life has not been kind to him and he has overcome quite a bit - I respect him a hell of a lot). 

but...he doesn’t have good leg attacks or great defense. He doesn’t really turn people either. 

He is super tough, good in the clinch, and has passable defense, but he is extremely matchup dependent. 

If he ends up starting post season and is healthy, I’m picking him to AA, but maybe 7th or so. 

Honestly hope he wins a title. Well maybe 2nd to Moore. 

I hope he goes into coaching. 

On the plus side he has coaching that is good for building on his strengths and shoring up the weak areas. Cael is a lot like Dan Gable in this. Get good kids, reinforce the mental toughness and work on their mat awareness. Conel will most likely be just fine.

Conel was taken into OT in his Rd of 16 match at Black Knight. I thought he lost when it appeared the Army wrestler took him down, but the TD was waived off and Conel won in 2OT. In his next match he hurt his foot while escaping to start period 3. After injury timeout the CMU wrestler took bottom and reversed him and then rode him out for a 5-3 win. Conel is clearly struggling.