Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
82bordeaux

Tom Ryan interview on Flo

Recommended Posts

I watched the interview that CP had with Tom Ryan yesterday on Flo. As a dyed in the wool PSU fan I gotta say he came off extremely well. He was asked some tough questions and he really appeared to give some thoughtful and honest answers. It is pretty clear he was disappointed in Snyder's move to the NLWC, and he thinks he would be better served staying put. He didn't openly refute CP's theory of the Snyder move being related to Kerkvliet entering the transfer portal. He seemed quietly angry about that move, in discussing his thoughts on recruits looking for what programs/coaches can do for them as opposed to what a recruit can bring to the program/team. He clearly views Kerkvliet as the former. And his eyes did twinkle a bit at the idea of J'den Cox going to the OSU RTC.

It would have been very easy for him to give a canned answer to the questions, but he didn't dodge them. I can see why he is such a good recruiter. he is a great communicator.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, spladle said:

I have no issues with any given recruit doing what is best for themselves.  Wrestling is a selfish sport.

This is true. Any athlete is entitled to look out for their own best interest. However, in any sport if a coach is able to build a group of athletes that combine a drive for individual accomplishment with a love of the team (and a healthy level of selflessness), that coach is more likely to build a consistent championship team. It is true in other individual sports such as gymnastics, or selfish team sports like basketball. Tom Ryan gets that and it is why he has consistently successful individual and team results. I just hope he is consistently second!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, spladle said:

I have no issues with any given recruit doing what is best for themselves.  Wrestling is a selfish sport.

I know the point still stands if you change "recruit" to "person" but is he still considered a recruit if he's already enrolled at the school?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That’s what a creepy, unhinged poster would say.....

Man imagine what the Ohio RTC could have been with both Snyder and Cox there. 
 

I know Kerk is no longer on the Ohio State roster, but I wonder if Cox does indeed come to Ohio, if that makes him reconsider. He has multiple redshirt options available to him.

Reading the tea leaves, it looks like Kerk is waiting on Steveson and his future at Minny to see if he can slide into his spot if he indeed gets booted from their program.

Edited by Aviator12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/12/2019 at 2:00 PM, 82bordeaux said:

I watched the interview that CP had with Tom Ryan yesterday on Flo. As a dyed in the wool PSU fan I gotta say he came off extremely well. He was asked some tough questions and he really appeared to give some thoughtful and honest answers. It is pretty clear he was disappointed in Snyder's move to the NLWC, and he thinks he would be better served staying put. He didn't openly refute CP's theory of the Snyder move being related to Kerkvliet entering the transfer portal. He seemed quietly angry about that move, in discussing his thoughts on recruits looking for what programs/coaches can do for them as opposed to what a recruit can bring to the program/team. He clearly views Kerkvliet as the former. And his eyes did twinkle a bit at the idea of J'den Cox going to the OSU RTC.

It would have been very easy for him to give a canned answer to the questions, but he didn't dodge them. I can see why he is such a good recruiter. he is a great communicator.

With Tom you get some weird stuff, but I'll take it over the generic coach speak that most of them give you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/12/2019 at 12:56 PM, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

All of the interview content that came out of Flo's coverage of the tOSU / Stanford dual I thought was quite good.  Check the rest of it out if you haven't already.  Really good stuff out of CP.

It was one of the single best interviews with a coach I've ever seen. I'm not an Ohio State fan but I loved what he said about looking in the mirror and what can you do for us. He was honest when he said yeah we're going to miss Kyle. He thinks he newds to go to PSU to be his best self and we disagree.  We think he can still get it done here. So if I care for our guys as people like we say we do,  then we can't have a problem with him doing what he thinks is best for him whether we agree or not." If that interview and Tom Ryan are creepy then I'll take that creepy over some of the horses asses that we have in this industry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/12/2019 at 2:32 PM, Aviator12 said:

That’s what a creepy, unhinged poster would say.....

Man imagine what the Ohio RTC could have been with both Snyder and Cox there. 
 

I know Kerk is no longer on the Ohio State roster, but I wonder if Cox does indeed come to Ohio, if that makes him reconsider. He has multiple redshirt options available to him.

Reading the tea leaves, it looks like Kerk is waiting on Steveson and his future at Minny to see if he can slide into his spot if he indeed gets booted from their program.

Maybe I'm wrong. In fact I usually am. But after listening to Ryan and the slippery slope he said we don't need to be going down when referring to wrestling and maybe society in general, I don't think he would take Kerkvliet back if all of a sudden he changed his mind for whatever reason such as J'den being part of the Ohio RTC. Anybody think otherwise? Or does everybody think otherwise?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...