Sign in to follow this  
wrestlingnerd

Rudis podcast on transfer portal

4 hours ago, VakAttack said:

I'm guessing before listening that Ben has some negative thoughts about it in the moment, lol.

Yeah but Dernlan actually seemed more mad about it.  

2 hours ago, Billyhoyle said:

Could somebody summarize for those of us who don't want to take the time to listen?

I haven’t listened to the whole thing and paraphrasing here but I think the gist of Dernlan’s rant was that he didn’t really mind HS kids changing their minds but wasn’t a fan of seniors doing it, since the school has already invested a lot in them.  He basically said Eierman wasn’t an elite (top 10-15) recruit and Smith helped him become a 3x AA, so his question was “what did Smith do wrong” for Eierman to essentially leave him high and dry.  

Askren also threw a tiny jab at Eierman by saying he heard he didn’t really show up to Mizzou’s summer workouts.

They also discussed the fact that this was more of an RTC, post-school decision (which makes it a little different than Conel for example IMO) so that is once again entering a gray area with RTC’s and their affiliation with the schools.  Then talked about how some coaches want to get rid of RTC’s.

40 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Yeah but Dernlan actually seemed more mad about it.  

I haven’t listened to the whole thing and paraphrasing here but I think the gist of Dernlan’s rant was that he didn’t really mind HS kids changing their minds but wasn’t a fan of seniors doing it, since the school has already invested a lot in them.  He basically said Eierman wasn’t an elite (top 10-15) recruit and Smith helped him become a 3x AA, so his question was “what did Smith do wrong” for Eierman to essentially leave him high and dry.  

Askren also threw a tiny jab at Eierman by saying he heard he didn’t really show up to Mizzou’s summer workouts.

They also discussed the fact that this was more of an RTC, post-school decision (which makes it a little different than Conel for example IMO) so that is once again entering a gray area with RTC’s and their affiliation with the schools.  Then talked about how some coaches want to get rid of RTC’s.

Did Eierman graduate already?  If so, I don't think he's obligated to stay for a 5th year. If not, I agree that the ease of transfer is a negative on the sport.  But we are in a new age where everything is now about what the athletes want and not what is best for parity. 

2 minutes ago, Billyhoyle said:

Did Eierman graduate already?  If so, I don't think he's obligated to stay for a 5th year. If not, I agree that the ease of transfer is a negative on the sport.  But we are in a new age where everything is now about what the athletes want and not what is best for parity. 

I don’t think he has.

Yeah they also didn’t seem too happy about the fact that there was little time between the news of his being in the portal and the news that he was going to Iowa (probably more of a knock on Iowa than Eierman, essentially suggesting something fishy going on before he was officially “available”).

I'll summarize.

Matt prefaces by saying he loves athletes rights. Then goes out on a tangent for why Eierman shouldn't have taken advantage of those rights. It was pretty nonsensical.

He didn't like that Eierman transferred because he was on scholarship. He didn't like it because he was a senior. He didn't like it because he was not a top 10 recruit. He didn't like it because Brian Smith is a good coach. More or less Matt Dernlan is very happy if student athletes have more rights, as long as they use those rights in the exact way he wants them to. 

Its really just Dernlen and Askren crying and taking a couple cheep shots at Iowa and Eierman.

Edited by russelscout

1 hour ago, russelscout said:

I'll summarize.

Matt prefaces by saying he loves athletes rights. Then goes out on a tangent for why Eierman shouldn't have taken advantage of those rights. It was pretty nonsensical.

He didn't like that Eierman transferred because he was on scholarship. He didn't like it because he was a senior. He didn't like it because he was not a top 10 recruit. He didn't like it because Brian Smith is a good coach. More or less Matt Dernlan is very happy if student athletes have more rights, as long as they use those rights in the exact way he wants them to. 

Its really just Dernlen and Askren crying and taking a couple cheep shots at Iowa and Eierman.

Well, that’s a ridiculous Iowa fan take on the situation.

Dernlen main problem was that he’s was doing interviews about where he wants to go while he’s still on the Missouri roster then he commits to Iowa after one day in portal making it obvious that Iowa and eierman had been in contact before he was in the portal 

his second issue was the whole interview Eierman is all about me, me ,me I need to develop more and Dernlen pointed out no one has been able to develop wrestlers better then Brian Smith the last 10 years, definitely more then Iowa recently and that Eierman comes across like a guy who doesn’t give a damn about anyone but him

also askren pointed out his AWA guys that are at Missouri told him that Eierman never would show up to workouts or practice and they barely saw him even though they spent a year on the team 

My take on Dernlan's logic: universities and programs invest in student athletes (in a number of ways), and the athletes in turn have an obligation to respect that investment and stick it out with the program once they get past the first year. The principal critique I see him making relates to integrity: i.e., Eierman is lacking because he's broken trust, etc., by not following through on what he started with Smith and Mizzou; Brands and Co. because they may have been communicating with Eierman prior to him entering the portal, etc. There's potential consequences here, too, for the 'rich' getting richer by siphoning away talent from schools who don't have RTCs. Dernlan offers some fair points, but I think he comes across as pretty hard on Eierman--who, like it or not, wants to take a shot at the Olympics this cycle and thinks his best chances at making the team are in the Iowa room. One could argue that he stuck around MO as long as he did because he has integrity, and in this moment, in this cycle, he's made a difficult life decision to start anew. 

56 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Dernlen main problem was that he’s was doing interviews about where he wants to go while he’s still on the Missouri roster then he commits to Iowa after one day in portal making it obvious that Iowa and eierman had been in contact before he was in the portal 

Whats wrong with doing interviews? Shouldnt Matt be embracing that if he is in support of athletes?

Also Eierman said he had always wanted to go to Iowa. It wasnt a hard decision for him. 

There is no controversy. Matt Dernlan was just butthurt.

10 minutes ago, wrestlingzen said:

Eierman is lacking because he's broken trust, etc., by not following through on what he started with Smith and Mizzou

Where was his comment on Kerk? Or Suriano? Or Mckenna? Anyone else at all? For some reason its only an issue of integrity in this case...

1 hour ago, Antitroll2828 said:

his second issue was the whole interview Eierman is all about me, me ,me I need to develop more and Dernlen pointed out no one has been able to develop wrestlers better then Brian Smith the last 10 years, definitely more then Iowa recently and that Eierman comes across like a guy who doesn’t give a damn about anyone but him

When Mckenna left Stanford was that about him?  Dernlen opened by saying he supported the individual athletes, then continued to go on and on about why he didnt in this case.

And yes he said Iowa is not associated with development, yet:

Dan Dennis (2nd at State & Losing Record freshman year = NCAA Finalist / Olympian)
Luke Lofthouse (Losing record freshman year > 5th Place at NCAAs Sr Year)
Tony Ramos ( DNP > 3rd > 2nd > 1st > World Team Member)
Cory Clark (5th > 2nd > 2nd > 1st with 1 arm)
Desanto and Lugo AAed for the first time after transferring
Burak (DNP > 8th > 7th > 4th)
Keddy (Losing record freshman year > 3 x AA)

also askren pointed out his AWA guys that are at Missouri told him that Eierman never would show up to workouts or practice and they barely saw him even though they spent a year on the team 

Well clearly he wasnt gelling with the team. Good thing he can go to Iowa now where he has a better chance at finding success.

Lets be real, they spent 25 minutes whining.

Edited by russelscout

10 minutes ago, russelscout said:

Well clearly he wasnt gelling with the team. Good thing he can go to Iowa now where he has a better chance at finding success.

Lets be real, they spent 25 minutes whining.

Wrestling fans heard an honest discussion with good points...Iowa fans saw whining...

20 minutes ago, russelscout said:

Whats wrong with doing interviews? Shouldnt Matt be embracing that if he is in support of athletes?

Also Eierman said he had always wanted to go to Iowa. It wasnt a hard decision for him. 

There is no controversy. Matt Dernlan was just butthurt.

it’s pretty obvious that he was in contact with Iowa before he was permitted too, you don’t just commit somewhere like Iowa without figuring out things beforehand, so yea entering the portal one day and committing the next is a bad look.

10 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Wrestling fans heard an honest discussion with good points...Iowa fans saw whining...

it was a mutual agreement that Eierman was bad and he shouldn't have gone to Iowa. Not a lot of intriguing dialogue.

11 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

it’s pretty obvious that he was in contact with Iowa before he was permitted too

To who? To you? He said he had always been interested in going there. Plus, it is possible that he had done some thinking before he entered the portal. What are the chances he entered the portal on a whim with little thought beforehand? 

Well, that’s a ridiculous Iowa fan take on the situation.

He was already in the portal when he did the interview, his roster listing status does not mean squat. 

17 minutes ago, russelscout said:

it was a mutual agreement that Eierman was bad and he shouldn't have gone to Iowa. Not a lot of intriguing dialogue.

To who? To you? He said he had always been interested in going there. Plus, it is possible that he had done some thinking before he entered the portal. What are the chances he entered the portal on a whim with little thought beforehand? 

Trollboy says guys are not allowed to think about or make up their mind about where they want to transfer before they enter the portal, they have to just enter it on a whim and then figure out what they want to do later. ;)

19 minutes ago, BLT said:

Trollboy says guys are not allowed to think about or make up their mind about where they want to transfer before they enter the portal, they have to just enter it on a whim and then figure out what they want to do later. ;)

My point is Eierman isn’t going anywhere without a full ride and a school like Iowa just can’t add people in a whim they need to work the books, deal with admissions and a whole other host of logistics so for him to enter the portal then commit to Iowa 12 hrs later and to pretend Iowa worked out everything in that window and hadn’t been working on this for the weeks leading up is just choosing to be blind 

Who were the U23 coaches? They made a joking reference to U23 being a great recruiting trip. If anyone tries to assert that conversations such as those that so obviously occurred in Eierman’s case don’t happen routinely, they’re being intentionally obtuse. Ben’s point about the portal being a joke were spot on. I happen to like Jaydin personally, and wish him the best in achieving his goals. This podcast didn’t paint the best picture of him, that’s clear. The cancerous effect of RTC’s on college wrestling is also clear, as is the positive effects they have on our international efforts post college. 

4 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

It's a bad look for Ben and Dernlan to be taking shots that come very close to, if not cross the line into, being personal attacks on him.  Especially given how they apparently don't name a single other athlete besides the guy leaving Ben's alma mater.

LOL. I know of a podcast that's crossed the line many times...

1 minute ago, VakAttack said:

It's a bad look for Ben and Dernlan to be taking shots that come very close to, if not cross the line into, being personal attacks on him.  Especially given how they apparently don't name a single other athlete besides the guy leaving Ben's alma mater.

Ben’s never been too concerned with how his comments “look” to others. He calls it as he sees it. Always has. There have been many times in the last decade that he has made comments that didn’t ingratiate himself with some Mizzou fans. I think it adds to his credibility, not detracts from it. I think this is an issue that highlights the conflict between what is best for the athletes is not always what is best for the sport, or for college wrestling in particular. 

9 minutes ago, tigerfan said:

Ben’s never been too concerned with how his comments “look” to others. He calls it as he sees it. Always has. There have been many times in the last decade that he has made comments that didn’t ingratiate himself with some Mizzou fans. I think it adds to his credibility, not detracts from it. I think this is an issue that highlights the conflict between what is best for the athletes is not always what is best for the sport, or for college wrestling in particular. 

I think it hurts credibility when you isolate this incident as a flaw in the system, when there have been plenty of other examples. Also, Ben has never been able to say anything good about Iowa. Never. Lets call it what it is. In their mind, this was a slap in the face to Missouri and it really bothers them because he went to Iowa. If Eierman would have went to Nebraska or ISU do you think there would be any outrage? Absolutely not!