Sign in to follow this  
wrestlingnerd

Rudis podcast on transfer portal

9 hours ago, Alwayswrestling said:

Antitroll2828 almost everything you are saying is speculation just like what Dernlen's comments were pure speculation.

Whether speculation or not you have to be sticking your head in the sand to think that he was not talking to Iowa. Whether Ben and the other guy were taking shots is immaterial to the fact that it is a bad look. And if he loved Iowa so much why didn't he go there to start with? Probably because he wasn't good enough and now Ben is pissed that he is leaving Smith and MO in the manner he has done.

1 hour ago, Antitroll2828 said:

PD 3 did go to Iowa he graduated from there I believe. He wasn’t aloud to wrestle because in his words Brands told him “ he wasn’t part of the Wolfpack” because he would go hangout down town and chase woman and not hangout with his teammates, he explained all of that in his walk and talk Flo interview. Ryan Anderson was coming out of his school and didn’t have the gpa or sat score to get in. Both completely different situations 

This post confirms you are obtuse. 

8 hours ago, ConnorsDad said:

Whether speculation or not you have to be sticking your head in the sand to think that he was not talking to Iowa.

Why? 

8 hours ago, ConnorsDad said:

And if he loved Iowa so much why didn't he go there to start with? Probably because he wasn't good enough and now Ben is pissed that he is leaving Smith and MO in the manner he has done.

It sounds like Eierman wanted to go to Iowa, and now that he has a chance he is. He is doing what he feels best for himself. Something that Dernlin says he supports for athletes, but blasts Eierman for actually doing.

12 hours ago, silvermedal said:

As to scholly monies...can't Iowa pay him as an RTC member?  

They cannot discuss that with Eierman until after he graduates. 

that is a major violation. 

practically I’m sure they heavily implied it, but not in writing. Every school does that kind of thing. Eierman wants to go to Iowa for the training. Not for the money. He didn’t shop around for the highest potential compensation. 

In fact, from what I hear tOSU has cash to burn on some RTC guys. He would probably get paid more there, but that isn’t what he is after. 

I respect him, even though I don’t like that he left Mizzou. He didn’t do it on bad terms, at least publicly. 

it will really suck if anyone else follows him though. That team needs the Eierman pipeline

1 minute ago, Housebuye said:

I respect him, even though I don’t like that he left Mizzou. He didn’t do it on bad terms, at least publicly. 

I am a big fan and think his transfer was fine, but let’s just say he did not leave in the most dignified way. I thought he could’ve given Missouri and Smith more credit which they absolutely deserved. I think that was Dernlan’s main issue.

9 minutes ago, wrestlingnerd said:

I am a big fan and think his transfer was fine, but let’s just say he did not leave in the most dignified way. I thought he could’ve given Missouri and Smith more credit which they absolutely deserved. I think that was Dernlan’s main issue.

6 hours ago, russelscout said:

Why? 

It sounds like Eierman wanted to go to Iowa, and now that he has a chance he is. He is doing what he feels best for himself. Something that Dernlin says he supports for athletes, but blasts Eierman for actually doing.

I have no legal issue for lack of a better term with him going at all. But it's obvious or at least to me and some others that he was in contact with Iowa before it happened. Is there incontrovertible proof? No . But we as adults can make  informed decisions and that is the one that  I feel  is most representative of the facts . Whether you ( not you personally but people in general) agree with Askren or not on he owes something to the coaching staff at Missouri's different for different people.

I should have looked further back up before I posted. As usual Nerds comment is probably what I was trying to say. I don't have a big problem with him leaving but it certainly could have been handled better. That's probably the best way for me to say it

From listening to the podcast, it appeared to me that Derlan took exception to and got worked up about Eierman’s comments regarding Mizzou not developing him enough. Dernlan and Ben discussed how rare it is to be a 4-time AA, and Eierman has already become a 3-time AA at Mizzou, while not being the most blue chip of blue chip recruits. Dernlan asks how has that now shown development? Eierman has gone from a really good wrestler to within one takedown of beating Yianni (who people put on a pedestal) for the last two years.

Ben’s comment regarding Eierman not showing up to Mizzou summer workouts was in relation to them discussing the topic of “Eierman says that Mizzou hasn’t developed him enough, but did he really take advantage of everything Mizzou had to offer?” I agree that Ben is a total Iowa hater, and he usually leans into it because he enjoys trolling the Iowa fanbase, but you can tell he was barely even thinking about Iowa in this podcast. They were more an afterthought to the main focus, which was Eierman’s claims about Mizzou’s development.

As to people saying that Dernlan is being nitpicky by only bringing up Eierman transferring and not others: all situations are not the same. McKenna transferred after his sophomore season when he regressed and didn’t even AA. Also Stanford does not have as strong of a track record of developing guys at the highest level like Mizzou. Kerkvliet has just started college, it’s not like he’s spent 4 years at a school, seen a ton of success and then transferred. You can’t just pick any person who’s ever transferred and say that Dernlan is being hypocritical by not mentioning them in the same breath as Eierman when their individual circumstances can be vastly different.

32 minutes ago, ConnorsDad said:

I have no legal issue for lack of a better term with him going at all. But it's obvious or at least to me and some others that he was in contact with Iowa before it happened. Is there incontrovertible proof? No . But we as adults can make  informed decisions and that is the one that  I feel  is most representative of the facts . Whether you ( not you personally but people in general) agree with Askren or not on he owes something to the coaching staff at Missouri's different for different people.

I dont understand how that is an informed opinion. Eierman could have easily made up his mind before he entered the portal, and 1. who is not going to reach out to a talent like that? and 2. why would Iowa not take him? You make room for someone who is a title threat. How long do you think he needed to stay unsigned before it seemed acceptable?

35 minutes ago, Stl said:

Ben’s comment regarding Eierman not showing up to Mizzou summer workouts was in relation to them discussing the topic of “Eierman says that Mizzou hasn’t developed him enough, but did he really take advantage of everything Mizzou had to offer?” I agree that Ben is a total Iowa hater, and he usually leans into it because he enjoys trolling the Iowa fanbase, but you can tell he was barely even thinking about Iowa in this podcast. They were more an afterthought to the main focus, which was Eierman’s claims about Mizzou’s development.

If Ben doesn't have first-hand knowledge, than this is a shot no matter how you look at it.  Especially since there are people with first-hand knowledge are disputing it....

https://twitter.com/DarickLapaglia/status/1194679961677942794?s=20

Edited by VakAttack

6 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

If Ben doesn't have first-hand knowledge, than this is a shot no matter how you look at it.  Especially since there are people with first-hand knowledge are disputing it....

If someone you trust tells you something, it’s not a shot to take them at their word. I’m not saying what Ben said is 100% true, but it’s not like Ben is spouting message board rumors. Also both statements could be true, Eierman could have been at RTC practices 2 years ago and not this past summer.

Vak, if someone you knew close to the Iowa program told you something that you repeated on a message board, and then another person disputed it, would that necessarily mean you were taking shots at someone?

We all know how outspoken Ben is. If Ben wanted to take shots at someone, he would take shots at someone and no one would have any doubts he’s ragging on them.

2 minutes ago, Stl said:

If someone you trust tells you something, it’s not a shot to take them at their word. I’m not saying what Ben said is 100% true, but it’s not like Ben is spouting message board rumors. Also both statements could be true, Eierman could have been at RTC practices 2 years ago and not this past summer.

Vak, if someone you knew close to the Iowa program told you something that you repeated on a message board, and then another person disputed it, would that necessarily mean you were taking shots at someone?

We all know how outspoken Ben is. If Ben wanted to take shots at someone, he would take shots at someone and no one would have any doubts he’s ragging on them.

It's 100% a shot to pass gossip you're hearing second hand.  Especially since people that Ben would have contact with would inherently have an agenda.

On 11/13/2019 at 2:27 PM, tigerfan said:

I think trying to ascertain anyone’s internal motivations for a specific action or statement is an exercise in futility. Speculate all you want. Ben is one of the most painfully honest men I’ve ever met. That much I know. 

So wouldn't Dernlan and Ben be doing the exact same thing you claim is an exercise in futility?

25 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

I’m not trying to take sides here (really, no dog in the fight), but Ben was referring to the past year or so, not two years ago, and the HS kid he had instructed to seek out Eierman for his elite feel for wrestling (Mocco, I believe) is not the first person inside the program I’ve heard say it. I think both can be right at once, in other words. 

Edited by wrestlingnerd

1 minute ago, wrestlingnerd said:

I’m not trying to take sides here (really, no dog in the fight), but Ben was referring to the past year or so, not two years ago, and the HS kid he had instructed to seek out Eierman for his elite feel for wrestling (Mocco, I believe) is not the first person inside the program I’ve heard say it. I think both can be right at once, in other words. 

Possibly.  But what's the point in putting it out there?  To make Eierman look bad.  There's simply no other reason to put it out there.

I know you (at this point) aren't disputing that part of the discussion, but it appears others are.

1 minute ago, VakAttack said:

Possibly.  But what's the point in putting it out there?  To make Eierman look bad.  There's simply no other reason to put it out there.

I know you (at this point) aren't disputing that part of the discussion, but it appears others are.

The reason Ben most likely brought it up was because he didn’t think it was fair for Eierman to say that Missouri hadn’t developed him enough when (according to what Ben heard from a first hand source who to my knowledge would have no agenda against Eierman) Eierman didn’t fully take advantage of what Mizzou had to offer.

If a wrestler transferred from Iowa and took pot shots at your program on the way out, you would defend your program if the criticism was unjustified. What Ben had to say had more to do with defending Mizzou and Brian Smith, at least from my viewpoint.

On that point, Vak, I’m in your camp. Ben mentioned it to make Eierman look bad, if you will. But it wasn’t an isolated shot he took in a vacuum. It was in response to the notion that Eierman was too good for Mizzou when he hadn’t fully taken advantage of every opportunity offered. Again, I think both of those things can be true: Eierman had maxed out his progression at Mizzou or at least was convinced of it (which is pretty much same thing...) and therefore his commitment level to Mizzou practices waned.

If he would’ve left the way McKenna left Stanford, I don’t think most people with a bad taste in their mouths would be discussing the departure as much, if at all. The thinly veiled shots at the program were as unnecessary as Ben’s shots at Iowa.

Edited by wrestlingnerd

21 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

It's 100% a shot to pass gossip you're hearing second hand.  Especially since people that Ben would have contact with would inherently have an agenda.

Semantics I guess but he didn't "hear it second hand."  He heard it first hand.