Sign in to follow this  
executionery4145

5 match rule ?

I think the rule was created in the 1980s (early 90s), I remember that, at least, California complained, because, at that time, they ran a 16 man with full wrestleback tournament, which we all know means 2 guys wrestle 6 bouts. Their complaint was they could no longer hold the event in one day  

Edited by RichB

while it would be nice to conduct a 16-man bracket through 3rd and 5th, unfortunately by allowing a 6th match, there would be more schools looking to run marathon multi-team duals with 7 teams wrestling 6 RR matches, lasting 10 hours.  however, my biggest issue with the 5-match rule is regarding the awarding of the team points via forfeit to the wrestler who has not had 5 matches (over the wrestler who has had 5, per 1.4.3 detailed in casebook).  often, the same wrestler who earns those pin points was beaten in the round of 16 by the opponent he then earns a forfeit over, as that kid hits 5 matches by winning/losing/winning/winning/winning (whereas the kid who lost in the 1st round often does not hit 5, unless a full 16, as he goes loss/bye/win/win/win).  no points should be awarded, with both taking 4th.

11 minutes ago, davenowa said:

while it would be nice to conduct a 16-man bracket through 3rd and 5th, unfortunately by allowing a 6th match, there would be more schools looking to run marathon multi-team duals with 7 teams wrestling 6 RR matches, lasting 10 hours.  however, my biggest issue with the 5-match rule is regarding the awarding of the team points via forfeit to the wrestler who has not had 5 matches (over the wrestler who has had 5, per 1.4.3 detailed in casebook).  often, the same wrestler who earns those pin points was beaten in the round of 16 by the opponent he then earns a forfeit over, as that kid hits 5 matches by winning/losing/winning/winning/winning (whereas the kid who lost in the 1st round often does not hit 5, unless a full 16, as he goes loss/bye/win/win/win).  no points should be awarded, with both taking 4th.

Disagree with the last part...points should be split, IMO.

On 11/13/2019 at 5:01 PM, executionery4145 said:

What is the history behind the 5 match rule ? Why did they put this rule in and why is the number 5 matches? Does anyone feel it should increase to maybe 6 or 7?

My sophomore year of high school, we went to a dual meet tournament.  It was a novel concept in TN back in 1997.  I had to wrestle four matches that day.  Based on event sizes of previous tournaments and/or my ability to advance or lack of ability to advance in tournaments, I had never wrestled that many matches in a day.  Well, by the end of the fourth match, all of which went the distance, I felt like I was going to kill over.  I can definitely see a safety factor in more than 5 matches in a day.