Housebuye

Anthony Echemedia Commits to Ohio State

12 minutes ago, TripNSweep said:

His birthdate was on his Facebook page which has since been scrubbed.  

I’m sorry, you must have misunderstood the question. I was asking if you had a solid source....?

1 hour ago, TripNSweep said:

He's really going to struggle.  I don't know why everybody is hyping him up so much.  He has potential to be good, but keep in mind he was having very close matches with Arizona high school kids.  If it were PA or some other powerhouse state that would be different, but let's face it, AZ is maybe a top 20 state and that's being pretty generous IMO.  He's going to find college wrestling a lot tougher than blowing out high school kids he's 7 years older than.  His best win in high school was against a D2 commit who as much as I liked him as a wrestler, is a pretty median D2 recruit.  Also it's going to be a challenge for him academically.  So I wouldn't bank on Ohio State, or wherever he does end up, counting on him to produce anything right away or maybe ever.  

1 hour ago, Billyhoyle said:

I thought he was 19?  Essentially no different than Mark Hall/Logan Stieber age wise at that level. In terms of academics, there are many classes at every big school like tOSU/OSU/PSU/Alabama for athletes to stay eligible, as long as he shows up to class.  Your post seems very bitter for some unknown reason.  

I don't think his post sounds bitter I think it sounds realistic in fact more realistic than the "he's a favorite to win the NCAA this year" crowd, lol. Obviously the seven years older was a little tongue-in-cheek but Trip is right on. I saw him wrestling @ who's number one, I saw him wrestling in high school and while he is certainly a talent nobody who wrestled in college only deals with wrestling. Their are girls, life on your own, school work regardless of what that schoolwork is and a million other things. That's why so many people who were can't miss prospects miss. You add in the fact that this is a guy who doesn't speak the language that well and is just here from Cuba it's going to make it even harder on him. I wish him the best but he wasn't exactly smoking Arizona high school kids in folkstyle. Freestyle may be another matter I don't know. Let's pump the brakes once or twice here, root for him to do well but be realistic in our expectations.

2 hours ago, WillieBoy said:

Unless he really works at it he'll see a lot of the mat, face first as he's ridden into oblivion.

Turns in Folkstyle will take some getting used to as one actually has to turn and keep it there rather than the "roll me over" silliness of Freestyle.

If there's anyone who can teach him how to get out from bottom, it's tOSU with Tomasello and Bo Jordan...oh wait...

12 minutes ago, TripNSweep said:

His birthdate was on his Facebook page which has since been scrubbed.  

I’m sorry, you must have misunderstood the question. I was asking if you had a solid source....?

53 minutes ago, ConnorsDad said:

I don't think his post sounds bitter I think it sounds realistic in fact more realistic than the "he's a favorite to win the NCAA this year" crowd, lol. Obviously the seven years older was a little tongue-in-cheek but Trip is right on. I saw him wrestling @ who's number one, I saw him wrestling in high school and while he is certainly a talent nobody who wrestled in college only deals with wrestling. Their are girls, life on your own, school work regardless of what that schoolwork is and a million other things. That's why so many people who were can't miss prospects miss. You add in the fact that this is a guy who doesn't speak the language that well and is just here from Cuba it's going to make it even harder on him. I wish him the best but he wasn't exactly smoking Arizona high school kids in folkstyle. Freestyle may be another matter I don't know. Let's pump the brakes once or twice here, root for him to do well but be realistic in our expectations.

He sounds bitter because he says this guy is 7 years older and is questioning whether he will struggle in school, not because he's suggesting the transition to folkstyle might be difficult.  

2 hours ago, Greatdane67 said:

The reports of the demise of Coach Ryan seem to be premature........

Maybe Brands took Anthony out to the cornfield and he didn't like it, but Tom Ryan took him into the pews and they connected over some good bible verses. Coach Ryan just being smart and playing to his strengths.

Edited by TBar1977

4 hours ago, nyum said:

Post a match he’s lost. Otherwise “very close” is just another win and shouldn’t be used as a knock against him. 

Unfortunately I only recorded my kids matches at the tournament in high school. I had no idea Echemendia was going to become the next internet sensation. 

Edited by ConnorsDad
Sp.

41 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Are there any particular rules about off campus contact between recruits/coaches?  Based on Echemendia’s social media, apparently him and Tom Ryan were hiking in Colorado Springs or something?

Talk of hiking trips and priests all in 1 thread never has a happy ending 

Edited by Sublime607

18 minutes ago, ConnorsDad said:

Unfortunately I only recorded my kids matches at the tournament in high school. I had no idea he was going to become the next internet sensation. 

No need for video evidence, just a match score. Also, while Denen and Dawon aren’t exactly world beaters they are both exceptional by Az standards. Definitely not your run-of-the-mill Az state champs

2 hours ago, Billyhoyle said:

He sounds bitter because he says this guy is 7 years older and is questioning whether he will struggle in school, not because he's suggesting the transition to folkstyle might be difficult.  

I question whether he will struggle at a university because as bright and intelligent as he may be, his English is terrible.  Aside from some foreign language classes, most classes are taught in English. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that unlike other college students who come here as foreigners, a lot of them either can speak it reasonably well or are geared towards specific studies that don't require that much like engineering or math.  Going to guess he's not an engineering prodigy or math whiz, though maybe he is.  He got through high school, but that was with considerable help due to his language skills, and the fact that Sunnyside has a lot of people who speak Spanish and he could very easily communicate.  I would question this a lot less if he was playing football, but it's kind of surprising to think that he, somebody who is probably on a partial scholarship, in a non revenue sport is going to be herded through like so many football players in college are.  College is a lot different from high school, and I do think he will have some struggles academically.  Academics were what kept another foreigner who was great at freestyle from Arizona out of college in the first place.  

I'm not bitter, but it would be dumb not to question that he arrives here and his birthday just happens to be a within a week of the cutoff to be eligible for sports in high school.  Also that he wouldn't be the first or last Cuban to lie about his age or claim he didn't know what it is.  My problem is that he was straight up recruited and told how to game the system and he did it.  I don't fault him for leaving a crappy situation and wanting a better life.  Any of us would do it, and hey if it means fudging a few years off your age, then so be it.  If he came here and started wrestling unattached or whatever, do you think he would have gotten as much attention?  Probably not.  I just don't like how it went down, because it obviously benefited some people to bring him here.  That's the part that pissed off some coaches and other people.  Because what's to stop you from going to Dagestan and finding guys who can fudge their age by a few years and do the same thing?  All that really prevents stuff like that is wrestlers getting paid and they don't really care about coming to college and doing this for free.  

48 minutes ago, nyum said:

No need for video evidence, just a match score. Also, while Denen and Dawon aren’t exactly world beaters they are both exceptional by Az standards. Definitely not your run-of-the-mill Az state champs

Even with wins over them that doesn't mean he's going to be a contender to AA anytime soon.  If that's the case then how come no D1 schools picked up on them, guys he eked out wins over?  Particularly Fernandez who nearly pulled it off at the end.  

I question whether he will struggle at a university because as bright and intelligent as he may be, his English is terrible.  Aside from some foreign language classes, most classes are taught in English. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that unlike other college students who come here as foreigners, a lot of them either can speak it reasonably well or are geared towards specific studies that don't require that much like engineering or math.  Going to guess he's not an engineering prodigy or math whiz, though maybe he is.  He got through high school, but that was with considerable help due to his language skills, and the fact that Sunnyside has a lot of people who speak Spanish and he could very easily communicate.  I would question this a lot less if he was playing football, but it's kind of surprising to think that he, somebody who is probably on a partial scholarship, in a non revenue sport is going to be herded through like so many football players in college are.  College is a lot different from high school, and I do think he will have some struggles academically.  Academics were what kept another foreigner who was great at freestyle from Arizona out of college in the first place.  

I'm not bitter, but it would be dumb not to question that he arrives here and his birthday just happens to be a within a week of the cutoff to be eligible for sports in high school.  Also that he wouldn't be the first or last Cuban to lie about his age or claim he didn't know what it is.  My problem is that he was straight up recruited and told how to game the system and he did it.  I don't fault him for leaving a crappy situation and wanting a better life.  Any of us would do it, and hey if it means fudging a few years off your age, then so be it.  If he came here and started wrestling unattached or whatever, do you think he would have gotten as much attention?  Probably not.  I just don't like how it went down, because it obviously benefited some people to bring him here.  That's the part that pissed off some coaches and other people.  Because what's to stop you from going to Dagestan and finding guys who can fudge their age by a few years and do the same thing?  All that really prevents stuff like that is wrestlers getting paid and they don't really care about coming to college and doing this for free.  

As long as he shows up to class and puts in some effort, he will pass.  There are some classes that are intense where you can fail even if you do try, but there are others (at every school) that just want to see some effort. I believe he has access to the same tutors as the other athletes...If you were an athlete in college you would understand that the university has tracks designed to keep these guys academically eligible unless they really refuse to cooperate. At the end of the day, a college degree these days doesn't mean very much and these places are practically diploma mills.  And yes, that includes even Harvard where they have this thing called the extension school where you basically purchase a degree. And because English isn't his first language, I think profs would be willing to cut him some slack if he puts in effort, since a number of students at universities are international (mainly from China) and also struggle with English.

You're leveling accusations at him about his age, but can you please provide some evidence?   How would you feel if somebody made accusations against you without providing any evidence? What you are accusing him of is actually a crime  (depending on what forms he has filled out with his age), so you should have some type of document that supports your claim if you are going to libel him on a public forum.  It's one thing to say he looks old for his age and the situation is a bit suspicious-it's another to claim as you are doing that your accusations are true.  You might want to ask yourself why this kid in particular has triggered this reaction from you-what about him is different than the other kids?

Edited by Billyhoyle

Even with wins over them that doesn't mean he's going to be a contender to AA anytime soon.  If that's the case then how come no D1 schools picked up on them, guys he eked out wins over?  Particularly Fernandez who nearly pulled it off at the end.  

You’re right. It doesn’t mean he’s going to be an AA contender anytime soon, but they absolutely don’t indicate he will be a bust as your post intended to suggest. Additionally, his performance at Fargo and Who’s Number 1 speak volumes to his abilities. Whether or not a D1 coach can tailor his game to folk is yet to be seen. But, he is an interesting prospect to say the least. 

22 minutes ago, Billyhoyle said:

As long as he shows up to class and puts in some effort, he will pass.  There are some classes that are intense where you can fail even if you do try, but there are others (at every school) that just want to see some effort. I believe he has access to the same tutors as the other athletes...If you were an athlete in college you would understand that the university has tracks designed to keep these guys academically eligible unless they really refuse to cooperate. At the end of the day, a college degree these days doesn't mean very much and these places are practically diploma mills.  And yes, that includes even Harvard where they have this thing called the extension school where you basically purchase a degree. And because English isn't his first language, I think profs would be willing to cut him some slack if he puts in effort, since a number of students at universities are international (mainly from China) and also struggle with English.

You're leveling accusations at him about his age, but can you please provide some evidence?   How would you feel if somebody made accusations against you without providing any evidence? What you are accusing him of is actually a crime  (depending on what forms he has filled out with his age), so you should have some type of document that supports your claim if you are going to libel him on a public forum.  It's one thing to say he looks old for his age and the situation is a bit suspicious-it's another to claim as you are doing that your accusations are true.  You might want to ask yourself why this kid in particular has triggered this reaction from you-what about him is different than the other kids?

That isn't really true, just showing up means you'll pass.  And yes I imagine things are different from a large university versus where I actually competed, but even then it seems hard to imagine that there's a structure to keep an athlete on a partial scholarship who isn't considered a top recruit eligible in a non revenue sport.  Maybe Ohio State is different?  I've never attended classes there.  I do know that for certain revenue sports there is a lot of "help" going around, and I've heard the same for the top end wrestlers, but I find it kind of silly to think people would go to all that trouble for him.  I could be wrong though, it just seems unusual.  Especially when other Cuban defectors came here and wrestled in college with not the kind of results you'd think.  As a graduate of a university where a lot of foreign students are Chinese, I can tell you that most of them can speak English pretty well.  The language barrier is an issue because for certain core classes and also to advance in your major, you need to score well on English language proficiency tests.  With the right major I suppose it's possible to avoid certain classes where having a strong command of the English language is needed or even necessary, but unless Echemendia is some kind of engineering or math genius (and maybe he is?) those kinds of programs tend to be fairly competitive and time consuming.  

I explained why I thought that.  The fact that there's a lot of people who've openly questioned it, supported by the suspicious birthday, the set of circumstances that he happened to land at a wrestling powerhouse (in Arizona anyway), and that he has admitted to having a child of a certain age to more than a few people.  My problem with it is not that he's here and wrestling, my problem is more to do with the way it occurred and why certain people facilitated it for their benefit.  I don't think Echemendia is a bad guy at all.  I think he is doing what he had to in order to escape a crappy situation.  I think that there's some people who took advantage of that and told him what to say or do and rewarded him for it.  That's my problem with the situation.   

10 minutes ago, nyum said:

You’re right. It doesn’t mean he’s going to be an AA contender anytime soon, but they absolutely don’t indicate he will be a bust as your post intended to suggest. Additionally, his performance at Fargo and Who’s Number 1 speak volumes to his abilities. Whether or not a D1 coach can tailor his game to folk is yet to be seen. But, he is an interesting prospect to say the least. 

I can think of lots of guys who showed their stuff in Fargo and turned into nothing come college.  Being good there and winning doesn't equal college success.  Especially when you've barely wrestled in folkstyle, which is about as similar to freestyle as tennis is to volleyball.  

If he was 24, would he be elligible for Juniors?  I would think that if he was a 6 time national champ for CUBA, the majority of them would be for senior teams and we woul'd have seen him at a senior world level event representing cuba. 

47 minutes ago, TripNSweep said:

I can think of lots of guys who showed their stuff in Fargo and turned into nothing come college.  Being good there and winning doesn't equal college success.  Especially when you've barely wrestled in folkstyle, which is about as similar to freestyle as tennis is to volleyball.  

Oooh yes the data definitely suggests Fargo is a hell hole for recruiting. 

How many ways can you spin an argument?

If you look at how this kid represents himself and the pride he has, I think he will thrive.  He DOES come from Cuba and I think he understands that this is his golden moment in life, attending college in the US.  He is no normal recruit, this kid left his family behind to better his life and opportunity.  He more than any of us understands this and I dont think the kid can fail.  Too much sacrifice on his part to let this slip away. 

8 hours ago, 1032004 said:

Are there any particular rules about off campus contact between recruits/coaches?  Based on Echemendia’s social media, apparently him and Tom Ryan were hiking in Colorado Springs or something?

There are rules and regulations for recruitment.

None apply here. The rules and regulations apply to high school students(different rules for those committed and those that aren't) and to kid's enrolled in college already.

He is essentially college eligible(graduated last year) with no college commitment. It is open season. Free agency.

He is however still held to the financial restrictions that the NCAA stringencies encompass.