Housebuye

Anthony Echemedia Commits to Ohio State

16 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

There are rules and regulations for recruitment.

None apply here. The rules and regulations apply to high school students(different rules for those committed and those that aren't) and to kid's enrolled in college already.

He is essentially college eligible(graduated last year) with no college commitment. It is open season. Free agency.

He is however still held to the financial restrictions that the NCAA stringencies encompass.

Got ya, yeah I would assume it was legal if he was posting pictures on social media, but of course that hasn’t stopped other people in the past from posting things they shouldn’t be on social media.

Alrhough on the topic of Ryan, a couple posters on BWI seem to be suggesting that Ryan might’ve given him an ultimatum to commit before taking his 5th official visit (which it seems likely would have been PSU), since he committed before he said he was going to (the 20th).

1 hour ago, 1032004 said:

Got ya, yeah I would assume it was legal if he was posting pictures on social media, but of course that hasn’t stopped other people in the past from posting things they shouldn’t be on social media.

Alrhough on the topic of Ryan, a couple posters on BWI seem to be suggesting that Ryan might’ve given him an ultimatum to commit before taking his 5th official visit (which it seems likely would have been PSU), since he committed before he said he was going to (the 20th).

If so, good work by Ryan 

9 hours ago, TripNSweep said:

I question whether he will struggle at a university because as bright and intelligent as he may be, his English is terrible.  Aside from some foreign language classes, most classes are taught in English. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that unlike other college students who come here as foreigners, a lot of them either can speak it reasonably well or are geared towards specific studies that don't require that much like engineering or math.  Going to guess he's not an engineering prodigy or math whiz, though maybe he is. 

Of course it won't be easy.  But he will have considerable resources at his disposal, both as a student athlete and as a Cuban refugee and first-generation student. He will also have a support system in place that will hold him accountable. I have no idea what kind of student he is, but if he applies himself in his studies I have no doubt he can pass.  His English has improved leaps and bounds even just from Fargo to now.  And trust me, there are students with even worse English skills getting degrees from colleges all across the country every year. 

None of that guarantees success, but the path is there.  

Edited by steamboat_charlie v2

2 hours ago, nhs67 said:

There are rules and regulations for recruitment.

None apply here. The rules and regulations apply to high school students(different rules for those committed and those that aren't) and to kid's enrolled in college already.

He is essentially college eligible(graduated last year) with no college commitment. It is open season. Free agency.

He is however still held to the financial restrictions that the NCAA stringencies encompass.

Not quite true. Unless he has met one of the following criteria, he is still a prospective student athlete:

(a) The individual officially registers and enrolls in a minimum full-time program of studies and attends classes in any term of a four-year collegiate institution’s regular academic year (excluding summer);

(b) The individual participates in a regular squad practice or competition at a four-year collegiate institution that occurs before the beginning of any term;

(c) The individual participates in required summer athletic activities before his or her initial full-time enrollment at the certifying institution;

(d) The individual officially registers, enrolls and attends classes during the certifying institution’s summer term prior to his or her initial full-time enrollment at the certifying institution; or

(e) The individual reports to an institutional orientation session that is open to all incoming students within 14 calendar days prior to the opening day of classes of a regular academic year term

I haven't seen anything that shows he has, so he still has to abide by the recruiting rules.

12 hours ago, Fletcher said:

If there's anyone who can teach him how to get out from bottom, it's tOSU with Tomasello and Bo Jordan...oh wait...

Tomasello was fantastic at getting out.  I guess Spencer Lee rode him a bit and stuck him in a scramble...  And I think you mean micah Jordan as Bo didn’t really struggle from bottom.  Maybe Dan Lewis and Mark Hall rode him?  Pretty high standard there as well.

Fair point that the bottom position isn’t exactly the pride of the program, but let’s be accurate with our criticism. 

Edited by madcat11

1 hour ago, PinFallRecruit said:

Not quite true. Unless he has met one of the following criteria, he is still a prospective student athlete:

(a) The individual officially registers and enrolls in a minimum full-time program of studies and attends classes in any term of a four-year collegiate institution’s regular academic year (excluding summer);

(b) The individual participates in a regular squad practice or competition at a four-year collegiate institution that occurs before the beginning of any term;

(c) The individual participates in required summer athletic activities before his or her initial full-time enrollment at the certifying institution;

(d) The individual officially registers, enrolls and attends classes during the certifying institution’s summer term prior to his or her initial full-time enrollment at the certifying institution; or

(e) The individual reports to an institutional orientation session that is open to all incoming students within 14 calendar days prior to the opening day of classes of a regular academic year term

I haven't seen anything that shows he has, so he still has to abide by the recruiting rules.

He isn't a student in high school anymore and college classes have started. 

17 hours ago, TripNSweep said:

He's really going to struggle.  I don't know why everybody is hyping him up so much.  He has potential to be good, but keep in mind he was having very close matches with Arizona high school kids.  If it were PA or some other powerhouse state that would be different, but let's face it, AZ is maybe a top 20 state and that's being pretty generous IMO.  He's going to find college wrestling a lot tougher than blowing out high school kids he's 7 years older than.  His best win in high school was against a D2 commit who as much as I liked him as a wrestler, is a pretty median D2 recruit.  Also it's going to be a challenge for him academically.  So I wouldn't bank on Ohio State, or wherever he does end up, counting on him to produce anything right away or maybe ever.  

Did he beat one of the wrestlers you coached? You sound super upset about this. 

19 hours ago, LemonPie said:

I honestly don't think he's an elite prospect. 

Nothing to do with my opinion of Echemendia, however.  Echemendia will likely be awesome.  Not a horrible trade if Ohio RTC lands J'Den.  Snyder/Kerk for Cox/Ech

Is there actually talk from J'Dens corner about going to the Ohio RTC?  I'm genuinely asking.  Its hard for me to see him leaving KJ right now. 

18 hours ago, 1032004 said:

wish him luck, but can we stop pretending that God cares about wrestling commitments?

God Cares - because he is still pissed he couldn't beat Jacob fair and square. Sounds a lot like a Squawkeye, doesn't he?

50 minutes ago, scramble said:

Is there actually talk from J'Dens corner about going to the Ohio RTC?  I'm genuinely asking.  Its hard for me to see him leaving KJ right now. 

He said in a Flo interview he ll be training at Ohio state part time, mostly because he doesn’t have any senior level partners at the OTC so he’s not completely leaving KJ

7 hours ago, GeneYus said:

His Twitter account says he was born on September 10, 1999.

Convenient that the cutoff to be eligible is you can't be 19 until after Sept. 1st to be eligible for sports.  Just a lucky break for the school he appeared at which just so happens to be an Arizona power.  No, not suspicious at all.  

9 hours ago, 1032004 said:

BWI must be bummed to learn that Tom Ryan took a page right out of Cael's playbook.

16 minutes ago, wrestlingphish said:

BWI must be bummed to learn that Tom Ryan took a page right out of Cael's playbook.

Ha, well now it seems they've moved on to the "judging by his social media posts, he may be a little full of himself and probably not 'Cael's kind of guy'" argument

2 hours ago, TripNSweep said:

Convenient that the cutoff to be eligible is you can't be 19 until after Sept. 1st to be eligible for sports.  Just a lucky break for the school he appeared at which just so happens to be an Arizona power.  No, not suspicious at all.  

Hmmm, ok I will admit that this is very suspicious.  I looked some statistics up online and approximately 1/12th of people are also born into the month of September.  That makes me wonder what these other people are also hiding.  Why are so many people born in September? I think this necessitates further investigation.  

2 hours ago, TripNSweep said:

I hope you realize that there are actually kids whose birthdays are on September 2?

3 hours ago, gimpeltf said:

I hope you realize that there are actually kids whose birthdays are on September 2?

It just seems to be a little peculiar that this Cuban junior national champion who nobody heard of before somehow arrives in the US with a birthdate that is 9 days before the cutoff and it just so happens his guardian is a coach at a powerhouse high school 2 states away from where he entered the US.  It is just all a little too conicidental to me.  I read his description of coming here and honestly it sounds like he really went for it by coming here to do better for himself.  I just think it's crappy that he was manipulated by people into coming here and getting what I feel is bad advice over shaving 4 years off his age.  I've heard that school he went to hired a foreign coach with ties to another country's wrestling program this year to keep that going.  If he just showed up and didn't go along with this and was truthful about his age (I don't believe he's 19/20 for a second), then that's fine.  Show up and wrestle at the Open or whatever, make your mark that way.  ASU had a kid who beat guys like Scott and Hazewinkel in freestyle coming out of juco, and nobody knew who he was.  He got a lot of attention from colleges after that.  If it's ever proven that he's really not 19/20, and I'll say I don't believe he is, then I will feel bad for him.  He would have been just fine without having to do that.  

Also I'm willing to bet $50 if he competes for Ohio State this year he does not AA.  If you want to take me up on that message me.  He's going to struggle and if you think he's going to come anywhere near that level let alone being an NCAA champion then I've got some nice beach front property to sell you near Albuquerque.  

20 hours ago, madcat11 said:

Tomasello was fantastic at getting out.  I guess Spencer Lee rode him a bit and stuck him in a scramble...  And I think you mean micah Jordan as Bo didn’t really struggle from bottom.  Maybe Dan Lewis and Mark Hall rode him?  Pretty high standard there as well.

Fair point that the bottom position isn’t exactly the pride of the program, but let’s be accurate with our criticism. 

I wanted to respond to this but didn't.  I know some people hate tOSU because they're good but I never understood why people go out of their way to take potshots at specific guys.  Bo and Nate both super classy guys.  I will add that Lee rode Tomasello when Nate had a torn ACL.