Housebuye

Anthony Echemedia Commits to Ohio State

11 hours ago, TripNSweep said:

Also I'm willing to bet $50 if he competes for Ohio State this year he does not AA.  If you want to take me up on that message me.  He's going to struggle and if you think he's going to come anywhere near that level let alone being an NCAA champion then I've got some nice beach front property to sell you near Albuquerque.  

The fact that you’re hoping this kid fails is sad and honestly disgusting. Grow up

4 hours ago, CoachWrestling said:

The fact that you’re hoping this kid fails is sad and honestly disgusting. Grow up

I don't hope he fails.  I think it's ridiculous to think he's at that level of being an NCAA champion or AA when he was struggling to beat the top kids in a marginal wrestling state.  He is going to struggle mightily against most anyone in college because he doesn't fully understand the rules.  He wrestled at RMN and seemed baffled that he wasn't awarded points for taking somebody feet to back but not keeping control.  Literally held up his hands at the ref and his coaches until they yelled that it wasn't freestyle.  Great athlete and all, but his advantages he holds over high school kids aren't going to carry him that far in college.  

14 minutes ago, TripNSweep said:

I don't hope he fails.  I think it's ridiculous to think he's at that level of being an NCAA champion or AA when he was struggling to beat the top kids in a marginal wrestling state.  He is going to struggle mightily against most anyone in college because he doesn't fully understand the rules.  He wrestled at RMN and seemed baffled that he wasn't awarded points for taking somebody feet to back but not keeping control.  Literally held up his hands at the ref and his coaches until they yelled that it wasn't freestyle.  Great athlete and all, but his advantages he holds over high school kids aren't going to carry him that far in college.  

If he's good on his feet, I think any decent coaching staff can have him just focus on that.  Maybe he won't be great at getting out on bottom, but I imagine he's likely decent at not getting turned.

This year was his first year in the US right?  So while I would've thought he would've figured out the rules by the end of the season, there is still something to be said for this no longer being his first year wrestling folkstyle.

4 hours ago, 1032004 said:

If he's good on his feet, I think any decent coaching staff can have him just focus on that.  Maybe he won't be great at getting out on bottom, but I imagine he's likely decent at not getting turned.

This year was his first year in the US right?  So while I would've thought he would've figured out the rules by the end of the season, there is still something to be said for this no longer being his first year wrestling folkstyle.

He almost lost because of stalling penalties for not doing anything on bottom. Just being good on your feet won't make you immune to other things that come with college wrestling. Ali Naser who wrestled for ASU was/is national level and despite high hopes he never managed to really break out despite wins over Olympians in freestyle. I wouldn't be as critical if he had wrestled in like PA or Ohio or somewhere like that.  Also the physical tools he has aren't going to carry him, since he won't be wrestling kids anymore.  Any partially decent D1 wrestler is going to either beat him or make life very difficult.  I also wonder if he was so good why we never saw him at Cerro Pelado or anything like that.  

Edited by TripNSweep

3 hours ago, Lurker said:

Maybe...not old enough?

See that's the thing though.  There were posts on a local message board from somebody connected with his high school that say he did wrestle at Cerro Pelado.  Obviously they're in the know on such things.  It begs the question though.  

On 11/15/2019 at 11:36 PM, TripNSweep said:

See that's the thing though.  There were posts on a local message board from somebody connected with his high school that say he did wrestle at Cerro Pelado.  Obviously they're in the know on such things.  It begs the question though.  

I was being a smart ass. 

On 11/15/2019 at 7:54 PM, TripNSweep said:

He almost lost because of stalling penalties for not doing anything on bottom. Just being good on your feet won't make you immune to other things that come with college wrestling. Ali Naser who wrestled for ASU was/is national level and despite high hopes he never managed to really break out despite wins over Olympians in freestyle. I wouldn't be as critical if he had wrestled in like PA or Ohio or somewhere like that.  Also the physical tools he has aren't going to carry him, since he won't be wrestling kids anymore.  Any partially decent D1 wrestler is going to either beat him or make life very difficult.  I also wonder if he was so good why we never saw him at Cerro Pelado or anything like that.  

Perusing through some of his videos from the folk season (which he apparently posts himself), I could see why he wasn’t necessarily on many people’s radar - he often doesn’t have a very good stance and mostly did seem to rely on his speed/strength advantage.  For example:

However, IMO his technique was much better for example in his Fargo final (I haven’t seen WNO), where I believe he beat the guy who was ranked #1 and did so mostly with takedowns (although of course did score some exposure points that wouldn’t be points in folk, and did get taken down twice later in the match).  BTW this match also includes Willie’s commentary questioning his age:

Checking out some of his other videos, I saw quite a few times where he probably should’ve been called for an illegal slam.  For example, this one was one of the times it appears he actually was called for it, yet he posted it as a 7 second “technique” video:

Edit: If he wrestles this season, I think his success will depend on what weight he goes.  Assuming his only chance to crack the lineup this year is 157, I think that would negate some of his strength and it’d probably be tough for him to AA. But I think I saw him say he wanted to go 141, which I assume wouldn’t be until next year, so at 141 he could be pretty dangerous.  But yes, like most freshman, he could still have a few struggles.  But if he learns some more folk techniques it seems he could definitely be pretty good.   Whatever your opinion, it’s definitely an interesting story either way.

Edited by 1032004

Those strength and speed advantages won't work in college too well. Most college wrestlers are strong and fast, so it will be an adjustment.  I saw an interview with him yesterday on YouTube, I was waiting for him to say in Spanish he came here because he couldn't come near maing the Cuban senior world team.  He just kind of ignored the question and said how great America was.  

1 minute ago, TripNSweep said:

Those strength and speed advantages won't work in college too well. Most college wrestlers are strong and fast, so it will be an adjustment.  I saw an interview with him yesterday on YouTube, I was waiting for him to say in Spanish he came here because he couldn't come near maing the Cuban senior world team.  He just kind of ignored the question and said how great America was.  

Isn’t our team better than Cuba (in freestyle at least)?

36 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Isn’t our team better than Cuba (in freestyle at least)?

It depends on the year. Also I think Cuba's system might be a little more politicized than ours, like most communist of former communist countries that sometimes have guys who know no matter what they do they'll never make a world team.  

41 minutes ago, Plasmodium said:

Number one resource being people.  USA has ~330 million, Cuba ~11 million.

Sure but the question was whether it’d be harder to make the team here or in Cuba.   There are plenty of reasons to leave Cuba for the US, I’m guessing the ease of making the national wrestling team isn’t high on the list.

9 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Sure but the question was whether it’d be harder to make the team here or in Cuba.   There are plenty of reasons to leave Cuba for the US, I’m guessing the ease of making the national wrestling team isn’t high on the list.

The question was which team is better, but maybe the question is the same.  Making the team could be hit and miss.  If he has to beat Bonne - well that is one thing.  I'm sure most of the other weights are some other thing.