Sign in to follow this  
russelscout

Would you follow women's college wrestling?

I was just thinking about this. I am sure that it is going to be awhile if we ever see it at the D1 level, but would you actively follow womens wrestling on the college level? Would you get excited about an Iowa vs Psu type dual? 

I believe I would. Of course I am not a great measuring stick for the majority of the wrestling community. Like most of you on this board, I am a super fan. However, I dont think I would see as much of a divide between Mens and Womens wrestling in watchability like many find in basketball. In MMA, I can watch the women fight with the same level of enthusiasm as I can the men. I havent been able to put my finger on what specific difference it is in combat sports that make it that way.

I think one of the reasons it is hard to get behind the womens international wrestling is not because it is an inferior product, but because it does not have the D1 level like the men do. With the men, we have been able to follow them through recruitment to their college career, which is far more popular than international, all the way to pursuing world gold.  With the women, we dont really get that kind of exposure yet.

What does everyone else think? 

Edited by russelscout

I would have to think yes.  I follow all styles of wrestling pretty much to the same extent, but I don't watch much live wrestling.  No flo or track....youtube is my friend.  So I imagine nothing would be different with a D1 women's season.

19 minutes ago, WF89 said:

Because I’m not entertained by women’s athletics?

Ahh nice; more words than one. I'm sorry. I guess I thought when I ask what people think they would be thinking in more words then one. Lets be honest though. You jumped at the oppurtunity to be snarky and try to get some reactions. I'm not offended, just wish you would have posted in good faith.

Edited by russelscout

16 minutes ago, Lurker said:

I would have to think yes.  I follow all styles of wrestling pretty much to the same extent, but I don't watch much live wrestling.  No flo or track....youtube is my friend.  So I imagine nothing would be different with a D1 women's season.

Do you follow only US wrestlers? When the big international tournaments come, do you know most of the women in a bracket or just the Americans and a few Japanese wrestlers? Thats kind of the way I am.

3 minutes ago, russelscout said:

Ahh nice; more words than one. I'm sorry. I guess I thought when I ask what people think they would be thinking in more words then one. Lets be honest though. You jumped at the oppurtunity to be snarky and try to get some reactions. I'm not offended, just wish you would have posted in good faith.

Well your post did ask a yes/no question lol

for me I would say yes mainly due to having friends with daughters who are wrestling, which has me keeping tabs on the women’s side a bit more. 

I'd be more apt to watch than follow. Quite honestly, between local and state high school wrestling, and my local college, it's very hard to follow men's NCAA wrestling. (I am always baffled when people discuss international wrestling as if they know the depth chart of the Bulgarian national team. HOW!?!?!)

Even during Olympic years, with only six weight classes, I couldn't name the US competitors by weight.

9 minutes ago, KTG119 said:

for me I would say yes mainly due to having friends with daughters who are wrestling, which has me keeping tabs on the women’s side a bit more.

Ya know, its funny. If you would have asked me back when I was wrestling if I would allow my daughter to wrestle, I would immediately have said no. Of course that was a different time. Now that I am around it, seen local girls take part, and of course see our high level girls compete, I have done a 180 on that. We do have some great role models right now. 

7 minutes ago, russelscout said:

Ya know, its funny. If you would have asked me back when I was wrestling if I would allow my daughter to wrestle, I would immediately have said no. Of course that was a different time. Now that I am around it, seen local girls take part, and of course see our high level girls compete, I have done a 180 on that. We do have some great role models right now. 

That’s funny because when I was growing up no way in hell my dad would let my sister wrestle even tho from when she was like 3 yrs old she was sitting in the stands watching And always loved it and I never questioned it and now 15-20 yrs later I would be absolutely thrilled if my daughter wanted to wrestle. I feel like a lot more people are making that 180 on girls wrestling as time goes by 

I would certainly support it but I have to admit I don't really watch it. I watch other women's sports though like tennis, USWNT, NCAA Women's Bball, Track and Field. Not sure why I never got into wrestling.

8 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

That’s funny because when I was growing up no way in hell my dad would let my sister wrestle even tho from when she was like 3 yrs old she was sitting in the stands watching And always loved it and I never questioned it and now 15-20 yrs later I would be absolutely thrilled if my daughter wanted to wrestle. I feel like a lot more people are making that 180 on girls wrestling as time goes by 

I think it is legitimate fear to have your daughter or son for that matter be an outsider. I don't think that attitude necessarily came from a bad place. But like I said, we have had some pioneers come through who have been great representatives for female wrestling. IMO they are the reason for that change in attitude across the board.

13 minutes ago, russelscout said:

have you ever followed womens college?

Only the more notable teams and there have been women from the area (CBUS) that have went on to wrestle in college and even BJJ.  I coached for years and had girls on my team that went on to wrestle in H.S. and some beyond.  

FWIW, there were two sisters back in the early / mid eighties that wrestled at most of the FS/GR mid-west events. Even when I was wrestling I thought that was pretty cool, guess I still do. 

Yes, if you're a fan of wrestling why wouldn't you? I'd imagine many of the "the quality of wrestling" people out there wouldn't watch, then the sport will take off (which it is) and they'll become invested. Honestly, it would only be a good thing. With women's wrestling growing as one of the fastest sports in the US right now, it would be great to see a new demographic/new group of people get the exposure to wrestling that many of us on here do. 

I know for a fact that many people would watch (not the "get off my lawn" people) as participation continues to rise. Giving our aspiring young women more wrestlers to look up to outside of our World/Olympic team would be great. 

I coach womens wrestling as well as mens.  I do not watch womens wrestling.  The speed, power, technique, and aggression just isnt there.  I often cringe while watching what other people just assume is high level wrestling because of their position on the national/international wrestling.  I dont watch highschool boys either.  I am glad the women are competing though.  When I was at the Olympic Training Center, the women were usually more diligentI will watch womens tennis over mens.  Why?  Because I am entertained by longer rallys that the men dont produce because the power factor severely hampers longer rallys.

I would watch it on TV if there was nothing else on. I don't mean that no other wrestling was on. I mean no other sports, no news, no dramas, no sitcoms and no home shopping. Then I would watch-- assuming  i had no books, magazines or  radio.

1 hour ago, olddirty said:

I often cringe while watching what other people just assume is high level wrestling because of their position on the national/international wrestling.

olddirty, is your main beef with the wrestling in general that other people don't understand it to the level you do? It seems to be a consistent problem for you. I just want to say it is truly an honor to have someone with your kind of knowledge take the time to speak with us plebes about wrestling.

Edited by russelscout

It depends on what you mean by following women’s college wrestling. Even here a lot of ppl, myself included, don’t really keep up with college wrestling outside of just a handful of D1 programs and/or their alma mater. I think women’s college wrestling could get a lot of traction around individual wrestlers with interesting storylines - like a Helen, a Teshya, a Yoshida, a Dhanda, a Khoblova, etc. but in college - and then grow from there, but it seems like a tough ask of fans that watch selectively by habit.