Sign in to follow this  
russelscout

Would you follow women's college wrestling?

Nope for the same reason I do not follow senior level women's wrestling and men's D2 and D3 wrestling.

With limited time in life, I only have time and interest in watching wrestling at the highest level.

I go to PA states almost every year and struggle to stay awake sometimes.

26 minutes ago, GockeS said:

scout, why are you taking this personally... 

you either want feedback or not.

even plebes can tell when wrestling is high level.

Tell that to oledirty bc he just said the opposite, and its not the first time he has said as much. Im not really taking anything personally. Im pointing out a consistent theme in his posts; the ones I have read atleast.

Edited by russelscout

I think I would, particularly if the power programs were to get involved.  That would add an extra layer of intrigue.  It's a little tough to get excited about a Lindenwood / Colorado Mesa dual.  

I follow our women now around trials and at World's, pretty sure I would at least do the same if there was a legitimate D1 scene.  

Why not check out the Women’s Wrestling category on this very forum to get the answer.

Page 1 currently offers 25 posts with 16 posts featuring ZERO replies and 6 posts with only ONE reply. The remaining posts offer low single digit responses too. Even women are disinterested in Womens Wrestling - hahahaha, what a joke! The few replies probably came from the RusselScout types who crave the need to be liked no matter what - even at the expense of the very sport he supposedly loves.

Earlier this year I extended a business trip to California to stay for a few days to watch the California State Wrestling meet. This year they foolishly tried to integrate girls into the program. Whenever it was their turn to wrestle, everyone got up to get food or use the restroom. It was like 80% of the crowd literally got up and left because of disinterest. Yet there are the few girly-boy beta male Foley types with authority in OUR sport responsible for pushing this sickening equal rights crapola.

Let’s face it, as soon the networks start sharing the extremely limited air time to cover these men-wanna-bes, you can kiss men's wrestling goodbye - all thanks to the spineless mousey men who decided to go with the flow rather than stand up and say, no you’re not welcome here, not in OUR sport

For me, I will never watch, support or accept women’s wrestling (same goes for MMA) – EVER.

Edited by Marcus Cisero

25 minutes ago, Marcus Cisero said:

Why not check out the Women’s Wrestling category on this very forum to get the answer.

Page 1 currently offers 25 posts with 16 posts featuring ZERO replies and 6 posts with only ONE reply. The remaining posts offer low single digit responses too.

Well, content for womens college wrestling is almost non existent and any international results get talked about on the international board. 

27 minutes ago, Marcus Cisero said:

Earlier this year I extended a business trip to California to stay for a few days to watch the California State Wrestling meet. This year they foolishly tried to integrate girls into the program. Whenever it was their turn to wrestle, everyone got up to get food or use the restroom. It was like 80% of the crowd literally got up and left because of disinterest. Yet there are the few girly-boy beta males Foley types with authority in OUR sport responsible for pushing this sickening equal rights crapola.

80% of how many? Also, what was in the water that made people have to go to the bathroom that often?

You know what I have observed over the years? Anyone who questions other mens masculinity and start throwing beta and alpha around are ussually just pretty insecure with themselves and have no reason to act superior. Do you need to talk about a deeper issue Marcus?

32 minutes ago, Marcus Cisero said:

Let’s face it, as soon the networks start sharing the extremely limited air time to cover these men-wanna-bes, you can kiss mens wrestling goodbye - all thanks to spineless mousey men who decided to go with the flow rather than stand up and say, no you’re not welcome here, not in OUR sport

Some people believe there is value in wrestling that should be shared with everyone regardless of sex. Are women that wrestle men-wanna-bes because traditionally only men have done the sport? Bc there are a lot of things that women do now that only men were allowed to do before. I suppose you are against those things too?

Foley, is that you? Shouldnt you be working on tomorrows PC driven mailbag? 

Give me a break - if you were a family member, I would disown you in a New York minute after reading that @#$%.

Thankfully, there is always the ignore button - now employed!

Edited by Marcus Cisero

3 minutes ago, Marcus Cisero said:

Foley, is that you? Shouldnt you be working on tomorrows mailbag? 

Give me a break - if you were a family member, I would disown you after reading that vomit. 

Sure dude. Im Foley. Who cares?

You would vomit at the suggestion that woman should have wrestling?

Edited by russelscout

I feel like I wouldn’t just because of the fact that I’m not interested in women’s MMA. Nothing against the female competitors but the physical attributes of combat sports are lacking in female athletics. 

Also, couple this with how much time we have to allocate towards following sports. I wouldn’t sacrifice watching men’s wrestling to watch women’s. 

Depends, is it freestyle or folkstyle?  That's actually a big question.  Currently college wrestling is mostly freestyle according to the USA website. 

One big difference between mma and wrestling is this.  Waaaaay back when Tricia Saunders was winning her championships, women's wrestling was very competitive world wide.  When Rhonda Rousey set the world on it's side, she was a bona fide superhero and yet now she's probably not even a top 10 fighter in the mma.  Female Wrestling is more established as far as female martial arts are concerned, but we are seeing truly amazing female athletes rise to the top of mma.  10x world kick boxing champs, etc. and it has advanced more in 10 years than wrestling has in 30.

I would follow it despite the fact that I recognize that the level of competition would not compare to the men's side to start out with.  I watch the women's senior FS quite a bit and the general wrestling quality is quite a bit lower.  That being said when I watch the Japanese women compete the quality is much better and I could see the woman's sport evolving quickly as more athletes are exposed to a high level of coaching and the number of competitors grows.  I do hope that some of the major programs start up women's teams.

Edited by lu1979

I would absolutely watch it, but probably wouldn't follow as closely as I do men's NCAA wrestling/international wrestling.  I think for me it would be a lot like NCAA basketball, where I don't really pay too much attention to it, but when the NCAA tournament comes around I watch.  

Your point about women's international wrestling is a good one though.  I think the direct comparison is Greco, and I think I have watched more women's international wrestling than Greco in the past couple of years because of Gray, Maroulis, etc.  

Edited by Billyhoyle

Something to think about....a lot of the guys we are watching right now at the d1 level and seniors we have watched for years and years.  You get to know these guys, the rivalries, and you start getting excited about the "what ifs"..."what if hes the next 4xer?" "what if hes the next olympic champ?" etc.  If we had coverage of women's wrestling at the middle school/high school level like we do for guys we might get more buy in when they enter college or the senior leve because we would know the wrestlers a lot more.

On 11/14/2019 at 11:02 AM, russelscout said:

Ahh nice; more words than one. I'm sorry. I guess I thought when I ask what people think they would be thinking in more words then one. Lets be honest though. You jumped at the oppurtunity to be snarky and try to get some reactions. I'm not offended, just wish you would have posted in good faith.

He answered your question. Mr. internet tough guy, you are being a huge baby here.  Women’s wrestling is remedial. Wouldn’t watch it.  

18 hours ago, russelscout said:

We'd hate to have anyone challenge your worldview. You could get your feelings hurt. Real snowflake this one.

You are truly the most annoying, douchiest poster here.  Are you like this in real life?

18 hours ago, russelscout said:

Well, content for womens college wrestling is almost non existent and any international results get talked about on the international board. 

80% of how many? Also, what was in the water that made people have to go to the bathroom that often?

You know what I have observed over the years? Anyone who questions other mens masculinity and start throwing beta and alpha around are ussually just pretty insecure with themselves and have no reason to act superior. Do you need to talk about a deeper issue Marcus?

Some people believe there is value in wrestling that should be shared with everyone regardless of sex. Are women that wrestle men-wanna-bes because traditionally only men have done the sport? Bc there are a lot of things that women do now that only men were allowed to do before. I suppose you are against those things too?

Aren’t you throwing around beta and alpha now? You are a walking meme. 

27 minutes ago, Lefty142 said:

He answered your question. Mr. internet tough guy, you are being a huge baby here.  Women’s wrestling is remedial. Wouldn’t watch it.  

Thanks for sharing your opinion. 

25 minutes ago, Lefty142 said:

You are truly the most annoying, douchiest poster here.  Are you like this in real life?

Absolutely. Actually Im probably worse in real life.

24 minutes ago, Lefty142 said:

Aren’t you throwing around beta and alpha now? You are a walking meme. 

I didnt use it towards anyone. I was referencing his post. Pretty big difference. Thats ok though. Conext is hard for some people.

That was pretty opinionated and strongly stated for someone who has only 14 posts. Im sure you are not someone posting on two different accounts so let me be the first to say: Welcome to the forum!

Edited by russelscout

Serious note.  I watched the NJ girls state tournament in AC.  There was good wrestling there, even tho NJ womens wrestling isn't as advanced as TX or CA where they have had it sanctioned much longer.  Like watching a novice tournament, watching two women trading offense in high scoring matches is entertaining.  Moreso than a 1-0 mens college win (When I was in HS, the referees would NOT let you sit on a 1 point lead, yet they allow that in college). 

The first time I saw women's wrestling was at the 1989 World Cup in Toledo.  I had gone there to watch the US battle the Soviets, and when they announced that there was going to be a women's wrestling session between duals, I wasn't sure what to think.  Up till that point, there had been relatively few girl/women wrestlers here and there, and were by far more the exception than the rule.

However, these gals quickly made known to the crowd that they were there to compete, with plenty of action and almost no passivity.  I imagine their coaches impressed on them that this was their opportunity to show the world that they were serious and that they belonged there with all the male competitors.  They succeeded in making a fan out of me that day.

Since then, aside from my years as a high school official, most of my observing women's wrestling has been at the trials or the US Open when I've attended it.  If there's a competitor who I'm familiar with, I'll follow her, although I still attend events primarily to watch the men's competition.  So yes, if my team started a women's program, I'd definitely start watching it, although I'll probably always be first and foremost a fan of the men.

On 11/14/2019 at 1:35 PM, russelscout said:

olddirty, is your main beef with the wrestling in general that other people don't understand it to the level you do? It seems to be a consistent problem for you. I just want to say it is truly an honor to have someone with your kind of knowledge take the time to speak with us plebes about wrestling.

I just see tons of people see someone who is "ranked #12" in the USA and think that they are some elite level wrestler, when in real life, this person has been wrestling for a total of 6 years.  Its the same as the guy who is ranked 3rd in Mississippi at 103lbs and thinking its the same as the kid in California or even something to note.  They just assume if someone is ranked high in womens wrestling, they must be the real deal just like the guys wrestling on TV in the NCAA finals