Sign in to follow this  
russelscout

Would you follow women's college wrestling?

I just see tons of people see someone who is "ranked #12" in the USA and think that they are some elite level wrestler, when in real life, this person has been wrestling for a total of 6 years.  Its the same as the guy who is ranked 3rd in Mississippi at 103lbs and thinking its the same as the kid in California or even something to note.  They just assume if someone is ranked high in womens wrestling, they must be the real deal just like the guys wrestling on TV in the NCAA finals

Got that on the men’s side too when people say they placed fifth in the world but go 0-2 in a tournament.

51 minutes ago, olddirty said:

I just see tons of people see someone who is "ranked #12" in the USA and think that they are some elite level wrestler, when in real life, this person has been wrestling for a total of 6 years.  Its the same as the guy who is ranked 3rd in Mississippi at 103lbs and thinking its the same as the kid in California or even something to note.  They just assume if someone is ranked high in womens wrestling, they must be the real deal just like the guys wrestling on TV in the NCAA finals

I see what you are saying. There is still very little depth in womens wrestling at this point.

On 11/14/2019 at 2:02 PM, russelscout said:

Ahh nice; more words than one. I'm sorry. I guess I thought when I ask what people think they would be thinking in more words then one. Lets be honest though. You jumped at the oppurtunity to be snarky and try to get some reactions. I'm not offended, just wish you would have posted in good faith.

More words were needed? You wanted him to answer with an essay? It seems you attacked because he did not provide the answer you liked. 

4 hours ago, JasonBryant said:

Got that on the men’s side too when people say they placed fifth in the world but go 0-2 in a tournament.

I don't think you could get to the bronze medal match at worlds without actually getting a win.  Maybe some other tournaments that's possible, but not worlds.  

On 11/14/2019 at 6:34 PM, russelscout said:

Sure dude. Im Foley. Who cares?

You would vomit at the suggestion that woman should have wrestling?

I would watch. Wrestling is still wrestling, I’m a fan of all of it. I prefer watching NCAA division 1. But I still enjoy watching youth, high school, freestyle, Greco, etc.at whatever level. I think supporting the sport in general is a good thing, not only supporting the men’s wrestling like Marcus.

I guess it depends on the formatting of programs. 

If there is womens wrestling at say tOSU, NC State...etc. and they are marketed as well, or well enough then sure. A lot of the time youre a fan of an institution. So if your favorite institutions have a womens program and you enjoy the sport, I'm sure you'd follow it at least casually. I would, or at least I'd like to think I would. 

I think one of the main reasons men's freestyle is so popular is because we have followed the participants throughout their college careers. Used to be the same with basketball before all this one and done nonsense.

I equate women's wrestling popularity to men's Greco. I do not know the participants are. At least the woman are actually successful internationally.

Not the hugest fan of women's wrestling but there is no doubt they appear to be wrestling's savior going forward.

I would follow.   Wrestling (Collegiate or Freestyle) is my favorite sport to watch and would watch a women's match over almost any any sport.  Greco not so much.

The more US women wrestling is out there, the easier it is to follow and became a fan of the individual wrestlers.

Foley,

i would support it, but honestly won't watch it until the product is equal on the ncaa lvl.  i also dont watch international/freestyle much.

we're not suppressing women and we're not anti woman.  some people just like to watch different things.  kind of silly to start a thread when you cannot respect other peoples viewpoints

On 11/14/2019 at 1:02 PM, russelscout said:

Ahh nice; more words than one. I'm sorry. I guess I thought when I ask what people think they would be thinking in more words then one. Lets be honest though. You jumped at the oppurtunity to be snarky and try to get some reactions. I'm not offended, just wish you would have posted in good faith.

Get over yourself