Sign in to follow this  
Jimmy Cinnabon

Most religious D1 wrestling program?

34 minutes ago, dmm53 said:

For those with interest, here's an article on so-called "Sportianity" (the combination of sports with Christianity) that has arguably emerged in wrestling and other areas:

https://athletesinaction.org/underreview/10-dangers-of-sportianity#.Xc31iTJKiqA

I always have liked Frank DeFord (RIP).  Did not know of this, thanks for the link! 

dmm being the good atheist making sure to inject the idea that Christianity is dangerous. 

Atheists can never be content to just not believe in God, they always have to put down others belief that God is real. That aspect of atheism IS bigotry.

13 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

dmm being the good atheist making sure to inject the idea that Christianity is dangerous. 

Atheists can never be content to just not believe in God, they always have to put down others belief that God is real. That aspect of atheism IS bigotry.

Some atheists are like that, but it is not an aspect of atheism. Many Christians prosthelytize incessantly.  They claim it IS part of their faith.  Some tolerance to accommodate that personally is reasonable.  However, religion is dangerous.  Without vigilance, the religious majority will always attempt to impose their faith on the minority.  By force if necessary.

25 minutes ago, Plasmodium said:

Some atheists are like that, but it is not an aspect of atheism. Many Christians prosthelytize incessantly.  They claim it IS part of their faith.  Some tolerance to accommodate that personally is reasonable.  However, religion is dangerous.  Without vigilance, the religious majority will always attempt to impose their faith on the minority.  By force if necessary.

^^^^^ 100% agree.  ^^^^^

42 minutes ago, Plasmodium said:

Christianity isn't dangerous, but some Christians are dangerous. The same goes with any religion. It isn't the religion that is dangerous, it is what a minority of religious people turn it to that is dangerous.

And many have tried to wipe out religion by force and by fiat as well. Everywhere Communism goes the Church gets destroyed because it is deemed dangerous. Atheists deem it dangerous as well, and they have this commonality with Communists.

11 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

Christianity isn't dangerous, but some Christians are dangerous. The same goes with any religion. It isn't the religion that is dangerous, it is what a minority of religious people turn it to that is dangerous.

And many have tried to wipe out religion by force and by fiat as well. Everywhere Communism goes the Church gets destroyed because it is deemed dangerous. Atheists deem it dangerous as well, and they have this commonality with Communists.

That is true - I'll paraphrase Ghandi:  I love your Christ, it is the Christians I can do without.   They are so unlike Christ.

1 hour ago, TBar1977 said:

That is a bigoted statement.

31 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

Are you incapable of logic and reason, or are you purposefully hypocritical?  

wrestling/religion/atheism....takes me back to this post from the late MorrisJohnson:

My favorite Rick Sanders story was told to me by my 1st college coach, Buck Deadrich. Apparently Rick was wrestling in the finals of the AAU nationals, which were being held in Stillwater (I think, perhaps Edmund,OK) back in the late 60's or early 70's. Buck said that back then, Oklahoma was "the last and tightest notch in the bible belt" and people who looked like Sanders - long hair, shaggy beard, peace button on his jacket, etc, were not fully "appreciated" in OK. Anyway, Rick's opponent in the finals was the great Gene Davis, who was both an OK St. alumn as well as a clean-cut member of the tough Athletes in Action-Campus Crusade for Christ wrestling club. Clearly Gene was coming in as the fan favorite. When it was time for their match, Davis walked out into the spot-light, and the PA annoucer said something to the effect of "Now wrestling in the 114 lb final, wrestling for the Lord- Mr. Gene Davis!" while the crowd cheered long and loud. As the noise died down a bit, but before the PA annoucer could say anything else, Sanders ran out onto the mat, droped to his knees and shouted "...AND WRESTLING FOR THE DEVIL..RICK SANDERS!!!" Buck said there was a slight, stunned pause, before the crowd rained booo's down on Sanders, who promptly pinned Davis in the 1st period!

thread link 

1 hour ago, TBar1977 said:

People can't come back from the dead - it's a biological fact. If they do, they're called zombies and we kill them.

16 hours ago, nhs67 said:

Posts like this are why they need to ban Jimmy's IP.

Bigotry should not be tolerated, and this sort of post in an obvious attempt at it.

didn't realize you could be a fan of the sport of wrestling and such a soy boy at the same time?

1 hour ago, Plasmodium said:

This.  

1 hour ago, Plasmodium said:

I would agree this is true in many countries but disagree about the use of force in the USA.  I see more  evidence of anti religious push than I do the religious push.

4 minutes ago, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

This board has shown 1,000 times over that we're incapable of having religious/political discussions without the conversation devolving into a complete dumpster fire.  Why are we still having these?

Because you people refuse to reckon life and the world the same way I do,  :)

30 minutes ago, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

This board has shown 1,000 times over that we're incapable of having religious/political discussions without the conversation devolving into a complete dumpster fire.  Why are we still having these?

Well ya, with that attitude! 

Charlie, this could be the one to prove you wrong.

35 minutes ago, pennsyrules said:

I would agree this is true in many countries but disagree about the use of force in the USA.  I see more  evidence of anti religious push than I do the religious push.

Is there really any push to end religion in America? I think everyone agrees on someones right to be religious. The anti-religious push is to stop legislating religious ideas when the majority disagree and to keep religion out of schools. I have never heard of someone stopping a person from holding their religious values or from teaching those values to their kids. 

The one that comes up all the time is abortion. The majority of the country want to keep it legal and see it as a federal issue. Yet, christians believe this as an anti-religious position. Who is out there making Catholics have abortions? No one. Its a choice, but christians are trying to make that decision for everyone else and that is the problem.

This one always drives me nuts because christians insist on making it illegal. Illegality has never been shown to stop something from happening. Illegality would just stop legal abortions and create a black market. Yet, they take a stance against strong social safety net which would actually help lower abortion numbers.  

1 hour ago, pennsyrules said:

... I see more  evidence of anti religious push than I do the religious push.

This forum is a good example of this. You have several members who jump on every opportunity to complain about or make fun of other people's religious beliefs and you have members like Jimmy who like to create those opportunities. Yet, rarely if ever do you see anyone promoting their religion here even though there are certainly many members who are religious.

Edited by PABuck

11 minutes ago, PABuck said:

This forum is a good example of this. You have several members who jump on every opportunity to complain about or make fun of other people's religious beliefs and you have members like Jimmy who like to create those opportunities. Yet, rarely if ever do you see anyone promoting their religion here even though there are certainly many members who are religious.

People sharing their disapproval with religion is not an invasion of religious peoples rights. I have the right to be anti-religious in my own beliefs just as you have a right to be pro-religion. 

48 minutes ago, russelscout said:

...I have the right to be anti-religious in my own beliefs j...

No one is denying that..., but, do you really have to share your anti-religious beliefs, at every imagined opportunity, ...in a wrestling forum?

Edited by PABuck

Just now, PABuck said:

No one is denying that..., but, do you really have to share your anti-religious beliefs at every imagined opportunity, ...in a wrestling forum?

Like the "imagined opportunity" of a thread about religious college wrestling teams?

9 minutes ago, PABuck said:

No one is denying that..., but, do you really have to share your anti-religious beliefs, at every imagined opportunity, ...in a wrestling forum?

Do our coaches and athletes need to express those beliefs publicly every opportunity? 

25 minutes ago, jchapman said:

Like the "imagined opportunity" of a thread about religious college wrestling teams?

i did mention that Jimmy likes to create these opportunities, but often, just the mention of a certain coaches or wrestlers name is enough to get some of you guys going...