Sign in to follow this  
RecHall

Jimmy Lawson

Quit in that match against Apland. Waiving his finger for injury when Apland took him to his back. I'm the biggest PSU guy you can find, but he was drained. Completely quit.

We said the same thing here. Maybe he didn't deserve the spot.

Sad part is it looked like he could have taken apland down anytime he wanted if he had any lungs.

Can't remember, was there a wrestle off between he and Gingrich or was he just the guy Cael decided was the best option?

Gingrich quit @ Iowa so Lawson was given the spot.

Maybe these guys are having an effect on each other.... a negative one.

Quit in that match against Apland. Waiving his finger for injury when Apland took him to his back. I'm the biggest PSU guy you can find, but he was drained. Completely quit.

We said the same thing here. Maybe he didn't deserve the spot.

Sad part is it looked like he could have taken apland down anytime he wanted if he had any lungs.

He took Apland down easily when he shot in with that bulldozer double. He attempted it 3 times and nearly got in all 3. The rest of the match he stood up straight. Apland controlled the ties and made him look like a fool on bottom. It's a shame too, if Lawson won that I liked his draw to R12. Had no lungs at the end of the match. Wonder if the moment got to him?

Can't remember, was there a wrestle off between he and Gingrich or was he just the guy Cael decided was the best option?

Ok...thanks for clarifying. Don't want to be too hard but that was a sad display of wrestling..

He took Apland down easily when he shot in with that bulldozer double. He attempted it 3 times and nearly got in all 3. The rest of the match he stood up straight. Apland controlled the ties and made him look like a fool on bottom. It's a shame too, if Lawson won that I liked his draw to R12. Had no lungs at the end of the match. Wonder if the moment got to him?

Yes, especially the bold part.

He had better learn to stand right or he will never accomplish much at this level.

As hard as it is to believe, Gingrich actually looked worse in that Iowa match than Lawson did tonight. I think Lawson has a nice future, did well this year coming back from a layoff. Should have had a better showing at this tournament however.

Gingrich had the better results on the year. He should have been in there. Gingrich owns wins over Adam Chalfant and Mike McClure, two guys who got seeds in this NCAA tournament. That's better than any win Lawson has. Lawson was gone from wrestling for, what 2 years? I know he's got tons of potential, but I think the coaches may have become to enamored with it. A year i nthe room would have done him some good, and I'm pretty sure Gingich could have equaled his production here.

Out of wrestling two years, and you qualify for the NCAA's your first shot?

Lotsa' guys would take it w/o a complaint.

I submit that the Lawson you saw this year is just a peek of what's there.

Whether and to what extent he'll be able to unlock all his physical gifts is the $60,000 question.

But, he's got the ability to go with anyone.

Maybe Cael should go after Tyrel Fortune the DII champ who is now a 2x NJCAA, 1x DII champ. They are transitioning to DI, so will be club level next year, but his clock at D1 maybe over. Rumor is Nebraska-Kearney will get him next year.

In HS, Lawson looked physically dominant, at least on the highlights. But in college, he does not look dominant. He may even be a bit undersized. But you would think PSU accounted for all this when they recruited him.

Also, I saw him at Rutgers and his celebration of a boring OT win was fairly NFL-like in its ridiculousness.

Jimmy will be fine moving forward. His conditioning is excellent but his biggest enemy is himself. Jimmy gets so worked up prior to the match that it drains him. This is even the case at practice. He's so happy where he's at and back on the mat that they'll start practice and his muscles are already tense. Love his excitement and what he's putting into this comeback. If Jimmy were as relaxed as Ruth prior to wrestling, you'd see some special things out of him.

Hindsight would suggest that Gingrich would have been a better choice over Lawson, AND English, who beat Houdashelt 5-2 at the Scuffle may have been a better choice than A. Alton. Both 285 and 149 were very close with Penn State potential starters. The reality is it depends on the opponents and tournament draw as to which one would perform best. Different styles create different outcomes.

Jimmy will be fine moving forward. His conditioning is excellent but his biggest enemy is himself. Jimmy gets so worked up prior to the match that it drains him. This is even the case at practice. He's so happy where he's at and back on the mat that they'll start practice and his muscles are already tense. Love his excitement and what he's putting into this comeback. If Jimmy were as relaxed as Ruth prior to wrestling, you'd see some special things out of him.

I agree with this. I think Jimmy is going to be ok. I was happy the staff went with him over Gingrich for the post season. Need to get Jimmy experience at this stage. You could tell he was drained because he got himself too "up" for the match.

Hindsight would suggest that Gingrich would have been a better choice over Lawson, AND English, who beat Houdashelt 5-2 at the Scuffle may have been a better choice than A. Alton. Both 285 and 149 were very close with Penn State potential starters. The reality is it depends on the opponents and tournament draw as to which one would perform best. Different styles create different outcomes.

PSU is fortunate they have the kind of depth that provides such great second guessing opportunities....a problem most programs would love to have...