Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
HokieHWT

Hot Take: VT at tOSU

Recommended Posts

Interesting in the mat.com writeup, under the highlights they never mentioned the upset of McFadden.  Also, I am impressed with the team Va Tech built.  Team is represented by kids from alot of states and primarily from Va.

Definitely caught Sasso and I dont' see the criticism of Sasso giving up.  Moore did a nice job settling that in.

Edited by pennsyrules

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Big win by Tech. I agree with Gibbons on the broadcast that for the most part the tech guys always seems to be in good positions and keep their hips moving. 

125- I was among many who thought Latona would beat out Prata for this spot. But Joey is wrestling really tough right now. If he can keep adding some offense on his feet he could shock some people this year. He is wrestling really well on top, and getting out easily on bottom in all his matches so far. Needs to continue being aggressive on his feet like he was in the second period.

133-Gerardi is very strong for a 133. Doesn't make many mistakes and wrestles hard. 

141-Tough match for Mitch Moore, but he has wrestled well so far this year. Needs to add more leg attacks on his feet to go with the upper body stuff. Hope he is okay-he looked to land awkwardly on his neck in the first period when he tried to roll through the single from Pletcher.

149-Huge response from Brent Moore who had not looked good early on this season. Hopefully he can build on it.

157-LaPrade and Gerardi are very similar. Big strong kids who are rarely out of position. He has a really nice high crotch.

165-3x AA's sometimes have bad days and DMF had a bad day. Smith is a big strong kid and his handfighting seemed to stymie DMF's offense yesterday. Early this season DMF had shown a lot of ankle picks and singles, yesterday he was more straight-on with double leg attacks (scored on a low single converted to double). The two penalty points-no big deal in my mind. He had the arm with the head for a second but it slipped out-that'll happen. The mat grab was a big blunder considering he ended up losing by a point, but he'll learn and move past it. Missed opportunity in the third period when he was riding Smith tough and had the arm and half and was trying to stack him with it-seemed to rush it and ending up losing hip pressure and Smith was able to stand up. What I loved most was him hugging Cody Hughes after his win-would of been easy to wallow in self-pity after his match but he is a leader and showed it.

174-Big win for Cody Hughes and his confidence. He hadn't wrestled terribly in their first two duals, just couldn't seem to finish any shots-moves. Yesterday he did.

184-Bolen is really good from the underhook. He's so solid in every position.

197-Honestly, Stan did his job yesterday. Couldn't give up a pin and he didn't. This is the weak spot in the Hokies lineup right now (along with 149 and 174 but hopefully they use their wins yesterday to keep improving).

285-Borst struggled to get through Singletary's defense. Like DMF he had been scoring a lot of TD's this year off ankle picks and didn't see any yesterday. Needs to work on getting out on bottom. Still a young kid though and still new to the HWY spot.

All in all-big win on the road for a young VT team. Only 2 seniors in the lineup yesterday and they have some young studs redshirting this year and more on the way next year. Future looks bright.

Sidenote-I am NOT a Ohio State fan. But that facility is sweet. Hopefully more programs are able to add facilities like it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, pennsyrules said:

Interesting in the mat.com writeup, under the highlights they never mentioned the upset of McFadden.  Also, I am impressed with the team Va Tech built.  Team is represented by kids from alot of states and primarily from Va.

Definitely caught Sasso and I dont' see the criticism of Sasso giving up.  Moore did a nice job settling that in.

Yeah anyone who has been caught in that position by a D1 level guy knows Sasso was fighting, but there isn’t much you can really do. That thing was locked up. Moore is also an excellent pinner. That’s his entire game

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, VAtoSC said:

Big win by Tech. I agree with Gibbons on the broadcast that for the most part the tech guys always seems to be in good positions and keep their hips moving. 

125- I was among many who thought Latona would beat out Prata for this spot. But Joey is wrestling really tough right now. If he can keep adding some offense on his feet he could shock some people this year. He is wrestling really well on top, and getting out easily on bottom in all his matches so far. Needs to continue being aggressive on his feet like he was in the second period.

133-Gerardi is very strong for a 133. Doesn't make many mistakes and wrestles hard. 

141-Tough match for Mitch Moore, but he has wrestled well so far this year. Needs to add more leg attacks on his feet to go with the upper body stuff. Hope he is okay-he looked to land awkwardly on his neck in the first period when he tried to roll through the single from Pletcher.

149-Huge response from Brent Moore who had not looked good early on this season. Hopefully he can build on it.

157-LaPrade and Gerardi are very similar. Big strong kids who are rarely out of position. He has a really nice high crotch.

165-3x AA's sometimes have bad days and DMF had a bad day. Smith is a big strong kid and his handfighting seemed to stymie DMF's offense yesterday. Early this season DMF had shown a lot of ankle picks and singles, yesterday he was more straight-on with double leg attacks (scored on a low single converted to double). The two penalty points-no big deal in my mind. He had the arm with the head for a second but it slipped out-that'll happen. The mat grab was a big blunder considering he ended up losing by a point, but he'll learn and move past it. Missed opportunity in the third period when he was riding Smith tough and had the arm and half and was trying to stack him with it-seemed to rush it and ending up losing hip pressure and Smith was able to stand up. What I loved most was him hugging Cody Hughes after his win-would of been easy to wallow in self-pity after his match but he is a leader and showed it.

174-Big win for Cody Hughes and his confidence. He hadn't wrestled terribly in their first two duals, just couldn't seem to finish any shots-moves. Yesterday he did.

184-Bolen is really good from the underhook. He's so solid in every position.

197-Honestly, Stan did his job yesterday. Couldn't give up a pin and he didn't. This is the weak spot in the Hokies lineup right now (along with 149 and 174 but hopefully they use their wins yesterday to keep improving).

285-Borst struggled to get through Singletary's defense. Like DMF he had been scoring a lot of TD's this year off ankle picks and didn't see any yesterday. Needs to work on getting out on bottom. Still a young kid though and still new to the HWY spot.

All in all-big win on the road for a young VT team. Only 2 seniors in the lineup yesterday and they have some young studs redshirting this year and more on the way next year. Future looks bright.

Sidenote-I am NOT a Ohio State fan. But that facility is sweet. Hopefully more programs are able to add facilities like it. 

Good write up. As a tOSU fan:

Prata is solid. I’m glad he didn’t lose the spot. Now VT will have Latona for 4 years. I don’t think Latona is more likely to AA than Prata this year. Prata won’t beat the top 6 but can fight for 7 or 8 

I did not think Geraldi would win. Really good match. Both guys looked good. 
 

Little Moore is fine. Pletcher is on a different level than prior years. 
 

Big Moore deserves big props. He is a big move guy, so I wouldn’t count on him AAing this year,  it who knows. He could knock off a top 8 seed early. His seed will also dramatically improve due to this win, which should set up a better path to AA. 
 

McFadden looked flat. He is very good when he is on. Smith is a dark horse AA threat and I’ve been saying he is going to get a signature win at some point, but I didn’t think he’d beat McFadden. McFadden I don’t think is impacts that much. He is still a mid tier AA threat who will lose to the top couple of guys, but beat everyone else. 

Bolen is very tough. Doubt he can beat Zahid, but would it be that crazy for him to beat anyone else at the weight? I’m not picking him to make the finals, but that is certainly possible. This weight is weird. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Housebuye said:

Good write up. As a tOSU fan:

Prata is solid. I’m glad he didn’t lose the spot. Now VT will have Latona for 4 years. I don’t think Latona is more likely to AA than Prata this year. Prata won’t beat the top 6 but can fight for 7 or 8 

I did not think Geraldi would win. Really good match. Both guys looked good. 
 

Little Moore is fine. Pletcher is on a different level than prior years. 
 

Big Moore deserves big props. He is a big move guy, so I wouldn’t count on him AAing this year,  it who knows. He could knock off a top 8 seed early. His seed will also dramatically improve due to this win, which should set up a better path to AA. 
 

McFadden looked flat. He is very good when he is on. Smith is a dark horse AA threat and I’ve been saying he is going to get a signature win at some point, but I didn’t think he’d beat McFadden. McFadden I don’t think is impacts that much. He is still a mid tier AA threat who will lose to the top couple of guys, but beat everyone else. 

Bolen is very tough. Doubt he can beat Zahid, but would it be that crazy for him to beat anyone else at the weight? I’m not picking him to make the finals, but that is certainly possible. This weight is weird. 

Pletcher does look on a different level this year. Seems much more confident in his shots. Also Mitch Moore is not a small 141 and he looked small next to Pletcher. That cut last year must have been insanely tough. 

Smith is going to be good. He is a big strong 165. 165 is loaded this year even without Mekhi. 

Singletary impressed me as well. He looked much improved from what I saw last year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Housebuye said:

Good write up. As a tOSU fan:

Prata is solid. I’m glad he didn’t lose the spot. Now VT will have Latona for 4 years. I don’t think Latona is more likely to AA than Prata this year. Prata won’t beat the top 6 but can fight for 7 or 8 

I did not think Geraldi would win. Really good match. Both guys looked good. 
 

Little Moore is fine. Pletcher is on a different level than prior years. 
 

Big Moore deserves big props. He is a big move guy, so I wouldn’t count on him AAing this year,  it who knows. He could knock off a top 8 seed early. His seed will also dramatically improve due to this win, which should set up a better path to AA. 
 

McFadden looked flat. He is very good when he is on. Smith is a dark horse AA threat and I’ve been saying he is going to get a signature win at some point, but I didn’t think he’d beat McFadden. McFadden I don’t think is impacts that much. He is still a mid tier AA threat who will lose to the top couple of guys, but beat everyone else. 

Bolen is very tough. Doubt he can beat Zahid, but would it be that crazy for him to beat anyone else at the weight? I’m not picking him to make the finals, but that is certainly possible. This weight is weird. 

Just for reference because it didn’t seem to matter to the Flo guys when they did the pre season but ranking but McFadden is 2-0 in his career against marinelli with a pin and has placed higher at 165 then the bull ever has and he’s also 3-0 against wick with a pin, wick has never scored an offensive point on him  and is 0-1 vs Cenzo, lost 3-1 on a late TD 

yesterdays lose was a tough one but no one should be surprised If McFadden finishes top 3 this year 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...