Eagle26

Seth Gross 2020

I was super impressed by him today. I was in the camp, with many others, that the cut to 57 was way to much and I did not think he would be a factor. Well he proved me wrong and as he continues to adjust to the weight I only think he will look better. After today, I think he has a decent chance to make the Olympic team. Anybody else think he could be our rep?

3 minutes ago, Eagle26 said:

I was super impressed by him today. I was in the camp, with many others, that the cut to 57 was way to much and I did not think he would be a factor. Well he proved me wrong and as he continues to adjust to the weight I only think he will look better. After today, I think he has a decent chance to make the Olympic team. Anybody else think he could be our rep?

No.  Suriano just started and he can take him.  Gilman, fix, Lee will all have something to say about him too.

1 minute ago, treep2000 said:

No.  Suriano just started and he can take him.  Gilman, fix, Lee will all have something to say about him too.

I agree they all can beat him, and it’s a long shot that he beats them all. However, my point is that I think Suriano is pretty much on par with the top 57 guys and Gross just beat him and torched some guys are a close second tier. So he definitely could be in the running. I would have never thought that prior to today 

Well I was very impressed with Seth today, and I was one of those who thought Seth should’ve stayed up at 61. But today it really looked like this cut to 57 didn’t appear to affect his wrestling. But even though that he had a great day, we still have to remember that Fix, Gilman and Lee are all still out there. 

I agree with everyone about the others out there with Gross but I was impressed.  I thought he handled the weight cut well.  What surprised me though was  how well he wrestled coming back from being out last year with his injury. When you consider his injury, the weight cut, and how he wrestled I think he has to be considered a legit threat. 

Right now I think Gross, Fix, and Gilman are the front runners.  Gilman and Fix being the top 2.  I know people keep talking about Lee, but he has been away for a bit.  I think he is the 5th best in that weight Freestyle wise. Behind Suriano.  The thing that really stood out to me today and also at the WTT and final X was that those competing quite a bit internationally are just much more strategy savvy.  

The little things like grounding yourself, re-attacking on the edge to get 1, knowing when to give a step out, etc.  With the exception of Gross, everyone in the finals seemed to be guys who have recent international experience, and I think most of the top 3 would be in that category today would be in that. 

41 minutes ago, NJDan said:

Why is there such a fuss about Gross going down from 133. So did Suriano, Garrett and Tomasello. Daton Fix will do it too if he wants to make the Oly team.

I would say it’s very notable he started his career at 141 and the other three guys you mentioned started as 125s and only spent one year at 133. It’s also been discussed the cut to 133 is tough for him. I wouldn’t think that was the case for the other guys. Fix also has a tough cut to 57kg but is quite a bit shorter and has been around 125 for quite a while. 

47 minutes ago, NJDan said:

Why is there such a fuss about Gross going down from 133. So did Suriano, Garrett and Tomasello. Daton Fix will do it too if he wants to make the Oly team.

Because he looks like a skeleton lol. I agree there are lots of people making tough cuts though. Just sucks there are only six Olympic weights. I think it seems worse for Gross because he is so tall and doesn’t look like he has it to lose

47 minutes ago, Regulator said:

I would say it’s very notable he started his career at 141 and the other three guys you mentioned started as 125s and only spent one year at 133. It’s also been discussed the cut to 133 is tough for him. I wouldn’t think that was the case for the other guys. Fix also has a tough cut to 57kg but is quite a bit shorter and has been around 125 for quite a while. 

good points

3 hours ago, cangemi said:

I think has real shot at winning Trials. Handle cut well. Extremely big for weight.

He does, and I’m amazed that he managed the cut. The single-day format of today’s tournament favors the cut and recovery through finals, though. Maybe less so with a finalX style format, and perhaps less so at Worlds or the Olympics with (I think) a bigger field and two days of weigh-ins. 

I wonder if Seth Gross could wrestle 125 at NCAAs this year. It would be like seeing Matt McD on the mat again.

Gross wrestled great today, but even with this result, I think he'll be seeded behind the 4 guys likely to be competing at 57kg who have made a world team (Fix, Gilman, Graff, and Colon) at OTT.  Lee and Gross would be the next 2.  But yeah, Gross was the 6 seed today and won it.... Certainly possible he could do it again in Happy Valley.

I’m know a Seth Gross believer.  Super impressed by his wrestling and the discipline he must have to get to 125 and still feel good.  Amazing.

His turn of Suriano left his entire entourage (and he has one) dumbfounded.  That crew brings its own entertainment value to venues.  All good!

12 hours ago, treep2000 said:

Suriano just started(he’s been training freestyle since last season). Gross is coming off back surgery and a huge cut. Gross is the only one who scored points in that match. It was a 1-1 criteria match with caution and 1s. Not like Suriano was dominating and he got lucky. Gross scored the points that’s why he won.

Edited by chestcrusher

He looked great, I really expected very little from him, he will be a huge hurdle for most, but I give him like a 10% chance of making the team. 

The person who changed my mind the most was Nashon. I thought it he lost it would be in Nashon fashion some nonsensical 11-13 match with somebody like Gross who is extra scrambly.
But he just got beat soundly 2x, nothing exciting at all.  Disappointing. I don't see anything changing against the top guys. 

Edited by spladle08

I forgot all about Colon and Graff.  If they can manage the cut okay they will be tough as well.  I really like Graff.  Nevertheless, despite the last WTT I think Colon will be the better of the two in the drop.  Graff is successful when his motor is high. It will be hard to keep a high pace with that cut.  Colons defensive style will allow him to conserve match energy.  While I don't think he is the favorite to win, I think he will chest lock some poor soul into space. He will be strong at that weight and his hips are like concrete. 

More than anyone in the country I think he would benefit from working at Cornell with Dake and Yianni. 

8 hours ago, scramble said:

I forgot all about Colon and Graff.  If they can manage the cut okay they will be tough as well.  I really like Graff.  Nevertheless, despite the last WTT I think Colon will be the better of the two in the drop.  Graff is successful when his motor is high. It will be hard to keep a high pace with that cut.  Colons defensive style will allow him to conserve match energy.  While I don't think he is the favorite to win, I think he will chest lock some poor soul into space. He will be strong at that weight and his hips are like concrete. 

More than anyone in the country I think he would benefit from working at Cornell with Dake and Yianni. 

I doubt Cornell would welcome Colon having just urged the return of his rival Garrett.

On 11/16/2019 at 8:15 PM, Eagle26 said:

I agree they all can beat him, and it’s a long shot that he beats them all. However, my point is that I think Suriano is pretty much on par with the top 57 guys and Gross just beat him and torched some guys are a close second tier. So he definitely could be in the running. I would have never thought that prior to today 

I think “in the running” is definitely fair, but it seems it’s pretty wide open and Fix, Gilman, Lee, Suriano, and probably Colon and Graff are all “in the running” too with no clear favorite IMO (especially with Lee’s freestyle absence and continued mystery ailments)

Edited by 1032004