NJDan

Bigger Ringer

I spoke to an OSU guy who told be that Alex Dieringer in at  189 to  stay. Seems pretty amazing that a guy was 165 in college is wrestling at that weight. But i was told he walls around and 195. Also, it did not look like anyone was horsing him around. In fact, he was doing the horsing. Giddyup, Ringer! 

3 hours ago, pamela said:

No different from Taylor, I suppose. 

Taylor's taller with longer limbs. His move to 86kg felt like a possible chance to be even better. He now walks around well over 200 in a weight class suited for his frame. Ringer, in my opinion, already looked slightly fluffier at 79 than at 74. Now even more so. He'll be a tough out, but it's not the same because of the body types.

Well, I would be surprised if Dieringer made the team this year at 86, I mean it could happen, but if DT is healthy and in top form, I would suspect that he would be the guy going to Tokyo at 86 for us.

What I think may happen is that KD goes to 74, either now or in 2021. Leaving the 79 spot open for Dieringer. 

Edited by de4856
Punctuation

Ringer looked good.  Just wish he had a bit more offense.  I say the same of Dake but Dake is better at the sharp shooter strikes.  Watching Ringer vs Myles I kept saying ‘do something!’   And then he finally did.

5 hours ago, de4856 said:

Well I,would be surprised if Dieringer made the team this year at 86, I mean it could happen, but if DT is healthy and in top form, I would suspect that he would be the guy going to Tokyo at 86 for us.

What I think may happen is that KD goes to 74, either now or in 2021. Leaving the 79 spot open for Dieringer. 

So i too am of the mindset that Ringer is unlikely to make the team (no matter how much I love him) but I do think he will roadblock somebody. I don't like his chances against Cox because Cox can negate the brute strength that is Ringer. Could see him giving Nickal or DT fits though. 
Also I still think Cox goes down and Nickal goes up. 
But for this hypothetical I wouldnt be surprised if Ringer beat anyone not named Cox. Although DT is obviously "Favored" in that matchup

3 hours ago, spladle08 said:

So i too am of the mindset that Ringer is unlikely to make the team (no matter how much I love him) but I do think he will roadblock somebody. I don't like his chances against Cox because Cox can negate the brute strength that is Ringer. Could see him giving Nickal or DT fits though. 
Also I still think Cox goes down and Nickal goes up. 
But for this hypothetical I wouldnt be surprised if Ringer beat anyone not named Cox. Although DT is obviously "Favored" in that matchup

I like the Nickal matchup. Fun one for sure. Not confident in either, but when in doubt pick  Cael

Dake won a title at 141 in 2010 and wrestled 86kg in 2016.

Ringer was recruited to wrestle 149 and spent his first 3 seasons at 157. I remember hearing stories/talk that Ringer and Crutchmer walked around 200 in the offseason while at OKST. It's also no secret that OKST is notorious for weight cutting.

15 hours ago, tbert said:

For the first time, i thot ringer looked undersized.   

I think others' comparisons to Dake's foray into 86kg is a good one. Neither guy has the frame to fit the weight perfectly and Ringer will be the less explosive athlete at times--potentially losing some matches to lesser opponents internationally because of it.  Dake was fantastic at 86kg, but he was a clear step down from his 79 or 74kg best. I think Ringer's drop-off will be similar. World class, maybe even a medal contender if he were our rep because of injuries--but very little chance to unseat Taylor or to beat Cox or Nickal if it comes to it.

11 hours ago, maligned said:

I think others' comparisons to Dake's foray into 86kg is a good one. Neither guy has the frame to fit the weight perfectly and Ringer will be the less explosive athlete at times--potentially losing some matches to lesser opponents internationally because of it.  Dake was fantastic at 86kg, but he was a clear step down from his 79 or 74kg best. I think Ringer's drop-off will be similar. World class, maybe even a medal contender if he were our rep because of injuries--but very little chance to unseat Taylor or to beat Cox or Nickal if it comes to it.

He is absolutely in it against Nickal.

Tier 1 is absolutely Cox(if he goes here) and Taylor. Tier 2 is absolutely Ringer and Nickal(if he goes here).

Tier 3 is the next slew of guys who all cannot break through and beat a Tier 1 but can keep it competitive against Tier 2, such as Downey, Heflin, Martin, Brooks, Jackson, Dudley, Zahid, etc.

Now Ringer has qualified. He can focus on getting better, bigger, and more acclimated to the weight, while getting his endurance back to an elite level(it did seem off to me).

I would love to see him at the US Open, however I expect him to focus on peaking for the OTT.

He will give Cox and/or Taylor everything they can handle. I only expect Bo to be able to hang with him of the rest of the field come OTT.

1 hour ago, nhs67 said:

He will give Cox and/or Taylor everything they can handle. I only expect Bo to be able to hang with him of the rest of the field come OTT.

I agree with most of what you wrote until this point. He reminds me of a bigger Imart. Very, very good, elite even. But predictable. It is not hard to game plan against him if you are good enough to neutralize his brute strength (few are). Cox has a conservative style, so I expect a match with him to be close, but the outcome will never be in doubt (similar to Cox vs. Nickal and Dake vs. Ringer last season). DT is a mystery due to his injury and extended layoff. But I remember a peak DT crushing Andrew Howe, another physical beast with elite but limited offense, and if DT is fully healthy and well-conditioned, I expect a similar result.

12 minutes ago, wrestlingnerd said:

I agree with most of what you wrote until this point. He reminds me of a bigger Imart. Very, very good, elite even. But predictable. It is not hard to game plan against him if you are good enough to neutralize his brute strength (few are). Cox has a conservative style, so I expect a match with him to be close, but the outcome will never be in doubt (similar to Cox vs. Nickal and Dake vs. Ringer last season). DT is a mystery due to his injury and extended layoff. But I remember a peak DT crushing Andrew Howe, another physical beast with elite but limited offense, and if DT is fully healthy and well-conditioned, I expect a similar result.

Fare points.

I don't think the outcome will necessarily be in doubt, either, however I think right now it will require an insane athletic instinctual reaction to catch him out of place. I don't think Taylor will be able to do that, and as you said-Cox is conservative.

He's Top 4 at 86kg, that's pretty much now a fact.  

Given this, my views are:

* Ringer vs. Bo Nickal - Nickal can big brother anyone not named Cox (it seems).  Given this, I do NOT like Ringer's chances at 86kg vs. a Bo Nickal at his prime weight and with his style.  That freakish strength and length is incredible, and he could simply crotch lift multiple times for a tech with Ringer hanging on for dear life. 

* Ringer vs. Cox - Cox has proven that he is in the P4P best in the world discussion.  It may be an unnecessarily close match, given Cox's conservative style.  If he chooses to "get after it", it could get ugly in favor of Cox.  

* Ringer vs. DT - this is a "tale of two persons".  Pre-Injury DT and what we will see as Post-Injury DT.  Ringer vs. Pre-Injury DT, you know, the one that beat Yazdani, multiple times, is no contest.  First period is close.  2nd period DT pulls away.  I see a possible tech given that version of DT.  Now... post-injury DT may be more of a toss-up.  None of us know how this version of DT will show.  So, your guess is as good as mine.  If I were a betting man (and I'm not), I'd take DT in a controlled, ~5-2 type of match.