cangemi

Make your Olympic team picks

58 minutes ago, wrestlingnerd said:

Re: Dake vs. Burroughs, I don't think Dake has changed that much, maybe improved a bit and added more tools to his already diverse toolkit. But I do think JB has changed for the worse. That's what makes the matchup particularly intriguing (as if it wasn't intriguing in the past). A confluence of little things could make the difference between those two, who are closer than most JB fans want to admit. It's NOT like Dake vs. DT, a series that Dake has always won (not the case with Dake vs. JB). 

It's too hard to call for me right now so I won't even try, but just pointing to what happened in the past and saying it'll happen again just because is short-sighted. New weigh-in rules (JB cuts quite a bit and is getting older), age, poorer results for JB (Imart gave him a damn good run recently, not to speak of the other losses), expanding family, etc. 

If they meet up, it'll be epic.

I agree the past doesn't dictate future results. 
However I also agree neither has changed a considerable amount. 
I just think both will come prepared, and as you said "It'll be epic" 
Lets also not forget Dake is coming down from 2 years at 79kg, so the weight cut may not favor him either. 
I think I saw an interview where he said he planned on doing a ranking series event next month? You know Chamizo hits all of them, I would like to see that match. 

So many picking Yianni.  I will root for Yianni but if I had to bet the farm, I’d go with Zain.  He is damn good.  Styles make matchups.  

I’d love to see Yianni at the Olympics and see what he could do - fingers crossed.  We’ve seen Zain on world stage - would like to see new blood.  But if he wins our spot, I will be pulling hard for him.

57 - wow.  War amongst MANY.  Most open weight.  I just don’t know.

74 - Dake or Burroughs.  Either way I will be equal parts happy and sad.  If had to pick - Dake.

86 - Taylor if healthy.  And damn I hope he is.  If not, Ringer.

97 - Cox or Snyder - (assuming Cox going up).  Wow.  What a matchup.  I’d drive to PSU just to see this best of 3.  I’m leaning Cox but ... really don’t know.

Hvy - Going with Gable.  Hunch.  Gwiz has had his shots, time for the next guy up.

2 minutes ago, wrestlingnerd said:

I really don’t think Dake cuts much for 79 and 74 is easy to make. I think JB cuts more. Don’t see it as a factor for either. 

I disagree that JB hasn’t changed much. He is still elite, but he is not the same guy from even a couple of years ago. We’ll see soon, I suppose. 

I just don't like the idea of 2 last second pushout losses to Sidakov being the demise of JB. He still beats everyone else. And he has elite elite elite wrestlers training to beat specifically him year in and year out. Dropping one of (how many times has he wrestled Imar?) 6, doesn't sway me a ton. 
Agree though I don't "Think" Dake cuts a considerable amount

@nom Bet the farm on Zain? In the h2h I do think he has a little bit of an upper hand. but I also see him losing to JO or The Tank, 50% of the time. 
I had that stance this last worlds and still have it. He is so Metcalf, he is 50/50 with literally every wrestler at the weight in the top 30. He may beat Aliyev one day and lose to Bajrang the next and beat Tobier the next, and get crushed by the kid from Turkey the next, (I cant think of his name but I liked his style) 
I just don't like that "Coin flip" appeal  I see in him. but against Yainni, I think you're right

7 minutes ago, wrestlingnerd said:

I really don’t think Dake cuts much for 79 and 74 is easy to make. I think JB cuts more. Don’t see it as a factor for either. 

I disagree that JB hasn’t changed much. He is still elite, but he is not the same guy from even a couple of years ago. We’ll see soon, I suppose. 

Yes, we’ll probably see. Huge fan of both JB and KD. Little concerned the way Sidakov seemed to have an extra gear to kick up the horsepower and will that last score against JB, who knew it was coming, especially after the 2018 saga.

It’s not just the Sidakov losses. Imart beat him too and he had some wins that were way too close for comfort. Not that JB has always crushed dudes, but his body of work the past year or so is just not as impressive as before that to me. I see less explosion, less gas, i.e. more age. Just calling what I see. I am not saying he’s not the guy next year. It’s too close to call without another look at them in my opinion. 

Edited by wrestlingnerd

Reading through all these predictions and all I can think is what a great time for USA wrestling. Our regional programs are finally at a point where we have multiple guys at weights (74, 86, 97)  that could legitimately medal, and possibly even win gold, if they represent our country. It’s always a great sign when a country gets to a point where they’d like to have more Olympic weights because they have so much elite depth. Imagine if the Olympics added 79 kg and 92 kg weight classes. From 74-97 team USA could send out JB, Dake, Taylor, Cox, Snyder. That’s 5 guys that could realistically have a chance to win a gold medal! And that’s not even thinking about like guys such as Yianni/Retherford, Fix, and Gwiz/Gable who would also have medal aspirations. What an exciting era for us as USA wrestling fans. 

57, Gilman, ( yeah I know ), but I think he gets past Fix this time, and I just don't know about Spencer Lee. ( I think that with Spencer going after his 3rd NCAA title, I'm just not sure what he'll have in the tank afterwards ). The others guys, Graff, Garrett, Suriano, Gross, Mega, Brewer, I think are just too big and the cut is going to hurt them in the long run. 

65, Yianni

74, Dake

86, flip a coin, Taylor or Cox ( it will be a dog fight ). 

97 SnyderMan

125, another coin flip, Gwiz, or Gable. ( See 86, ). 

7 hours ago, de4856 said:

57, Gilman, ( yeah I know ), but I think he gets past Fix this time, and I just don't know about Spencer Lee. ( I think that with Spencer going after his 3rd NCAA title, I'm just not sure what he'll have in the tank afterwards ). The others guys, Graff, Garrett, Suriano, Gross, Mega, Brewer, I think are just too big and the cut is going to hurt them in the long run. 

The cut just has to have worked well for 1 or 2 of them in 1 or 2 matches to throw the whole bracket off. 
This truly feels like 100 levels of toss-up. All the guys coming down are good enough to pull a 1 match miracle, and derail any of the top guys, i just hope a "Consistently competitive" guy wins it that day.
Of the guys mentioned.  (Gillman and Fix  I like maybe just because I've seen them, and Lee we all hope has the super skills but my head says no way)... but of the guys dropping
I don't think Suriano's 1pt win style will be good outside of the USA (The Retherford of this weight)
I'd like to see how Graff looks down a weight but he just always seems to have a brain fart where he gets absolutely destroyed, I don't want that in the Olympics. 
Gross, looks like he could be something to watch, a little concerned about the weight, he did start off super slow, and the 2 day scratch is concerning. His interview made it seem like he had some doubts but then floated like a champ. 
Brewer is Brewer, highlight reel one second, what is he doing? the next, if he is here, he will disrupt for sure. but man he seems big. 
Mega I expect the most consistent results from, of the names dropping, but I do think on some the cut will yield diminished returns. 

23 hours ago, nom said:

So many picking Yianni.  I will root for Yianni but if I had to bet the farm, I’d go with Zain.  He is damn good.  Styles make matchups.  

I’d love to see Yianni at the Olympics and see what he could do - fingers crossed.  We’ve seen Zain on world stage - would like to see new blood.  But if he wins our spot, I will be pulling hard for him.

57 - wow.  War amongst MANY.  Most open weight.  I just don’t know.

74 - Dake or Burroughs.  Either way I will be equal parts happy and sad.  If had to pick - Dake.

86 - Taylor if healthy.  And damn I hope he is.  If not, Ringer.

97 - Cox or Snyder - (assuming Cox going up).  Wow.  What a matchup.  I’d drive to PSU just to see this best of 3.  I’m leaning Cox but ... really don’t know.

Hvy - Going with Gable.  Hunch.  Gwiz has had his shots, time for the next guy up.

This is a point that I think most people are not thinking of currently. 

Cox going down to 86kg... His best of three will be against another that ran the gauntlet.  Also, he'll have some time to rehydrate.

Cox going up to 97kg... Could he beat Snyder?  Sure.  Could he beat Snyder 2 of 3 times, all on the same day?  This best of three seems rough.

42 minutes ago, treep2000 said:

This is a point that I think most people are not thinking of currently. 

Cox going down to 86kg... His best of three will be against another that ran the gauntlet.  Also, he'll have some time to rehydrate.

Cox going up to 97kg... Could he beat Snyder?  Sure.  Could he beat Snyder 2 of 3 times, all on the same day?  This best of three seems rough.

This is a big part of why I think he’ll cut down. He has the style to pull off a big cut. Very, very hard to score on, not much action, but when he initiates it, he usually scores. Perfect for off the scale, minimal required energy expenditure. And with a bye to the semis, he’ll have at least four if not six or even eight hours to rehydrate. That’s a very big deal when you are extremely dehydrated. 

29 minutes ago, wrestlingnerd said:

This is a big part of why I think he’ll cut down. He has the style to pull off a big cut. Very, very hard to score on, not much action, but when he initiates it, he usually scores. Perfect for off the scale, minimal required energy expenditure. And with a bye to the semis, he’ll have at least four if not six or even eight hours to rehydrate. That’s a very big deal when you are extremely dehydrated. 

Yep I think strength/speed are extreme advantages where he is and only get amplified moving down. Moving up he negates the strength aspect. I still think he could win up, but as you stated his style isn't as high paced/exhausting as some,. and I think early round matches have 0 potential to trip him up. 
I also think people tend to gas more attempting significant gain vs significant loss.  It's not like he's a junior high kid attempting to  drop 15lbs, he's an World Level athlete who clearly has a nutrition plan in place to make a move one way or the other effectively. I just think getting used to cutting is easier than getting use t carrying more weight and getting more oxygen to that additional muscle.  Meh who knows. 
Hope to see him down, I predict him looking more like the unbelievable wrestler he can be. 
Selfishly I get sad when wrestlers venture up weight classes and a once explosive guy, lowers his attack rate and action because the heavier weight dictates that. 

Eh well, hope we know within a months time 

Edited by spladle08

Here are my picks:

57 Fix - I think his upside with a year of dedicated training for freestyle will beat out the field.  I can see Gross splitting matches and potentially winning. If Suriano had a coach and real system I would pick him.

65 Zain - probably a pick that would favor being decided in tournaments rather than head to head.  I believe Zain beats Yanni and JO and the field but I think Yanni’s style goes further internationally.

74 Dake - hate to pick against JB but the final x performance against Imar makes me think that if that he performs that way again Dake wins 2-0.  I also think Green going 74 might impact JBs training situation.  

86 Cox - I didn’t research all the results but I just don’t see Taylor as someone that can beat people he loses to.  Too many memories of mistakes against JB, Dake and Cox to overcome.  Obvious exception is if Cox goes 97.

97 Snyder - new singlet = new and improved Snyder.   Kyle beats the field including Cox and Nickal if they are at 97.

125 Gwiz - he has made strides each year and is getting stronger each round.  GS has a way to go as I don’t see him getting to the finals. I think his uncertainty combined with not just going all in will hold him back.  I do think he has the most talent and upside.  

Just now, wrestlingnerd said:

Good comments but why the hate towards NJRTC? They have a good thing going.  

Agree, great things going on there. 
But also, agree, if somebody could convince that guy his offense will work against the top guys, not just the "cans", he would be a terrifying proposition. 
As is though, his style has got him this far, I don't see him changing anything anytime soon. Defense defense defense, either stall out the other guy or wait for a mistake. 

57kg - Fix or Lee -This is the most wide open weight of the lot, so I'll hedge a bit. And this is the matchup we've all been wanting to see again, correct? Arujau could surprise some people in the tournament.

65kg - Yianni - If Zain only has to game plan for him he could take it, but not when he has a full field to take care of first.

74kg - Burroughs -  Every year that he loses a step, he gains more match IQ. Wishful thinking, but hoping to see him down by 1 with 30 seconds left, and finish his domestic career with style

86kg - Cox - If he goes up, I have Taylor. But I think he goes 86kg. Rumour on this board is he's still salty about their last match(and the twitter comments after). At that level you can't take for granted whatever material these guys use for motivation. Remember Michael Jordan brought out the guy who beat him out for the team in HS to his Hall of Fame induction. I'm not saying their mentalities are totally equivalent, just an example. Cox impresses me more and more with every match or interview.

97kg - Snyder - But switch to Cox if he goes up. Would love to see this matchup on the senior level sometime before their careers end though. Beat the Streets 2021?

125kg - Steveson - His time is now

1 hour ago, wrestlingnerd said:

Good comments but why the hate towards NJRTC? They have a good thing going.  

Based on the Ferrell tournament. Didn’t have correct singlets, alternative coaches rotating in the corner.  I don’t know if that is an indictment on Suriano or the NJRTC or both but in either case not a good look. He could rep our country if he has the right system behind him.  

10 hours ago, Scorenomore said:

125 Gwiz - he has made strides each year and is getting stronger each round.  GS has a way to go as I don’t see him getting to the finals. I think his uncertainty combined with not just going all in will hold him back.  I do think he has the most talent and upside.  

You’re aware that Gwiz beat Gable 4-4 & 3-3 at final X, right?  GS has a ways to go, but Gwiz has made strides every year? Ok....

nothing wrong with picking Gwiz, but odd comments