cangemi

Make your Olympic team picks

22 hours ago, simple said:

You’re aware that Gwiz beat Gable 4-4 & 3-3 at final X, right?  GS has a ways to go, but Gwiz has made strides every year? Ok....

nothing wrong with picking Gwiz, but odd comments

Gwiz is 2-time world bronze and GS is NCAA 3rd.  I'm not sure that GS has proven himself on the senior level yet and I think he has some personal headwinds.  I had to go back and watch the matches from final x and then compare to Bill Ferrell.  I stand by my "odd comments."  Gable had nothing for Gwiz in the last minute of each final x match and he didn't impress against Bradley.  So yeah, I think Gwiz is getting better and I don't see Gable improving.  Lost to Cassar 2x and unimpressive win over Bradley.  Without a doubt Gable has more upside, but his inability to go for the whole match is holding him back.

31 minutes ago, Scorenomore said:

Gwiz is 2-time world bronze and GS is NCAA 3rd.  I'm not sure that GS has proven himself on the senior level yet and I think he has some personal headwinds.  I had to go back and watch the matches from final x and then compare to Bill Ferrell.  I stand by my "odd comments."  Gable had nothing for Gwiz in the last minute of each final x match and he didn't impress against Bradley.  So yeah, I think Gwiz is getting better and I don't see Gable improving.  Lost to Cassar 2x and unimpressive win over Bradley.  Without a doubt Gable has more upside, but his inability to go for the whole match is holding him back.

I hope you're just blatantly fishing. 
Child vs Man and it's been razor thin, at he heaviest of weights, where it takes the longest to mature... 
Mind you I am not even a Gable fan, and I was a huge supporter of Gwiz...  but I don't think Gwiz can hold onto the spot this year. 
Yeah yeah to the bronzes but meh, don't act like its Elite vs Beginner, its a coinflip, and Gable has enough time, room, resources for improvement, to be able to change the result of a criteria match. 
Don't be silly. 

On 11/20/2019 at 3:48 PM, Scorenomore said:

Based on the Ferrell tournament. Didn’t have correct singlets, alternative coaches rotating in the corner.  I don’t know if that is an indictment on Suriano or the NJRTC or both but in either case not a good look. He could rep our country if he has the right system behind him.  

Wait so what is the deal here?  Is he not actually part of NJRTC?

Steveson gasses and takes tons of heavyweight lung breaks that are expressed as hesitation/ lack of action during matches against top-flight competition. That's the difference between he and Gwiz at this point - Gwiz has a world-level motor and GS doesn't (yet). You can also look at the Cassar matches last year for further proof of what happens against opponents who move the whole time and wear GS out. Obviously it's much easier said than done to wear down a top-level national team member such as GS.

Edited by bnwtwg
grammar

On 11/20/2019 at 11:06 AM, spladle08 said:

The cut just has to have worked well for 1 or 2 of them in 1 or 2 matches to throw the whole bracket off. 
This truly feels like 100 levels of toss-up. All the guys coming down are good enough to pull a 1 match miracle, and derail any of the top guys, i just hope a "Consistently competitive" guy wins it that day.
Of the guys mentioned.  (Gillman and Fix  I like maybe just because I've seen them, and Lee we all hope has the super skills but my head says no way)... but of the guys dropping
I don't think Suriano's 1pt win style will be good outside of the USA (The Retherford of this weight)
I'd like to see how Graff looks down a weight but he just always seems to have a brain fart where he gets absolutely destroyed, I don't want that in the Olympics. 
Gross, looks like he could be something to watch, a little concerned about the weight, he did start off super slow, and the 2 day scratch is concerning. His interview made it seem like he had some doubts but then floated like a champ. 
Brewer is Brewer, highlight reel one second, what is he doing? the next, if he is here, he will disrupt for sure. but man he seems big. 
Mega I expect the most consistent results from, of the names dropping, but I do think on some the cut will yield diminished returns. 

Agreed.  57 is the one weight with at least 5 legitimate toss-up contenders, and even if someone a tier below wins, it won't be a shock.

Cory Clark didn't even place at Farrell, but could come out of a busted April bracket, and I wouldn't be that surprised.

denken Sie nicht, dass Dake so viel verändert hat, vielleicht ein wenig verbessert und mehr Werkzeuge zu seinem bereits vielfältigen Toolkit hinzugefügt hat. Aber ich denke, JB hat sich zum Schlechteren verändert. Das ist es, was das Matchup besonders faszinierend macht (als ob es in der Vergangenheit nicht faszinierend wäre). Ein Zusammentreffen von Kleinigkeiten könnte den Unterschied zwischen diesen beiden machen, die näher sind, als die meisten JB-Fans zugeben wollen. Es ist NICHT wie Dake vs. DT, eine Serie, die Dake immer gewonnen hat 

7 hours ago, andreank said:

denken Sie nicht, dass Dake so viel verändert hat, vielleicht ein wenig verbessert und mehr Werkzeuge zu seinem bereits vielfältigen Toolkit hinzugefügt hat. Aber ich denke, JB hat sich zum Schlechteren verändert. Das ist es, was das Matchup besonders faszinierend macht (als ob es in der Vergangenheit nicht faszinierend wäre). Ein Zusammentreffen von Kleinigkeiten könnte den Unterschied zwischen diesen beiden machen, die näher sind, als die meisten JB-Fans zugeben wollen. Es ist NICHT wie Dake vs. DT, eine Serie, die Dake immer gewonnen hat 

Gross

7 hours ago, andreank said:

Dake beat Hasanov so now he is better than JB?
Edited by spladle08

I dont doubt the match will be close because it always has been. I doubt the "Tools" everyone keeps saying Dake has added to make himself that much better, when the only tool I'm seeing is moving to literally the most shallow weight class there is. 

8 hours ago, andreank said:

Nicht zustimmen. Dies ist nicht in der Nähe. JB schlägt Dake jedes Mal anders - weil Dake mental nicht mithalten kann.

5 hours ago, spladle08 said:

I dont doubt the match will be close because it always has been. I doubt the "Tools" everyone keeps saying Dake has added to make himself that much better, when the only tool I'm seeing is moving to literally the most shallow weight class there is. 

Dake will not have been wrestling all day before their match. Fresh Dake > JB.

19 hours ago, AZ_wrestling said:

Dake will not have been wrestling all day before their match. Fresh Dake > JB.

Dake will have to wrestle 2 matches the day before.  I think in 2016 he had to wrestle 3 so it's really not that different for him this time.

After all the hype of KD vs Burroughs, wouldn't it be something if some high upside guy like Mehki upset Dake in the challenge tournament?

Edited by rpm002

29 minutes ago, rpm002 said:

Dake will have to wrestle 2 matches the day before.  I think in 2016 he had to wrestle 3 so it's really not that different for him this time.

After all the hype of KD vs Burroughs, wouldn't it be something if some high upside guy like Mehki upset Dake in the challenge tournament?

I wouldn't be surprised if IMar beat Dake.

3 hours ago, rpm002 said:

Day before and same day are entirely different imo.

And Mehki is about the last guy I’d be picking to upset Dake. I think Imar has a solid chance, but if we’re thinking of guys new to the field, give me Nolf or Carr before Mehki. 

I'm a huge Illini stan and big Imar fan, but I think that a guy like Dake who can match his horsepower and then has technique on top of it will always big-brother him. I think it's more likely that Imar takes a match from JB before he beats Dake. Total kryptonite but I hope I'm wrong.

Edited by bnwtwg

Well as far as Lewis being the guy at 74, I think it would be latter than sooner. But obviously as I say that, I begin to think about his tremendous potential and the fact that I have no idea on how fast he can improve. So it could very well be that before any of us really realize it, he’s the guy. 
But then, Lol, I also think about how long does Dake stick around, especially if he wins a gold in Tokyo. And If so, does he stay at 74, or does he go back to 79. And what happens if Lewis starts adding to his frame, does he then go up to 79 as well?  Lots of questions and a lot to look forward to. 

IMar, is In an interesting situation, right now I think he’s our 3rd best guy at 74. Now what will happen come April, who knows, but I believe everyone thinks that it will probably be a showdown between the two titans, ( Dake and Burroughs). So if it’s Dake or JB going to Tokyo, what does IMar do then? And what does the loser of JB and Dake do? I think that either way this has to be JB’s last go round. So I think IMar, barring something unforeseen, is probably going to try and figure out what to do in 2021, and where his best shot will be. On the positive side, one can point to the fact that it took a while for both Dake and Taylor to make a team, and look at them now. 

I'll give it a shot.  I'm gonna start with 74kg.

74kg: JB -- I'm with spladle on this one.  I think people put way to much stock into the few losses JB has.  He has a handful in almost a decade.  Overseas he has a loss to Marable, and a bad loss at Rio .  Outside of that every loss is to a world champ.  Domestically he has a loss to Dake and to Imar, out of like a dozen matches. Dake is a hammer, but I think JB beats him 2/3. As for Sedakov, JB had a meat grinder draw at the last World's and was 1.2 seconds from making the finals. Sidakov barely broke a sweat to the semi's. JB has a bye to the finals for the trials.  I think he has plenty in the tank for 3 matches.  In Tokyo it will be a 16 man bracket.  2 matches then the semis.  I think he is our rep and gets that 6th gold. JB is still elite.  It is crazy to think he isn't.  I also hope he doesn't retire.  I hope he retires the 74kg weight and goes to 79kg for a few more years. 

86kg: J'Den -- I like DT but I just don't see him getting past J'Den.  Same as JB.  J'Den has what 2-3 loses.  All to world champs.  With an injury and layoff taking down a guy like J'Den is a tall order.  Also DT attacks a lot and I think that plays right into J'Dens counter wrestling strength.  J'Den also isn't gonna let DT keep him tied up.  

97Kg: Snyder -- I think we will see an improved Snyder.  The move to PSU was smart IMO, and I'm not partial to PSU.  I do think they will get Snyder to open up more on his offense, and he is in a room with a lot of good scramblers.  I think that will help.  I would possibly take him over J'Den on a bet, but I would take J'Den as a fan. 

125 Kg: Gable -- he almost got past Gwiz last time.  I like Gwiz and will be rooting for him. It will be his last shot I think.  However, Gable is on an upward trajectory and will be the rep.  Nobody else is touching those 2 in freestyle.  Including Cassar or Kerk. Folkstyle, sure.  Freestyle, no. 

57Kg: Fix -- I think there is something to be said for his focus purely on Freestyle over the last 3-years.  While a lot of guys are taking and Oly redshirt, they have been college first, freestyle second.  Fix has been more like Snyder was.  Freestyle first, college second. As talented as the field appears to be, Fix and Gilman are the only one who have been consistently emersed into freestyle the last few years.  They have been successful too.  They are the top 2.  I also think Fix is the only one who can probably medal.  He is still improving. Gross would be the only other one who I think could sneak a medal if he made the team. Primarily because of the unknown factor the international competition would have.  Locally though, he has been scouted so the unknown isn't there. Hence why I don't think he makes the team. 

65Kg: Yianni -- This is a toss-up for me.  I think Zain is solid. While I leaned slightly toward Zain for the world team I am leaning slightly toward Yianni in this one. The last World cycle was so messy I think it is hard to use that as a barometer.   Yianni and Zain were/are so close that I think Yianni's youth and trajectory tips him over the top this cycle.  I don't think anyone else touches them. Including JO and Tank.  I think Zain has separated himself from them. 

On 11/23/2019 at 12:03 PM, Scorenomore said:

I was waiting for the Pico talk!  Love him but the game has passed him by.  I can’t believe he would beat Zain, Yanni, Frank, JO. .. I know he has had some great wins but all the guys in the weight have put a ton of work in and I have to believe that matters. 

How would you say anything has passed him by.  He is still very young and All of his moves that worked before would work now. 

And you do realize he is probably wrestling  every day.  Yeah he is also training in other arts, but he is thinking about making a run, I'm sure he is going to focus a lot more of his training on wrestling. And then probably wrestling full time after his fight in Jan.  

I think his experience and maturity only make him better.