Sign in to follow this  
Scorenomore

When will we know?

Does anyone have a good handle when we will know the weight classes for Cox, Nickal, Green and others?  I would think that all the guys in question will wrestle prior to the trials so would that be our best forecast for who is going where?   Don’t we need to qualify 86?

1 hour ago, Scorenomore said:

Does anyone have a good handle when we will know the weight classes for Cox, Nickal, Green and others?  I would think that all the guys in question will wrestle prior to the trials so would that be our best forecast for who is going where?   Don’t we need to qualify 86?

Green is going 74. He's already said so.

As far as Nickal and Cox? They can choose when they wish to. They don't have to choose until they weigh in.

That's what J'den said in Bader's interview, we'll find out when he steps on the scale. Give Bader credit, he asked J'den at least once and then again at the end.

Maybe Flo should host a J'den Decision show like ESPN did with LeBron.   :D

14 hours ago, Scorenomore said:

But what event are they going to step on the scale at?   I can’t imagine they don’t wrestle until the trials. 

Assuming they skip the trials qualifier in December because they are already qualified then Yasar Dogu is 1/9-1/12, Yarigin is the 1/23-1/26, or Cerro Pelado is 2/9-2/16 are the most likely dates given the timing of the Olympic trails.  

23 minutes ago, Fishbane said:

Assuming they skip the trials qualifier in December because they are already qualified then Yasar Dogu is 1/9-1/12, Yarigin is the 1/23-1/26, or Cerro Pelado is 2/9-2/16 are the most likely dates given the timing of the Olympic trails.  

There is a ranking event 15-18 JAN in Rome. I'm sure quite a few people will be there for that. Dogu and Yarigin is going to be way down because of it. Dogu more so because it is only a few days before.

5 hours ago, PinFallRecruit said:

There is a ranking event 15-18 JAN in Rome. I'm sure quite a few people will be there for that. Dogu and Yarigin is going to be way down because of it. Dogu more so because it is only a few days before.

There are only two rankings series showing on the UWW Calendar, Matteo Pelliconein Rom 1/15-18 and Ziolkowski in Poland 6/4-7.  Obviously the Rome event is the only one before the trials.  Why is the number of ranking series events down so much?  Is it because the continental championships award ranking points?

29 minutes ago, Fishbane said:

There are only two rankings series showing on the UWW Calendar, Matteo Pelliconein Rom 1/15-18 and Ziolkowski in Poland 6/4-7.  Obviously the Rome event is the only one before the trials.  Why is the number of ranking series events down so much?  Is it because the continental championships award ranking points?

I'd assume the slightly compressed schedule since the Olympics are in early August instead of mid-September is a big factor.

The continental tournaments counted for seeding points last year as well. They took out 2 tournaments but added in a qualification tournament. So it's really just 1 less tourney.

There are only 16 wrestlers vs. 30+, so they may not need as many tournaments to separate. I'd also assume that with the Olympic weights only, the wrestlers didn't want to cut the weight that many times. Countries may want to be able to make sure they have the time to determine their teams and not have to worry about multiple ranking events in a few month span. I don't know how/when other countries are doing this.