Sign in to follow this  
TripNSweep

Abounader at Farrell?

He was there wrestling for Lebanon.  I thought he had declared he would no longer wrestle for them because of being forced out of worlds this year.  Did he change his mind?  I don't think he can switch and wrestle for another country, but I might be wrong.  

1 hour ago, TripNSweep said:

He was there wrestling for Lebanon.  I thought he had declared he would no longer wrestle for them because of being forced out of worlds this year.  Did he change his mind?  I don't think he can switch and wrestle for another country, but I might be wrong.  

Without looking it up because I am lazy right now, I believe everyone that represented another country had that listed as their team. Since he hasn’t switched yet, assuming he still is, he was still listed as Lebanon. 

You can switch countries once, see the Russians. Though, I’d be willing to bet it is easier to switch, and you could probably get an extra switch, if you are doing it due to problems with your federation not letting you wrestle another country at a world championship. Not because you just can’t make the team. I’m also guessing he can only switch to a federation that he has citizenship. Not sure if there are other countries he would be eligible besides the US. 

23 minutes ago, PinFallRecruit said:

Without looking it up because I am lazy right now, I believe everyone that represented another country had that listed as their team. Since he hasn’t switched yet, assuming he still is, he was still listed as Lebanon. 

You can switch countries once, see the Russians. Though, I’d be willing to bet it is easier to switch, and you could probably get an extra switch, if you are doing it due to problems with your federation not letting you wrestle another country at a world championship. Not because you just can’t make the team. I’m also guessing he can only switch to a federation that he has citizenship. Not sure if there are other countries he would be eligible besides the US. 

I should have clarified that, since I think he might have repped the US in the past, so he switched to competing for Lebanon, he wouldn't be able to represent another country or switch back to trying to make the US team if I'm not mistaken.  There's some countries that will straight up let you buy citizenship, so if you have a spare 30-100k sitting around you can be a citizen of someplace like Namibia or Dominica.  

34 minutes ago, TripNSweep said:

I should have clarified that, since I think he might have repped the US in the past, so he switched to competing for Lebanon, he wouldn't be able to represent another country or switch back to trying to make the US team if I'm not mistaken.  There's some countries that will straight up let you buy citizenship, so if you have a spare 30-100k sitting around you can be a citizen of someplace like Namibia or Dominica.  

I don’t think he has ever represented the US.

52 minutes ago, PinFallRecruit said:

I don’t think he has ever represented the US.

I thought maybe he did as a junior or something.  I know that UWW might consider it representing the US if he competed at a tournament like Farrell or Schultz as a part of the CKWC.  

5 hours ago, TripNSweep said:

I thought maybe he did as a junior or something.  I know that UWW might consider it representing the US if he competed at a tournament like Farrell or Schultz as a part of the CKWC.  

His wikipedia article says

Domenic Michael Abounader (born March 11, 1995) is an American-born freestyle wrestler. Domestically, Abounader competed at St. Edward High School (Lakewood, Ohio) and the University of Michigan, where he earned All-American honors in 2018 at the later.[2] Internationally, he competes for Lebanon, his father's home country. As a dual citizen, Domenic is eligible to compete for Lebanon since he never wrestled for the United States at the international level. In his first international tournament, he won a silver medal at the 2018 Asian Games, the first medalist for Lebanon in wrestling.[3]

And we all know what Abe Lincoln said about internet posts! 

14 minutes ago, Jim L said:

You might be thinking of Amine who was on a Us team at the Jr Worlds (?)

It made his getting to compete for San Marino, a little more complex.

That must have been who I was thinking of.  I thought Abounader had been on a world junior or cadet team but it was Amine.  

When does your national representation eligibility begin counting?  I thought it was once you competed at the senior level, since someone mentioned that when Micic was deciding who to represent.   But several of you are sighting junior level competition as counting towards the one time change rule.  

16 minutes ago, MadMardigain said:

When does your national representation eligibility begin counting?  I thought it was once you competed at the senior level, since someone mentioned that when Micic was deciding who to represent.   But several of you are sighting junior level competition as counting towards the one time change rule.  

You can switch once per level (cadet, junior, senior)

According to the UWW rule book (https://unitedworldwrestling.org/sites/default/files/2019-09/change_nationality_july_2019_eng.pdf):

If you participate in an official competition of UWW you will represent the the country of your nationality. Your license determines your nationality since it is issued by the nation you are representing.

You are allowed to change your nationality 1x in your entire career no matter age or style. You can't return back your previous nationality.

Each country can receive 1 wrestler per age group (cadet, junior, senior, veteran) per style per year. So up to 12 wrestlers total (Is there a veterans women's division?).

Has to be requested between 1-31 December. Nationality will start on 1Jan, if approved.

So any tournament that will require you to have a license to participate in would require you to pick a nationality starting all the way down at the cadet level.

On 11/18/2019 at 5:05 PM, PinFallRecruit said:

According to the UWW rule book (https://unitedworldwrestling.org/sites/default/files/2019-09/change_nationality_july_2019_eng.pdf):

If you participate in an official competition of UWW you will represent the the country of your nationality. Your license determines your nationality since it is issued by the nation you are representing.

You are allowed to change your nationality 1x in your entire career no matter age or style. You can't return back your previous nationality.

Each country can receive 1 wrestler per age group (cadet, junior, senior, veteran) per style per year. So up to 12 wrestlers total (Is there a veterans women's division?).

Has to be requested between 1-31 December. Nationality will start on 1Jan, if approved.

So any tournament that will require you to have a license to participate in would require you to pick a nationality starting all the way down at the cadet level.

Ah ok I misunderstood. The country can do one by age level, not the wrestler. 

On 11/17/2019 at 10:25 PM, TripNSweep said:

Nigeria. That is the country to go for so those Nigerian Princes who make contact with me to help them get the $30 million in diamonds or Gold could use part of it to fund a wrestler. Those guys are all over the place and for some reason seem to keep asking for my help. If you guys come in and help me pay the piddling amount they need to free up the fortune I'll make sure they fund a few wrestlers for their Olympic and World team.

On 11/18/2019 at 5:05 PM, PinFallRecruit said:

This explains why he would be obligated to compete for Lebanon. 

On 11/25/2019 at 8:00 AM, ptz305 said:

This explains why he would be obligated to compete for Lebanon. 

Not that I agree with Lebanon's stance, but you'd think that his Twitter outburst after worlds would have pissed them off to the point where they didn't allow him to wrestle for Lebanon anymore. It doesn't matter if he wasn't trying to qualify for the Olympics or whatever, they can cancel his UWW license and leave him out of being able to wrestle at tournaments like that if they want.  I'm just surprised that didn't happen.  Maybe he apologized to them?  Maybe he's going back on his Twitter rant and will keep wrestling for them?  That's what was so confusing because he sounded pretty dead set on telling them in no uncertain terms what they can do to themselves.  

19 hours ago, TripNSweep said:

Not that I agree with Lebanon's stance, but you'd think that his Twitter outburst after worlds would have pissed them off to the point where they didn't allow him to wrestle for Lebanon anymore. It doesn't matter if he wasn't trying to qualify for the Olympics or whatever, they can cancel his UWW license and leave him out of being able to wrestle at tournaments like that if they want.  I'm just surprised that didn't happen.  Maybe he apologized to them?  Maybe he's going back on his Twitter rant and will keep wrestling for them?  That's what was so confusing because he sounded pretty dead set on telling them in no uncertain terms what they can do to themselves.  

If they discriminate I am sure that would open the door(s) for him to compete for USA or nm perhaps another country if he has ties to it(Lebanon is tiny after all).

11 hours ago, nhs67 said:

If they discriminate I am sure that would open the door(s) for him to compete for USA or nm perhaps another country if he has ties to it(Lebanon is tiny after all).

I don't think it does.  But then again he has only competed for Lebanon internationally so he would be able to transfer once if I'm not mistaken again.  

22 minutes ago, TripNSweep said:

I don't think it does.  But then again he has only competed for Lebanon internationally so he would be able to transfer once if I'm not mistaken again.  

The UWW has not been kind in voicing their displeasure for the entire situation involving Israel and those countries who refuse to wrestle them.

If Abounader takes a firm stance in alignment with the UWW's you don't think they would sympathize?

1 hour ago, nhs67 said:

The UWW has not been kind in voicing their displeasure for the entire situation involving Israel and those countries who refuse to wrestle them.

If Abounader takes a firm stance in alignment with the UWW's you don't think they would sympathize?

As far as I know there's no provision for taking that stance, even if it does align with what UWW believes.  If that were the case you'd probably see more Iranians defecting.  They could sympathize, but they still have to follow rules.  Also Abounder's "home" country, in this case Lebanon, would have to sign off on him moving to another country to wrestle.  As far as I know he has family and spends some of his time there.  I follow him on IG and he was there for some period of time after worlds visiting family and such.  I always wondered what Lebanon or other countries with similar stances would do in certain sports where you are competing against Israel but not directly like one on one, like in downhill skiing or snowboard racing.  I know those two aren't exactly producing world class winter athletes, though both have and Lebanon had a skier a few years ago who posed naked and caused a stir back in Lebanon over it.