Gopher82

Brandon Eggum and Gopher wrestling

Has anyone else noticed how far Gopher wrestling has fallen since Eggum took over 4 years ago? The current roster is possibly the worst roster the Gophers have had in 30 year's.

The current recruiting is terrible. The top recruit from last season "Devin Winston" is transferring. As coach he is ultimately responsible for his wrestlers actions, so he should take some accountability for the Gable Steveson incident and he was the top assistant coach during the Xanex scandal. Oh and he was the guy that told Lizak to take bottom in the championship match. He should have been fired on the spot for that call. The entire staff should have been let go but wrestling isn't important.

Let's now backup to recruting. Mark Hall, Brady Berge, Taylor Venz, Seth Gross, Daniel Kerkvliet, Patrick Kennedy, Ryan Sokal are all top recruits that have left the state during Eggums time as coach or top assistant coach. 

The Gophers have 2 wrestlers, yes 2 wrestlers that can help win a NCAA championship. Brayton Lee and Gable Steveson if he ever wrestles again for the Gophers. Mitch McKee too but he's graduating this season. 

Here is some former top recruits that have not lived up to the hype since joining the Gophers. Owen Webster, Bobby Steveson, Ryan Thomas, Jake Short, Tommy Thorn, Jake Allar, Nathan Rose and the list goes on and on. Patrick McKee is way overrated as well. 

He did however help secure funds for a new facility that he said was needed for recruiting but that hasn't been shown true yet. The Gophers lost to Rider Friday night. 

They need rid themselves of the nepotism on staff and hire a new outsider. 

Edited by Gopher82

I also forgot to mention "The Guillotine" Minnesota's wrestling forum is censoring and banning posters for posting innocent threads about Eggum and at what point he should be fired or changes should be made.

You can't start a thread on a forum asking about a coach being fired???? Please explain......

I feel your pain. An alternative view is nearly every starter last year finished higher than their seed at NCAAs. For every starter lost, another good kid comes in. Take Russell for example, one of my favorites to watch. Kerkvliet might be coming back. You can’t blame Eggum for the GS situation.

They do seem to have regressed, which is too bad since they provide wildcards to the stack of three that are actually competitive.  I'd like to cheer for them so I wish they'd give me something to cheer about.

Edited by Plasmodium

49 minutes ago, Gopher82 said:

I also forgot to mention "The Guillotine" Minnesota's wrestling forum is censoring and banning posters for posting innocent threads about Eggum and at what point he should be fired or changes should be made.

You can't start a thread on a forum asking about a coach being fired???? Please explain......

This forum bans posts about GS too...don't say the magic words!

1 hour ago, Gopher82 said:

Has anyone else noticed how far Gopher wrestling has fallen since Eggum took over 4 years ago? The current roster is possibly the worst roster the Gophers have had in 30 year's.

The current recruting is terrible. The top recruit from last season "Devin Winston" is transferring. As coach he is ultimately responsible for his wrestlers actions, so he should take some accountability for the Gable Steveson incident and he was the top assistant coach during the Zanex scandal. Oh and he was the guy that told Lizak to take bottom in the championship match. He should have been fired on the spot for that call. The entire staff should have been let go but wrestling isn't important.

Let's now backup to recruting. Mark Hall, Brady Berge, Taylor Venz, Seth Gross, Daniel Kerkvliet, Patrick Kennedy, Ryan Sokal are all top recruits that have left the state during Eggums time as coach or top assistant coach. 

The Gophers have 2 wrestlers, yes 2 wrestlers that can help win a NCAA championship. Brayton Lee and Gable Steveson if he ever wrestles again for the Gophers. Mitch McKee too but he's graduating this season. 

Here is some former top recruits that have not lived up to the hype since joining the Gophers. Owen Webster, Bobby Steveson, Ryan Thomas, Jake Short, Tommy Thorn, Jake Allar, Nathan Rose and the list goes on and on. Patrick McKee is way overrated as well. 

He did however help secure funds for a new facility that he said was needed for recruiting but that hasn't been shown true yet. The Gophers lost to Rider Friday night. 

They need rid themselves of the nepotism on staff and hire a new outsider. 

Multiple posts on the subject in the past few days.

Take note of "Coaches on the Hot Seat" thread. 

I was easily one of the top contributors and they banned me over an innocent fire Eggum thread. Then don't have the balls to email me back after asking why I was banned when the rules on the forum don't state we can't start a thread about the coach. They banned Jammen awhile back for talking about the coaches as well but ultimately reversed the ban.

Edited by Gopher82

8 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

WR? Down!

The Guillotine? Dead to Me!

What site is next? 

Probably this site if I have to deal with you. We all know about you.....

Edited by Gopher82

1 hour ago, Gopher82 said:

I was easily one of the top contributors and they banned me over an innocent fire Eggum thread. Then don't have the balls to email me back after asking why I was banned when the rules on the forum don't state we can't start a thread about the coach. They banned Jammen awhile back for talking about the coaches as well but ultimately reversed the ban.

I feel your pain Gopher82.  I've had multiple top recruits dads tell me they didn't go to Minny because of the Xanax scandal and the failure to open up a nation-wide search for head coach.

5 hours ago, jammen said:

I feel your pain Gopher82.  I've had multiple top recruits dads tell me they didn't go to Minny because of the Xanax scandal and the failure to open up a nation-wide search for head coach.

Eggum seems to be very proud of his recruiting class this season that has 4 top 200 wrestlers but none in the top 50. The Gophers are being out recruited by Wisconson now. Eggum is basically turning the Gophers into what the Badgers used to be. 

Edited by Gopher82

The Gophers we be wise to get Casey Cunningham from Penn State before he leaves for another coaching job. I'd actually be on board with Terry Brands over Egghead. Both are on teams that recruit the best wrestlers. More so the program with recruting but they honestly can't recruit any worse then Minnesota currently is. 

Edited by Gopher82