Gopher82

Brandon Eggum and Gopher wrestling

31 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

Ehhh you haven't been around college athletics very long have you? I'm not throwing a personal potshot when I say that you shouldn't be so naive. Besides, it was only a joke because there was a comment by GS saying "see you soon." He's not going anywhere he just repped the Gopher WC at Farrell.

I admit I was half joking but I 100 percent heard on one of the podcasts i listen too that he wouldn’t be permitted to join another school/team until the legal issues are resolved, something involving an ncaa rule about transferring while being suspended for pending criminal investigations 

I don't know nearly as much about the program as some of the posters.  Most importantly, I don't know if the program has seen a meaningful drop in financial or other relevant commitment from the athletic department in the last few years.  That being said,  my thoughts from outside are:

It's hard to do some of these statistical comparisons.  For instance, Robinson's early years were at a dismal program whereas Eggum's early years were at an established top national power.

It's hard to do many comparisons at all because Eggum is in an unusual position following a legend and also in the aftermath of a strange scandal, complicated even more by the fact that he comes from the program.  On a personal level he seems to be handling things steadily and with class.  

They've had some good results (two NCAA finalists his first year and a strong Big Ten at home last year as well as a tremendous recruit with Steveson).  So Eggum gets credit for avoiding going off a cliff.

At the same time, there have been some key moment head scratchers.  Lizak not wrestling one second of a seven minute NCAA final from top just doesn't add up, regardless of any match-specific arguments one can make.  And Steveson in both Cassar matches looked out-thought (I recognize that this was a young true freshman against a grown man, but Steveson has a lot of high level experience and it was Cassar's first NCAA, too).  Very small sample size and not a clear straight line to a black and white Eggum mistake in any of this but the reality is that high level coaches get judged by these kind of things.

My bottom line would be that given his service to the program, his contributions to Robinson's success, his steady hand in the aftermath of Robinson's firing,  and the fact that they made the choice to hire him as the head coach, I think he should be given a real opportunity to make the program his, including seeing a couple/a few of his recruiting classes through.  But given the tradition of the Gopher program and the strength of the state, this is a team that should at least be in the running for team trophies most years (almost every year?), so it's fair to evaluate him under that team trophy standard at the end of that time.  

1 hour ago, russelscout said:

I didnt read through the whole thread. Im really surprised some are so critical of Eggum. It seems like the last two seasons have been nothing but praise.

You know how it is. Minnesota was a powerhouse in the early 2000's, now they are mediocre in the Big 10. Until Eggum gets them near the top again he's going to get criticized. Steveson might score enough points on his own to put them halfway to top 10 this year, assuming he wrestles at NCAAs.

Edited by TobusRex

4 hours ago, TobusRex said:

Eggum definitely ain't a J Rob. You got to take the bad with the good...he can't coach nearly as well, but he's not a criminal.

There aren't many JayRobs out there...actually none, but you know what I mean.  Jay will go down as one of the top 10 greatest college wrestling  coaches of all time.  He can be replaced but not very easily.  I hope Eggum does well soon.

5 hours ago, TobusRex said:

Eggum definitely ain't a J Rob. You got to take the bad with the good...he can't coach nearly as well, but he's not a criminal.

I like that he is not a criminal. In fact, I pretty much like Eggum as a coach. His start was handicapped by what happened under J rob, so Minnesota fans need to be patient. Rome wasn't built in one day.

On 11/20/2019 at 12:16 PM, drag it said:

It's hard to do some of these statistical comparisons.  For instance, Robinson's early years were at a dismal program whereas Eggum's early years were at an established top national power.

Nonsense.  Wally Johnson's last six years were 70-39-2.  During a time when Gable/JRob were producing Iowa's all-time greatest teams, Wally finished 2,2,3,3,8,4 in the B1G 1981-1986.  He coached the Gopher's all-time win leader (159) in Ed Giese, who was 2x B1G champ & B1G Wrestler of the Year.  Wally also coached one of Minny's all-time greats in Jim Martinez (115-5-1) during that time.  His wrestlers had 5 B1G titles and 5 NCAA titles in that time span, more than any other B1G school (excepting Iowa, of course).

Edited by jammen
grammar

4 hours ago, jammen said:

Nonsense.  Wally Johnson's last six years were 70-39-2.  During a time when Gable/JRob were producing Iowa's all-time greatest teams, Wally finished 2,2,3,3,8,4 in the B1G 1981-1986.  He coached the Gopher's all-time win leader (159) in Ed Giese, who was 2x B1G champ & B1G Wrestler of the Year.  Wally also coached one of Minny's all-time greats in Jim Martinez (115-5-1) during that time.  His wrestlers had 5 B1G titles and 5 NCAA titles that time span, more than any other B1G school (excepting Iowa, of course).

What were B1G and NCAA placings for Martinez? 115-5-1 is pretty freaking awesome.

Greco medalist in '84 right?

38 minutes ago, KTG119 said:

What were B1G and NCAA placings for Martinez? 115-5-1 is pretty freaking awesome.

Greco medalist in '84 right?

1979 134lbs................................................1982 142 lbs

1) Burley......................................................1) Metzger

2) Land.......................................................2) L Zalesky

3) Martinez..................................................3) Martinez

1984 Greco Bronze

Just now, jammen said:

1979 134lbs................................................1982 142 lbs

1) Burley......................................................1) Metzger

2) Land.......................................................2) L Zalesky

3) Martinez..................................................3) Martinez

1984 Greco Bronze

some heavy hitters he placed behind there as well.  

On 11/21/2019 at 10:29 AM, jammen said:

Nonsense.  Wally Johnson's last six years were 70-39-2.  During a time when Gable/JRob were producing Iowa's all-time greatest teams, Wally finished 2,2,3,3,8,4 in the B1G 1981-1986.  He coached the Gopher's all-time win leader (159) in Ed Giese, who was 2x B1G champ & B1G Wrestler of the Year.  Wally also coached one of Minny's all-time greats in Jim Martinez (115-5-1) during that time.  His wrestlers had 5 B1G titles and 5 NCAA titles in that time span, more than any other B1G school (excepting Iowa, of course).

Sorry slow reply, long week and weekend at work.

Thanks for your post and the stats, and I definitely agree that "dismal" was too strong a word and unfair to the prior coach.

Although I think the basic point -- that the program was much, much better established as a national power at the more recent of the two coaching changes -- was reasonable. 

My argument was based on NCAA, not Big Ten, results; the Big Ten wasn't nearly as dominant in the '80s as today, with only one dominant power. 

What's readily available for NCAA team scores on the internet is only the top ten, and Minnesota wasn't in the top ten at all during the '80s before Robinson's first year in 1987.  (Robinson's bio says that Minnesota didn't make the NCAA top 20 in the four years before he started, either, although I can't independently verify that.)  They made the top ten starting his third year, and became a top 4 national power after that.      

Anyway, it's a great program in a great wrestling state and it would be good to see them succeed, particularly since they're hosting NCAAs in the big venue this year.  

4 hours ago, Gopher82 said:

Gophers got manhandled today. More clueless coaching putting Brayton Lee down. 

Gophers won 4 of the 10 matches.  Four other matches (125, 149, 157, 165) were within a point or tied going into the 3rd period.  Jones at 133 got out to a 8-1 lead before getting pinned in the 2nd period.  And the freshman 197 pounder Joles lost a regular decision to a top 10 opponent.

it certainly wasn’t great but hardly evidence to point towards your thought of another epic failure by the head coach.

1 hour ago, WF89 said:

Gophers won 4 of the 10 matches.  Four other matches (125, 149, 157, 165) were within a point or tied going into the 3rd period.  Jones at 133 got out to a 8-1 lead before getting pinned in the 2nd period.  And the freshman 197 pounder Joles lost a regular decision to a top 10 opponent.

it certainly wasn’t great but hardly evidence to point towards your thought of another epic failure by the head coach.

Came here to post almost verbatim the same thing. Winning 4 matches against a team ranked higher than you isn’t exactly a “gotcha” moment against Eggum. If you look at the results you could actually argue that Minnesota as a whole wrestled better than one would expect them to considering some of the matchups. 

13 hours ago, headshuck said:

I think I like freshman Lee learning something about being ridden by a non-conference senior early in the season.

Are you implying that coaching is more about helping a wrestler grow and looking at the big picture? Because that doesn't fit the theme of this thread

On 11/18/2019 at 12:21 PM, Peso said:

JRob is one of the greatest coaches of all time.  He was gigantic in Gable's early success at Iowa, besides taking Minnesota, and winning multiple titles there.  It's a tough job following legends.  Really tough.

See Zalesky and then Brands brothers for confirmation.

mspart

Minnesota used to be a power in the area after Iowa. Recently Wisconsin, Nebraska, and SDSU have been stealing a lot of recruits and the headlines from the area along with a couple kids leaving for the high profile programs. Minnesota is no longer a top 10 team. The loss to Rider wasn't a fluke. Patrick McKee got pummeled by his opponent and Skatzka got turned multiple times.