jerseywrestling

2009 NCAA Champions

2009 NCAA Champions

ncaa-champs-2009.jpg

A look back on the NCAA champions and medalists from 2009!

This class included multiple-time NCAA champions and future Olympians!

NCAA Champions

125 - Troy Nickerson, Cornell
133 - Frank Gomez, Michigan State
141 - J Jaggers, Ohio State
149 - Darrion Caldwell, North Carolina State
157 - Jordan Burroughs, Nebraska
165 - Jarrod King, Edinboro
174 - Steve Luke, Michigan
184 - Jake Herbert, Northwestern
197 - Jake Varner, Iowa State
285 - Mark Ellis, Missouri

Check out all the medalists!

https://www.jerseywrestling.com/ncaa_medalists.php?year=2009

If anyone has the champions picture from another year, you can email it to support@jerseywrestling.com, and it will be added to the website!

===

Like and follow us on Facebook!

http://www.facebook.com/jerseywrestling/

Edited by jerseywrestling

Two things jump out...

10 champions from 10 schools none of which are Iowa or PSU.  Interesting top-end parity.

Maybe the biggest outlier from a program standpoint at the time was probably NC State.  (More so than NW, MSU, or Mizzou, at the time) It doesn't feel nearly as out of place to have NCSU represented among the champions today as it did in 2009.

23 minutes ago, aknipp said:

I was shocked to see an MSU NC.  Is he the last one ?  For all I know he was the last AA from MSU as well.  

Gomez was, and still is, a monster.  He was there at the tail end of the Simmons brothers and the last breaths of MSU wrestling.  Saddest thing of his time there was his RSFR season.  He was ranked top 10ish for most of the season and going into B1G's, which just so happened to be hosted by MSU.  At that time, qualifying for NCAA's was still based on placement slots given to each conference and the coaches of that conference picked the wildcards and you were only eligible if you placed within 1 slot of that last spot.  Sort of like Craig Henning of Wisconsin( a Finalist that didn't qualify the following year, Gomez went 0-2 and BBQ.

MSU literally looked like they partied through the night.  One of the most embarrassing moments I can remember and the start of my truly souring on the program.  Now, 10 years later, I have to give Roger and Chris some credit.  They have really cleaned up what they can, considering how little they get in support from the Athletic Department relative to nearly every other B1G program.  Some top local talent are at least considering going there again and they have improved they roster considerably.  As long as they can stay out of the Maryland and Indiana tier, they are doing much better than Minkel at the end and are close to the ceiling the current limitations will allow.

18 hours ago, jerseywrestling said:

2009 NCAA Champions

ncaa-champs-2009.jpg

A look back on the NCAA champions and medalists from 2009!

This class included multiple-time NCAA champions and future Olympians!

NCAA Champions

125 - Troy Nickerson, Cornell
133 - Frank Gomez, Michigan State
141 - J Jaggers, Ohio State
149 - Darrion Caldwell, North Carolina State
157 - Jordan Burroughs, Nebraska
165 - Jarrod King, Edinboro
174 - Steve Luke, Michigan
184 - Jake Herbert, Northwestern
197 - Jake Varner, Iowa State
285 - Mark Ellis, Missouri

Check out all the medalists!

https://www.jerseywrestling.com/ncaa_medalists.php?year=2009

If anyone has the champions picture from another year, you can email it to support@jerseywrestling.com, and it will be added to the website!

===

Like and follow us on Facebook!

http://www.facebook.com/jerseywrestling/

Fun fact during there freshman year of high school Gomez and Caldwell met in the round of 16 of states..ncaa champ vs ncaa champ in a pre quarter is pretty solid 

35 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Fun fact during there freshman year of high school Gomez and Caldwell met in the round of 16 of states..ncaa champ vs ncaa champ in a pre quarter is pretty solid 

Did Burroughs ever wrestle either of those guys in HS? 

36 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

No he was bigger, Burroughs lost in the state finals his junior year to Frank molinaro though.

Mike grey ended up winning the weight where Caldwell and Gomez met

Burroughs was actually technically in that same 103 bracket also as a freshman, but lost first round of districts.   He talks about it in some of his interviews and such.   He wrestled 112 the next year (2nd in regions, DNP at states), and Caldwell was 119 (Gomez only wrestled in NJ that one year).

2 hours ago, 1032004 said:

Burroughs was actually technically in that same 103 bracket also as a freshman, but lost first round of districts.   He talks about it in some of his interviews and such.   He wrestled 112 the next year (2nd in regions, DNP at states), and Caldwell was 119 (Gomez only wrestled in NJ that one year).

Gomez ended up giving grey his first ( and the think his only 2 high school loses) after he moved to Florida...I knew JB was a qualifier at 112 but did not know he didn’t make it out of districts as a freshman pretty crazy looking back now. Some crazy weight classes from that time in NJ wrestling..I know that 103 bracket also had Conroy who was a few time NQ for Pitt 

6 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Okay.

Where does this team fit in with he current landscape?

It would make a great duel

lee over Nickerson 3-0

gomez over Suriano 3-3 

yianni over Jaggers 6-3 

caldwell over ashnault 9-6 

JB over nolf 12-6 

mehki over king? 12-9 

zahid over Luke 13-12 

herbert over foster 16-13

Varner vs Bo ...have to favor the coach here 19-13 

Cassar over Ellis 19-16 

in my opinion 2009 takes 2019:

1 hour ago, Antitroll2828 said:

lee over Nickerson 3-0

gomez over Suriano 3-3 

yianni over Jaggers 6-3 

JB over nolf 12-6 

mehki over king? 12-9 

zahid over Luke 13-12 

Cassar over Ellis 19-16 

only change I think I'd make is bo over varner.  varner was a master at slowing the match down and controlling action but I don't think he could have stopped Bo for a full 7 minutes.  would have loved to see that match in the room!

also potential bonus points from caldwell and herbert.

28 minutes ago, headache said:

Burroughs had his double going full steam in 2009. Nolf would have no answer for that.

agreed.. its easy to forget because its been a whole decade but burroughs was a monster his senior year.

I’d take Troy over Lee, Troy did make the finals as a true freshman during a time when that wasn’t very common. His career was derailed by the shoulder injury I was honestly a little amazed he was able to win it his junior year as it popped out on him a couple times during the finals

18 minutes ago, NYWRESTLER94 said:

I’d take Troy over Lee, Troy did make the finals as a true freshman during a time when that wasn’t very common. His career was derailed by the shoulder injury I was honestly a little amazed he was able to win it his junior year as it popped out on him a couple times during the finals

You do realize Lee was a true freshman national champion right?

2 hours ago, NYWRESTLER94 said:

Did I say he wasn’t? Lee went on a title run in an era where it’s not uncommon for True freshman to do that while I pointed out when Troy made the finals that was rare.

Its not uncommon because more guys come in ready not because it isnt hard. More talented young guys equal tougher brackets not easier.

Burroughs won the World title his first year out of college.  It all happened for him after his sophomore year.  He found that blast double his junior year, but by his senior year he was a stud pretty untouchable. I think Nolf and JB would have been like Taylor/Dake.  Two absolute titans of the sport.

9 hours ago, Antitroll2828 said:

lee over Nickerson 3-0

gomez over Suriano 3-3 

yianni over Jaggers 6-3 

JB over nolf 12-6 

mehki over king? 12-9 

zahid over Luke 13-12 

Cassar over Ellis 19-16 

that would be a great dual. I think I agree with your picks.   I was going to say Bo over Varner but didn't realize Varner was a 2X champ, 4X finalist (plus of course the Olympic Gold)

Gomez was tough, but I think Suriano is a toss up.  The guy I thought was a monster in that group was Jake Herbert. Man, he used to scare us all the way up in the stands when he did his stare down pacing the mat.