jerseywrestling

2009 NCAA Champions

1 hour ago, russelscout said:

Its not uncommon because more guys come in ready not because it isnt hard. More talented young guys equal tougher brackets not easier.

Misinterpreting what I’m saying. Never said anything about brackets being easy. Yes, more guys come in ready in this era which wasn’t the case before which made it a lot more impressive back than as opposed to now

1 hour ago, 1032004 said:

that would be a great dual. I think I agree with your picks.   I was going to say Bo over Varner but didn't realize Varner was a 2X champ, 4X finalist (plus of course the Olympic Gold)

Yea I could see the Bo Varner and nolf JB matches as toss ups but I gave the Olympic gold medal winners the benefit of the doubt but the more I think of it the more I think nolf would beat junior year Burroughs he wasn’t a world beater yet 

29 minutes ago, Peso said:

Gomez was tough, but I think Suriano is a toss up.  The guy I thought was a monster in that group was Jake Herbert. Man, he used to scare us all the way up in the stands when he did his stare down pacing the mat.

Yea Surianos style most likely makes it a one takedown match against pretty much anyone, Gomez was pretty clutch and I could maybe see him getting some stall calls on suriano too

Burroughs dominance began sometime in his junior year, probably at the time he won the Las Vegas Invitational by beating defending NCAA champion Jordan Leen of Cornell. 

He wasn't too bad as a 19 year old sophomore either - finishing third in a very tough 149 pound field. 

Count me in the camp that also thinks Lee would beat Nickerson, Varner vs. Bo would be a toss-up huge clash of styles, and Lewis beats King 99/100 times but King was the best wrestler in the world that weekend and had a run for the ages. Nolf vs. JB would be epic and to be honest I think Nolf would win in a folkstyle match (who knows he may even run into him in a few months in freestyle a decade later).

23 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

Count me in the camp that also thinks Lee would beat Nickerson, Varner vs. Bo would be a toss-up huge clash of styles, and Lewis beats King 99/100 times but King was the best wrestler in the world that weekend and had a run for the ages. Nolf vs. JB would be epic and to be honest I think Nolf would win in a folkstyle match (who knows he may even run into him in a few months in freestyle a decade later).

King also stalled like crazy and got every call against the true freshman Howe in the finals

157 in 2009 was one of the stronger weights in recent memory.  If memory serves me right there were three undefeated guys going into NCAAS plus returning champ Leen (who I believe was undefeated other than the Burroughs match). I definitely wouldn't count nolf out, but he  suffered from some relatively weak weight classes. Burroughs took 3rd in the toughest weight of all time then won a weight with two returning champs. Obviously senior level Burroughs was on a different level, but I give him the edge as a junior as well

I think it was Burroughs, Poeta, and Leen (who upset Poeta the year before) if I remember correctly. I feel like I'm forgetting another champ or FS stud from that year maybe Gregor Gillespie? I think Paulson had already graduated at that point but it has been many years and beers ago

12 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

I think it was Burroughs, Poeta, and Leen (who upset Poeta the year before) if I remember correctly. I feel like I'm forgetting another champ or FS stud from that year maybe Gregor Gillespie? I think Paulson had already graduated at that point but it has been many years and beers ago

Burroughs beat Gillespie 13-4 in the semis that bracket also had J.P. O’Conner, Adam hall , cyber Sanderson , Jason Welch , Neil erisman, Matt Moley, chase pami and Scott Winston....a lot of AAs, national champs, college coaches 

18 hours ago, Peso said:

Gomez was tough, but I think Suriano is a toss up.  The guy I thought was a monster in that group was Jake Herbert. Man, he used to scare us all the way up in the stands when he did his stare down pacing the mat.

Agreed on Herbert.  I was in St. Louis that year, sitting with a group of Ohio State fans (Herbert wrestled Pucillo in the finals).   When Herbert walked out for the final, tOSU fans were commenting that their guy didn't stand a chance against "that freak", which was meant in the nicest way.  When in top form, Herbert looked like a gorilla with disproportionately long and muscular arms.

Burroughs was untouchable by that point.  There was an interview with Leen that year saying how good guys were getting at figuring out dominate wrestlers due to more scouting/video and, even though Burroughs seemed unstoppable that year, other guys (because Leen would graduate) would eventually figure him out by his senior year.  Those comments didn't age too well.

33 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Burroughs beat Gillespie 13-4 in the semis that bracket also had J.P. O’Conner, Adam hall , cyber Sanderson , Jason Welch , Neil erisman, Matt Moley, chase pami and Scott Winston....a lot of AAs, national champs, college coaches 

and don't forget future Bellator MMA champ Michael Chandler who placed 5th behind JB, Poeta, Leen, and Gillespie. 

On 11/19/2019 at 11:55 AM, Antitroll2828 said:

It would make a great duel

lee over Nickerson 3-0

gomez over Suriano 3-3 

yianni over Jaggers 6-3 

caldwell over ashnault 9-6 

JB over nolf 12-6 

mehki over king? 12-9 

zahid over Luke 13-12 

herbert over foster 16-13

Varner vs Bo ...have to favor the coach here 19-13 

Cassar over Ellis 19-16 

in my opinion 2009 takes 2019:

The only differences I see are that I would take Jags over Yianni and Bo over Varner.  Luke might surprise Zahid, too.  Great defense and kept everything close.

42 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

The only cyber Sanderson is Cael : 159-0, 0 personality.

On 11/19/2019 at 1:57 PM, NYWRESTLER94 said:

I’d take Troy over Lee, Troy did make the finals as a true freshman during a time when that wasn’t very common. His career was derailed by the shoulder injury I was honestly a little amazed he was able to win it his junior year as it popped out on him a couple times during the finals

Troy at this point had no shoulder. His freshman year was the only time we saw a fully healthy Troy Nickerson in college. I have to give Lee the edge in a very close match.

5 hours ago, lost said:

157 in 2009 was one of the stronger weights in recent memory.  If memory serves me right there were three undefeated guys going into NCAAS plus returning champ Leen (who I believe was undefeated other than the Burroughs match). I definitely wouldn't count nolf out, but he  suffered from some relatively weak weight classes. Burroughs took 3rd in the toughest weight of all time then won a weight with two returning champs. Obviously senior level Burroughs was on a different level, but I give him the edge as a junior as well

Calling that 149 lb weight class the best of all time is so ridiculous unless you’re considering what they did after that season.  Most of those studs were underclassmen.  

It was a solid weight class for sure, even that year, but come on.

3 hours ago, Sstern said:

Based on some of the closer matches yianni wrestled last year I thought that him and jaggers would be a toss up but if I picked against yianni the Cornell fans would have rioted 

Luke was tough but zahid is an all timer and the way he smashed Lewis in the semis last year he was at a high level by ncaa 

3 hours ago, TobusRex said:

Still can't believe Mark Ellis won an NCAA title.

He credits Ben askren for it 

13 hours ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Based on some of the closer matches yianni wrestled last year I thought that him and jaggers would be a toss up but if I picked against yianni the Cornell fans would have rioted 

Two things. Yianni had some close matches, but Jaggers had several losses every year. Also I would take McKenna and Eierman over any one in the 2009 season, maybe even Jaggers. There were younger versions of Kellen Russell and Frank Molinaro, but neither were at the level they would be in future years.

On 11/21/2019 at 10:02 AM, russelscout said:

Two things. Yianni had some close matches, but Jaggers had several losses every year. Also I would take McKenna and Eierman over any one in the 2009 season, maybe even Jaggers. There were younger versions of Kellen Russell and Frank Molinaro, but neither were at the level they would be in future years.

Jaggers was known for cutting an EXTREME amount of weight and had a specific regimen to peak at NCAA's.  It worked.  He was a completely different wrestler come NCAA's.  If they are wrestling Saturday night with Jaggers having that much recovery time after weigh-ins, Jaggers gives Yianni ALL he can handle.