Sign in to follow this  
Jimmy Cinnabon

Askren just retired - where should he coach?

1 minute ago, pamela said:

I feel like he might be happier and do more for the sport as some kind of media personality, but idk.

You mean for wrestling or for MMA?  I get the sense people find him annoying in MMA because of his "boring" style according to mainstream MMA fans who don't like 'lay and pray'

2 minutes ago, pamela said:

Maybe both? I don’t follow his MMA stuff but thought fans either found him charismatic or off-putting which might kind of work in a media role.

Askren was a bit of a troll to MMA fans.  Not sure he would be too popular -- maybe a good heel though?

If I had to guess I wouldn’t see Askren wanting to take that on. Financially he’s good and he’s going to continue to have financial opportunities, getting his coaching chops in at home with the RTC. I don’t see him wanting the “handcuffs” that come with being a D1 HC. 

Thats just a guess, but since that’s what all this is that’s where I’d put my money. 

The Funk has tons of money from all his successes plus he has the smarts and personality to match. He also has 3 Askren Academy locations in WI, perhaps he expands? I say he gravitates towards D1 wrestling full time to help out where he can as opposed to MMA. We need him in our corner, not theirs.

Edited by Marcus Cisero

26 minutes ago, jchapman said:

Is Lurker the only one that realizes he is the head coach of the Wisconsin RTC? 

Yeah, maybe the forum doesn't know that he is already the coach at the Badger RTC. Given the upswing occurring at the UW with Bono at the moment, Askren might be strategically located to maximize all of his credentials: no NCAA constraints; freedom to (largely) say/do what he wants; a program to build (although not an NCAA program); etc. Askren and Bono have the opportunity to redefine the traditional paradigm. Sounds kind of "Askren-esque."

9 minutes ago, Boompa said:

So....someone please point out his qualifications as a coach?  

Well, he did serve a year or so as assistant coach at MO...and was a four time finalist as an NCAA competitor...and was on a US Olympic team. He is also part owner of a pretty successful private wrestling academy in WI. Those credentials will get him in most conversations.  While I am not suggesting his creds put him in line to replace Cael, they have the hallmark of a man who has forged a unique path in his career thus far. Kinda sounds like his on-the-mat career. He is a unique creature in the wrestling world.

Edited by npope

1 minute ago, Plasmodium said:

RTC Head Coach

Asst College Coach for many years

Created and runs a large and successful youth/hs club

NCAA Champ

Olympian

Big Name

Can squeeze a watermelon with one arm. 

I like your response better, Plasmodium

30 minutes ago, Plasmodium said:

RTC Head Coach

Asst College Coach for many years

Created and runs a large and successful youth/hs club

NCAA Champ

Olympian

Big Name

Can squeeze a watermelon with one arm. 

He's also a very good Disc Golfer. Took 2nd at the US Amateur Open, and 9th at the Amateur Worlds.  He has an 18 hole disc golf course on his property and recently was visited by the #1 ranked disc golfer in the world. He has talked about going Pro several times. I'd love to see it as I am a disc golfer myself!

11 minutes ago, Ultimatepip said:

He's also a very good Disc Golfer. Took 2nd at the US Amateur Open, and 9th at the Amateur Worlds.  He has an 18 hole disc golf course on his property and recently was visited by the #1 ranked disc golfer in the world. He has talked about going Pro several times. I'd love to see it as I am a disc golfer myself!

Last time I talked with him about the subject - at Fargo a couple summers ago when he sent one of his kids over to me to throw a disc with my foot- he told me he hadn't played in a few years. I hope he does get back into it.

Askren is a very good technician, so any university would want him as an assistant, but I'm not sure he has the mentality to be a head coach.  It doesn't fit with his, "I have an opinion on everything" persona.  I bet he tries to expand his media content and high school wrestling academy business.  

I think he definitely has the background to be a coach, if that's what he wants to do.  I am not sure how much he made fighting but I can't imagine his HS wrestling academies can be that lucrative.  I could be wrong but just not sure you are going to get rich with a wrestling club.  I have seen Olympic medalists struggle to get a gym full of kids when it comes to paying money.  My point is, I think college coaching will be his future and he still is quite young when it comes to his working years.

16 minutes ago, pennsyrules said:

I can't imagine his HS wrestling academies can be that lucrative.  I could be wrong but just not sure you are going to get rich with a wrestling club.

I could also be wrong not being a parent but I'm going to completely disagree and say that these elite wrestling clubs can be very lucrative.