Sign in to follow this  
DFino

Robin Reed: So no one else is at all skeptical?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robin_Reed

"It was widely known that he had the ability to pin every member of the team, and on this occasion he nearly accomplished that, pinning 12 out the 13 of them, all but the person who would become the gold medalist at heavyweight that year, Harry Steel (He still beat him, however, despite not being able to pin him)."

"While hitch-hiking from his home in Oregon to New York City in 1924 to join the U. S. Olympic team, Reed stopped at Iowa State University to work out, but was refused permission. He asked the coach if he could work out if he first pinned every member of the wrestling team. The coach agreed. Reed proceeded to pin every Iowa State wrestler and he got his workout."

"During practice for the Olympics in Paris, Reed bet he could pin Harry Steel, the U. S. heavyweight champion and eventual gold medal winner in that weight class. He not only pinned Steel, but he did it five times in fifteen minutes."

giphy.gif

tenor.gif

I don't know if the PINNED part of the story is exaggerated in some way, but this isn't the first time a smaller world level competitor was said to be able to beat most or all of the remainder of his teammates.

Dan Gable was able to beat everyone on his Olympic team at least up to 198 (Ben Peterson, who won gold, basically says that Gable was the one who raised him up to that level, and kicked his butt from the first time they wrestled together).  He would even wrestle Chris Taylor, and would wear him out over time.

I've heard similar stories about Tommy Evans; Wayne Baughman states that he could pin everyone on the world team, although Evans ended up with Olympic silver.

23 hours ago, Sheerstress said:

(Gable) would even wrestle Chris Taylor, and would wear him out over time.

When I attended a University of Iowa wrestling camp my freshman year of high school I outright asked Gable if he ever worked out with Taylor.  He said he did, but only from the top position as Taylor's size was obviously too much to over come from neutral or bottom.  

Per Gable's own words he could turn Taylor from time to time over to his back. 

Giving up 300 lbs and he could turn him. 

Now that's IMPRESSIVE 

From A Season on the Mat: Dan Gable and the Pursuit of Perfection:

“…It was a carryover from his college days, when Gable scoured the wrestling room for workout partners of any size and weight.  He wanted to improve his conditioning and technique, and he needed opposition and resistance.  He wrestled man many times his size (5-9, 140), including his Iowa state and Olympic teammate Chris Taylor, who weighed more than 400 lb. (“I can do pretty good with him for about the 1st 30 minutes.  After that, he tires me out and I can't do anything,” Said Taylor, who died in 1979.)”

8 hours ago, 1032004 said:

I'm skeptical of the Cornell bios:

https://cornellbigred.com/sports/wrestling/roster/rami-pellumbi/50480

Prior to Cornell

• Was a USA Wrestling Triple Crown state champion at 152 pounds while wrestling at South Anchorage HS.
• Went 41-1 as a senior with 44 bonus wins.

Forfeits?  Time traveler?

9 hours ago, 1032004 said:

Prior to Cornell

• Was a USA Wrestling Triple Crown state champion at 152 pounds while wrestling at South Anchorage HS.

Maybe it means he had 85 wins since it doesn't say bonus point wins.

On 11/19/2019 at 9:11 AM, Plasmodium said:

We all know these stories are Bill Brasky BS!!    Dan Gable was destroying the world in practice and beyond until he wrestled 19 YO, unproven Lee Kemp.   Paul Bunyan is fake news folks!!!

I was at the Olympic training camp in 1976 at Brockport State.  Gable and Kemp were both there working out.  We were all watching.  Gable took Kemp down at least 15 times.  Kemp had ZERO take downs.  Extremely impressive.  Yes, this was after Lee beat him while Gable was injured with a pinched nerve.

3 hours ago, leshismore said:

I was at the Olympic training camp in 1976 at Brockport State.  Gable and Kemp were both there working out.  We were all watching.  Gable took Kemp down at least 15 times.  Kemp had ZERO take downs.  Extremely impressive.  Yes, this was after Lee beat him while Gable was injured with a pinched nerve.

Let me guess - End of practice and Kemp was exhausted?

On 11/19/2019 at 9:46 AM, MedicineMan said:

Double elbow figure four?

robin-reed-pinning-opponent-400.jpg

Looking cool and professional, Robin Reed pins an opponent at Oregon
State University, then known as Oregon Agricultural College, in the
1920s. (Image: OSU Athletics)

How does one even get in this position?

4 minutes ago, russelscout said:

How does one even get in this position?

Ever pin somebody with a figure 4? I have, and it  certainly didn't look like whatever that hold was in that pic! The figure-4 was a regular thing back when I wrestled, heard it was illegal now.  I still remember how to do it: Flatten them out, chickenwing an arm behind their back, and walk 'em around until they are on their back and your nuts are in their face, then you lock the figure 4 and pull up on their head/neck. Definitely what they call a "Jr High move", but it worked!

19 minutes ago, TobusRex said:

Ever pin somebody with a figure 4? I have, and it  certainly didn't look like whatever that hold was in that pic! The figure-4 was a regular thing back when I wrestled, heard it was illegal now.  I still remember how to do it: Flatten them out, chickenwing an arm behind their back, and walk 'em around until they are on their back and your nuts are in their face, then you lock the figure 4 and pull up on their head/neck. Definitely what they call a "Jr High move", but it worked!

Very familiar with the figure four. I dont get how you end up with both arms in a figure four. 

On 11/19/2019 at 10:24 PM, 1032004 said:

Prior to Cornell

Wow, so good he has three more bonus wins than matches. An amazing stat - and they didn't even have New Math back then.

Reed is lucky he didn't have to wrestler Bobby Douglas, the only man to beat Dan Gable five times.