Stuntman08

ASU vs Penn St

26 minutes ago, Stuntman08 said:

What are your thoughts on the matchup this Friday? 

Possible lineups ? 

PSU line up might be like this:

125 Teske

133 RBY

141 Nick Lee

149 Verkleeren

157 Berge OR Pipher (if Berge can't go)

165 Cenzo

174 Hall

184 Creighton Edsell (Shak ain't ready)

197 Conel OR Austin Hoopes

Hwt Cassar

Wrestlestat has ASU winning at 149 Maruca and 184 Zahid, but I could see them winning 125, 157 if no Berge, and 197 as well. I could also see PSU winning 149 because Maruca has dropped some matches and Verkleeren is no walk over. 

Edited by TBar1977

23 minutes ago, cangemi said:

PS why is shak.not ready?

Shak had surgery on his knee. He won't be making his first match back be against the #1 ranked 2x defending national champ from the weight class below.

Personally I see three projected match-ups in this dual where Arizona State could "upset" their Penn State opponent.   Will all three of those happen?  Doubtful at best - but possible nonetheless.

I wish I could watch it but like 90 percent of the U.S. population I do not have access to the PAC 12 network.   I will be switching to Sling TV in December - after utilizing YouTubeTV for the football season (Sept thru Nov.) and Sling TV - as I understand it - does still have the 6 PAC 12 channels.  Sling has had the PAC 12 channels in the past but I thought they had dropped them this year - then I checked and it APPEARS they still have the PAC 12 channels.

It will be interesting to see who goes at 197lbs.  How serious is Conel's injury?  Do they expect him back this year?  And if they do are they still going to run with him instead of Beard?  An injury setback might be too much for him.  He has already looked rusty from not competing for a year and if he has to now rehab an injury will he have enough time when he comes back to shake off all the rust that we've seen early?  If they are going to go with Beard you'd think it would make sense for them to get him out on the mat as soon as possible.  There really is no benefit to hold Beard out  until later in the season if he is going to be the guy at the NCAA tournament this year.  I know that Cael does not like to make these decisions this early in the year but this one seems like it should be made sooner rather than later.

Edited by StallWarning

2 hours ago, StallWarning said:

It will be interesting to see who goes at 197lbs.  How serious is Conel's injury?  Do they expect him back this year?  And if they do are they still going to run with him instead of Beard?  An injury setback might be too much for him.  He has already looked rusty from not competing for a year and if he has to now rehab an injury will he have enough time when he comes back to shake off all the rust that we've seen early?  If they are going to go with Beard you'd think it would make sense for them to get him out on the mat as soon as possible.  There really is no benefit to hold Beard out  until later in the season if he is going to be the guy at the NCAA tournament this year.  I know that Cael does not like to make these decisions this early in the year but this one seems like it should be made sooner rather than later.

Conel looked like he just rolled an ankle the other day but it was the same leg he was wearing a knee brace on so I don’t think it was severe but I also doubt they would send him out a week later...I think it’s a possibility Berge wrestles for the first time at 157 

If PSU doesn't wrestle Berge, Rasheed, and Conel/Beard, they could be tiny bit vulnerable.  Even if that's the case they will absolutely need wins out of 149 and 157 from Maruca and Teemer.  Not sure what Teemer's status is at this point.  

ASU wins would be 125, 149, 157, 184, 197, with bonus at 184 possibly getting them over the hump.  Otherwise they need a huge upset somewhere.  

5 hours ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Conel looked like he just rolled an ankle the other day but it was the same leg he was wearing a knee brace on so I don’t think it was severe but I also doubt they would send him out a week later...I think it’s a possibility Berge wrestles for the first time at 157 

I don't think we see Berge until after the new year.  I really don't have any actual info other than Cael typically plays things safe until January and with the scare that he had with the head injury I could see having Berge take a breather until January.  A matter of fact, I could see Berge and Conel both being held out until January along with Shak with backups manning those weights with Beard keeping his RS as well.  I think Cael is conservative in this regard.  He cares about the NCAA tournament more than anything else.

8 hours ago, StallWarning said:

They don't have a large chance of losing this dual. I don't expect the shirt to come off.

2 hours ago, Antitroll2828 said:

He is a true freshman he greyshirted last year he’s in redshirt currently 

Im 99% sure thats his point. Hes a true freshman eligiblity wise, but he isnt really a true freshman